U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 AM

490 posts, read 1,498,042 times

Advertisements

Well I don't know if in all of Canada, but it felt like that in Alberta. I was there just a few days ago, and couldn't help but notice that. I'm Mexican and I am used to seeing like 1 in 5 people as a Mexican in the US if not even more, so yeah obviously more up north there wouldn't be so many. There aren't so many Mexicans or any other Hispanic or Latin Americans in Canada, but I noticed that Filipinos and Indians are quite numerous, especially in the low or no skilled labor jobs and I think they make up a similar percentage of the city's/province's population. These people occupy jobs like in fast food, and cleaning hotels and whatnot.

I do want to say I like the Filipinos and Indians, especially the Filipinos. They are some true sweet hearts. They are very nice and warm and welcoming and I don't mean to put down these nationalities, I respect these people who work hard and came from far away to make a living to better themselves economically, and otherwise in ways they couldn't in their own countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 05:29 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,043,103 times
I don't think so. There are a lot of Filipinos and Indians (people from India, I guess is what you mean?) in Canada, but they don't make up a huge percentage of the population like in the U.S. yet. Canada's minorities are a more mixed group than that. The Filipinos and the Indians aren't really dominant.

We also have similarly large numbers of Chinese, other south asians like Pakistanis, people from the Middle East like Lebanese, people from Africa and the Caribbean... Filipinos and Indians don't really stand out as much as Latinos in the U.S.

Filipinos and Indians don't just work in service industries, or in minimum wage jobs, either. Nearly every Indian person I've ever met had a university education and a middle class job. Filipinos often come to work here as caregivers, nurses, in construction, in fisheries, or in other industries.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
I agree with Ottawa. They certainly aren't stigmatized as being society's underpaid "support staff" like they are in the U.S., and they work in a wide variety of fields.

Canada doesn't really have a large mass of immigrants from a single origin like the U.S. does from Mexico. Add onto it the fact that there is no immigrant group that has a historic "founder" presence in regions of Canada like the Mexicans have in some parts of the U.S. And also Canada doesn't really have an illegal immigration issue either.

That said, in Canadian cities certain immigrant groups are typecast into certain occupations by the general population (taxi drivers, convenience store owners, some fast food joints, etc.). But the groups are often different from city to city.

Last edited by Acajack; 06-30-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
First please stop calling aboriginal people "Indians". Why do we repeat the mistake people made 500 years ago? Plus, Canadians don't usually even do that, so why follow the American stupidity??

Speaking of support staff, Canada does seem less segregated. While I was living in LA, you seldom see a white person working as cashiers at grocery stores or fast food restaurant, like 90% of the time, it is latino or black people. In Toronto, most of them are white as far as I observe.

However, for some reason, the taxi industry seems to be monopolized by Indians.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Thats seem to be true right across Canada. They also seem to own a lot of chain stores like 7/11 and fried chicken places.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:48 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
In Ottawa (and Gatineau) the taxi industry is dominated by Middle Easterners - mostly Lebanese.

In Montreal it's mostly dominated by Haitians. (At least that's the stereotype.)

Old 06-30-2016, 09:52 AM

7,213 posts, read 6,567,148 times
In BC there are really a lot of Filipinos working in the health care industry, and it seems like most of the big locally based long distance trucking businesses and the taxi businesses are owned/operated by Indians. Indians, Vietnamese and Dutch farmers dominate in agriculture in the lower mainland, big successful farms and greenhouses that are producing anything that can be grown here, from all manner of berries to veggies to cut flowers to trees, mostly for export.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:34 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,484,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
First please stop calling aboriginal people "Indians". Why do we repeat the mistake people made 500 years ago? Plus, Canadians don't usually even do that, so why follow the American stupidity??

Speaking of support staff, Canada does seem less segregated. While I was living in LA, you seldom see a white person working as cashiers at grocery stores or fast food restaurant, like 90% of the time, it is latino or black people. In Toronto, most of them are white as far as I observe.

I hear you, as someone of Indian descent as a kid it miffed me that there was so much unnecessary ambiguity about what ethnic group the word referred to in Canada, but I've come to understand that the word has an entrenched history that isn't going anywhere. You're wrong to say that Canadians do not use the word Indian to refer to local indigenous peoples, its fairly common out west especially, and most importantly it is the indigenous people themselves who use the word to refer to themselves the most. Almost every First Nations person I have ever met in BC has referred to themselves as Indian when identifying racially, as in when not referring to themselves as Snuneymuxw or Musqueam or something else.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In BC there are really a lot of Filipinos working in the health care industry, and it seems like most of the big locally based long distance trucking businesses and the taxi businesses are owned/operated by Indians. Indians, Vietnamese and Dutch farmers dominate in agriculture in the lower mainland, big successful farms and greenhouses that are producing anything that can be grown here, from all manner of berries to veggies to cut flowers to trees, mostly for export.

when you say healthcare, you probably mean nurses, which I find a lot in Toronto region too. Doctors, not so much.

A mystery to me is although there are a lot of Koreans, judging by how much Korean heard on the streets, I have absolutely no idea where the Koreans work. I seldom encounter a Korean person in work.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
There are a lot of Filipinos here in Winnipeg. Winnipeg has one of the highest percentages of Filipinos in Canada. This video was shot in the Garden city area of Northern Winnipeg. There are also a lot of Indians in this area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv4qnHA0Te0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or