U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2016, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Reputation: 8603

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
. For example my family from Syria and Lebanon cannot always understand Moroccan people when they speak Arabic because they use a lot of French words mixed in. For example Moroccan people say Oui/ yes in French a lot when speaking. I don't speak Arabic, but have become able to tell the different accents apart better over time. It is like English in Canada vs in UK.

.

My kids' friends who are from Algeria-Morocco and from Lebanon have some trouble understanding each other. And they all have a strong French influence. But none of them have had any formal schooling in Arabic. They've all learned it only at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,783,017 times
Reputation: 4619
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My kids' friends who are from Algeria-Morocco and from Lebanon have some trouble understanding each other. And they all have a strong French influence. But none of them have had any formal schooling in Arabic. They've all learned it only at home.
If they learned from home they are not likely speaking classic Arabic. In North Africa they speak different regionally. They could also be speaking different types of Berber delects mixed with Arabic. Even in these countries people speak different languages and can't understand each other unless more standard Arabic is spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 AM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Other groups in Quebec from that part of the world:


Egyptian 20,000
Syrian 15,000 (before the mass arrival of refugees)
Tunisian 10,000


Note that for all groups except the Lebanese, their presence is fairly well-established but the populations until fairly recently was quite small. The Lebanese have been fairly numerous in Quebec for quite some time.
Are these cultural demographics scattered throughout Quebec or confined to just the Montreal area.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Are these cultural demographics scattered throughout Quebec or confined to just the Montreal area.?
Mostly in Montreal and a bit in Gatineau, Sherbrooke and Quebec City in that order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2016, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,641 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Reputation: 12103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Mostly in Montreal and a bit in Gatineau, Sherbrooke and Quebec City in that order.
By far a larger amount in Montreal from what I recall.

On a side note, I remember going to an amazing Lebanese market with my mom as a kid. I forget the name of it... There were a few other Arab stores/markets in the area. Anyone know which part of the island that might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Montreal > Quebec > Canada
477 posts, read 426,838 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
By far a larger amount in Montreal from what I recall.

On a side note, I remember going to an amazing Lebanese market with my mom as a kid. I forget the name of it... There were a few other Arab stores/markets in the area. Anyone know which part of the island that might be?
Adonis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 05:01 AM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Reputation: 29864
Interesting site i ran across=
Cook's Thesaurus: Sausages

As for Moroccan restaurants in Quebec?
theres a few good onesin Montreal =Moroccan restaurants in Montreal

Out of curiosity Mouldy hows the Moroccan restaurant scene down in Mississippi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,531 posts, read 9,414,676 times
Reputation: 6696
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Interesting site i ran across=
Cook's Thesaurus: Sausages

As for Moroccan restaurants in Quebec?
theres a few good onesin Montreal =Moroccan restaurants in Montreal

Out of curiosity Mouldy hows the Moroccan restaurant scene down in Mississippi?
Nonexistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,641 posts, read 6,621,119 times
Reputation: 12103
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Yes, that would be it. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2016, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Reputation: 8603
My Lebanese friends here in Gatineau have big time Adonis envy.


Although all of them have relatives in Montreal so they get to go there often anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top