U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 05:48 PM

9,522 posts, read 9,405,124 times

Advertisements

If merguez sausage is popular in Quebec, does that mean Moroccan restaurants are rising in popularity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
I don't remember them being very popular when I lived there. I can only remember seeing two Moroccan restaurants,but they might be rising in popularity now. Shish taouk and shawarma places reign supreme in Montreal.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:34 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
I'd say yes, they're gradually getting a following... I found a website that lists around 28 Moroccan restaurants in Montreal, all pretty yummy sounding. No idea how new they are, though, of if the popularity is increasing.

Ottawa has around 5 or 6, and there's one in downtown Gatineau, if that indicates anything.

Tajines and Moroccan cookbooks have become more popular in the past 15 years. I don't know if this is mainstream.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:59 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
There's some good Morroccan places in in Montreal, but Lebanese still reigns supreme as the most popular arab cuisine. God I miss Boustan, "The Creation" is a fast food work of art.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:35 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
I agree with what others have said. It's not as mainstream as Lebanese (or, say, Thai) but it is growing in popularity.

Not really a restaurant, but one thing that is quite popular in Quebec is a méchoui. It's offered by companies that are kind of like caterers. It's the roasting of an entire mutton or lamb. Popular when people have a big family gathering at a cottage or on a rural property.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:32 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,777,986 times
Default Popular where ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If merguez sausage is popular in Quebec, does that mean Moroccan restaurants are rising in popularity?
Do you mean merguez sausage is a popular items in restaurants or found in grocery stores. In my opinion you only really enjoy Moroccan food in most restaurants if you have never had homemade Moroccan food. Nothing can compare after that. Eat and cafe culture is a huge part of Moroccan culture. Recipes are passed down in families and have been perfected for decades. Also looks ot steps and ingredients. I can't justify spending 3-5 hours cooking each meal twice a day on a daily basis personally, but this is pretty normal there. I am pretty surprised there are not more Moroccan Restaurants in Quebec then what other posters have described. Are there more other types of North African restaurants ex Algerian or Tunisian?

Old 06-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Do you mean merguez sausage is a popular items in restaurants or found in grocery stores. In my opinion you only really enjoy Moroccan food in most restaurants if you have never had homemade Moroccan food. Nothing can compare after that. Eat and cafe culture is a huge part of Moroccan culture. Recipes are passed down in families and have been perfected for decades. Also looks ot steps and ingredients. I can't justify spending 3-5 hours cooking each meal twice a day on a daily basis personally, but this is pretty normal there. I am pretty surprised there are not more Moroccan Restaurants in Quebec then what other posters have described. Are there more other types of North African restaurants ex Algerian or Tunisian?
There are Algerian and Tunisian restaurants too, but the restaurant scene from that part of the world is really dominated by Lebanese here.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:27 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I just found some listings online that provided names of dine-in restaurants, I have no idea how inclusive the lists were. Take-outs weren't included. They may be more than what I listed. There may also be more in Montreal's suburbs--for instance, I don't know if Laval was included in the listings I saw. Etc.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,777,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I just found some listings online that provided names of dine-in restaurants, I have no idea how inclusive the lists were. Take-outs weren't included. They may be more than what I listed. There may also be more in Montreal's suburbs--for instance, I don't know if Laval was included in the listings I saw. Etc.
Personally I am not really interested in North African food. It is great, but I have had it too often to care at this point and also like I said if you have it made by Moroccan people in their homes, a restaurant can't be comparable. I am just surprised because I though there were North African people in that part of Canada. We have some Moroccan restaurants in Toronto, but in my opinion they are more about the general atmosphere ... and the food is okay at best. I prefer Turkisk and Persian food.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:07 PM

Approximate populations in Quebec by origin:

Algerian 25-35,000
Moroccan 50-60,000
Lebanese 150-200,000

Note also that the Lebanese community has been here for much longer.
All three communities are growing quite fast at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or