U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 04:58 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'd much prefer a Canadian summer to an American one. I even find the summer weather of D.C. to be unbearable for my tastes unless at a pool.

I am in Tennessee, and yes our summers are quite hot and humid compared to yours. I reckon many of you would find our weather intolerable in July. Most days in the last week were in the low to mid 90s. It is the trade off we have for the mild winters we have in the Southern US. Further south than here, Florida for example is even worse. The humidity that close to the ocean is outlandish. The US has major climate diversity. Northern states like Minnesota, Maine and Michigan have a climate that most Canadians would recognize with very cold snowy winters and mild pleasant summers. Most of the US however is significantly warmer than those northern tier states. Our western states are even more different, hot and very dry. Not many nations have the climate diversity we have within our borders. China is the only one I can think of with a similar situation climate wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 06:36 AM

18,327 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
True, but that's partly because my kids are off from school and activities in the summer.

It's not the case for some of my friends who are out skiing in Gatineau Park after dinner several nights a week.
Or skating the miles and miles of the Rideau Canal to occasion the sip of a hot mulled whine or Rum toddy with any type of cuisine one can imagine at one of the plethora of easily accessed venues along the way while getting valuable exercise and not fearing a DUI in the process.

Or snowmobile those parts of Canada on literally thousands of miles of dedicated trails and stop at wonderful old lodges open year round now in the vast wilderness that is still the major part of Canada without listening to the bleat of horns from vehicles all jockeying for position among the herd of lemmings with windows rolled up and A/C cranked, all trying to get through the smog of a typical southern city on any given day in whatever season.

Bonus: you get to enjoy a longer lifespan while doing so.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:21 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
I know I sorted of started it, but let's not drag this thread into another climate debate.

I am sure if the British want to move to Canada and qualified, they will be highly welcomed considering the similar language and culture. However, that won't happen because it is just a phase of frustration. Moving to a different country involves too much hassle not many people would choose, especially when there is really not much to gain.

I also don't understand why people get so upset about Brexit. The UK chose to leave the super-national organization whose regulation and laws supersede those of the British ones, so what exactly to gain by moving to Canada, a country which doesn't belong to such an organization either? I fail to see the logic here. I also don't understand why countries like Canada and US should do everything to convince the UK to stay back then, when they themselves have no interest in having a union of the same sort. Why are we saying the UK turns its back on Europe and resists globalization? The EU is a unique experiment and we don't have it anywhere else. It is not like the UK will stop having international relations with Europe, so what's about the frustration and disappointment, especially from non-EU countries?

The EU is far more than just a free-trade union - it targets to create a super government, a unified political union, with various nations becoming more like provinces. If Brussels passes a law and regulation, each of its member will have to abide, let it be economic, financial, social or immigration. So does Canada want regulations coming from Washington DC or Mexico City saying how many immigrants Canada should accept and what kind of policies Ontario or Alberta should have? Think about it, that's the kind of choice UK is facing. It is not really about anti-immigration or anti-trading. So many people are missing the point and comment very liberally.

If EU countries want to go ahead with it, that's perfectly fine. I hope it will succeed. But the UK made their choice and I think it is a reasonable one.

And speaking of globalization, it is extremely dangerous that people nowadays are just assuming it is a good thing. I became increasingly suspicious of it.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:25 AM

5,967 posts, read 7,332,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am in Tennessee, and yes our summers are quite hot and humid compared to yours. I reckon many of you would find our weather intolerable in July. Most days in the last week were in the low to mid 90s. It is the trade off we have for the mild winters we have in the Southern US. Further south than here, Florida for example is even worse. The humidity that close to the ocean is outlandish. The US has major climate diversity. Northern states like Minnesota, Maine and Michigan have a climate that most Canadians would recognize with very cold snowy winters and mild pleasant summers. Most of the US however is significantly warmer than those northern tier states. Our western states are even more different, hot and very dry. Not many nations have the climate diversity we have within our borders. China is the only one I can think of with a similar situation climate wise.
About 5 years ago I went to Nashville in late July. The entire week it was near 100 F/37 C, it was the most unbearable heat I have basically ever been in as Pittsburgh hasn't been that hot in decades. Give me a Montreal or Ottawa climate over a Tennessee one any day. The only more populated area of Canada I couldn't bear climate wise would have to be Sask and Manitoba, those places are just too ridiculous with the cold.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 06-28-2016 at 07:55 AM..

Old 06-28-2016, 07:32 AM

18,327 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
About 5 years ago I went to Nashville in late July. The entire week it was near 100 F/37 C, it was the most unbearable heat I have basically ever been in as Pittsburgh hasn't been that hot in decades. Give me a Montreal or Ottawa climate over a Tennessee one any day. The only more populated area of Canada I couldn't bear climate wise would have to Sask and Manitoba, those places are just too ridiculous with the cold.
Sensible outlook to arrive at the conclusion that in both countries, the ability to find a spot you prefer and that you're comfortable being in, exists in the multiples.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:27 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,718,801 times
You guys have room for them

Old 06-28-2016, 09:33 AM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am sure he can.

But I doubt he can cross-country ski 15 minutes from his house to a chalet in wooded hills and have a candle lit fondue dinner by a wood burning stove.

Variety is the spice of life to me.

Different strokes for different folks.
No but I can be on the gulf coast sucking down fresh oysters and shrimp in about 20 minutes, watching the ships come in.

Cold weather is highly over-rated.

I put my 30+ years in with crappy winters, and yes skiing is nice, the mountains are nice, but so is golfing in December, or not being able to actually remember the last time I wore a coat.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:12 AM

873 posts, read 816,507 times
I much prefer hot weather. I would rather have extreme heat and humidity over extreme cold.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:34 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,450,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I much prefer hot weather. I would rather have extreme heat and humidity over extreme cold.
You got that right.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 AM

3,920 posts, read 2,735,207 times
Well it looks like CETA is the focus of a controversy in the EU right now:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/44584592-post884.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada