U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:50 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
. For example my family from Syria and Lebanon cannot always understand Moroccan people when they speak Arabic because they use a lot of French words mixed in. For example Moroccan people say Oui/ yes in French a lot when speaking. I don't speak Arabic, but have become able to tell the different accents apart better over time. It is like English in Canada vs in UK.

My kids' friends who are from Algeria-Morocco and from Lebanon have some trouble understanding each other. And they all have a strong French influence. But none of them have had any formal schooling in Arabic. They've all learned it only at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,783,017 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My kids' friends who are from Algeria-Morocco and from Lebanon have some trouble understanding each other. And they all have a strong French influence. But none of them have had any formal schooling in Arabic. They've all learned it only at home.
If they learned from home they are not likely speaking classic Arabic. In North Africa they speak different regionally. They could also be speaking different types of Berber delects mixed with Arabic. Even in these countries people speak different languages and can't understand each other unless more standard Arabic is spoken.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Quote:
Other groups in Quebec from that part of the world:

Egyptian 20,000
Syrian 15,000 (before the mass arrival of refugees)
Tunisian 10,000

Note that for all groups except the Lebanese, their presence is fairly well-established but the populations until fairly recently was quite small. The Lebanese have been fairly numerous in Quebec for quite some time.
Are these cultural demographics scattered throughout Quebec or confined to just the Montreal area.?

Old 10-03-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Are these cultural demographics scattered throughout Quebec or confined to just the Montreal area.?
Mostly in Montreal and a bit in Gatineau, Sherbrooke and Quebec City in that order.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:35 AM

9,641 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Quote:
Mostly in Montreal and a bit in Gatineau, Sherbrooke and Quebec City in that order.
By far a larger amount in Montreal from what I recall.

On a side note, I remember going to an amazing Lebanese market with my mom as a kid. I forget the name of it... There were a few other Arab stores/markets in the area. Anyone know which part of the island that might be?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM

477 posts, read 426,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
By far a larger amount in Montreal from what I recall.

On a side note, I remember going to an amazing Lebanese market with my mom as a kid. I forget the name of it... There were a few other Arab stores/markets in the area. Anyone know which part of the island that might be?
Adonis?

Old 10-05-2016, 05:01 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Interesting site i ran across=
Cook's Thesaurus: Sausages

As for Moroccan restaurants in Quebec?
theres a few good onesin Montreal =Moroccan restaurants in Montreal

Out of curiosity Mouldy hows the Moroccan restaurant scene down in Mississippi?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 9,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Interesting site i ran across=
Cook's Thesaurus: Sausages

As for Moroccan restaurants in Quebec?
theres a few good onesin Montreal =Moroccan restaurants in Montreal

Out of curiosity Mouldy hows the Moroccan restaurant scene down in Mississippi?
Nonexistent.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:29 AM

9,641 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Yes, that would be it. Thanks!!!

Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 AM

My Lebanese friends here in Gatineau have big time Adonis envy.

Although all of them have relatives in Montreal so they get to go there often anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or