U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2016, 08:39 PM
 
Location: New York Area
15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Reputation: 12370

Advertisements

An Alaskan Village Where Grizzlies Roam and Canada Rules (if Anyone Does)

This article brought tears to my eyes on the occasion of our similar independence days. Way to go, Canada!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,172 posts, read 1,752,214 times
Reputation: 2641
Excellent article, JBG; thanks for posting it.

Interestingly, I was speaking with a local friend recently. She grew up in Coutts, Alberta; which, if you look at a map, sits directly across the border from Sweetgrass, Montana. Now, in southern Coutts is a softball diamond, where right-field is necessarily shortened by the international boundary, and she used to play softball there.

Anyway, it was possible for left-handed heavy-hitters to hit to right field and out of the park--not just out of the park, but out of Canada and into the USA. How to get the ball back without climbing the simple, four-foot-high page-wire fence and setting off an international incident?

Easy. The Canadian players called their American friends in Sweetgrass. The two communities are quite close, and friendships have formed. Anyway, as I understand it, a typical phone conversation would be something along the lines of, "Hey, we're playing ball tonight. If you want to watch the game from your side, great; and we'd really appreciate it if you could throw back any balls that land on your side." And so, when a ball was hit into the US, the Americans would throw it back across the international boundary, and continue to watch the game.

Things like this, and your Hyder/Stewart example, make us closer than we may realize. As JFK said in an address to the Canadian Parliament in 1961, "Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends."

A happy Fourth of July to you, JBG, and to our other American friends who come into the Canada forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2016, 11:15 PM
 
Location: New York Area
15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Reputation: 12370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Things like this, and your Hyder/Stewart example, make us closer than we may realize. As JFK said in an address to the Canadian Parliament in 1961, "Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends."
Thanks for reminding me of that speech. I don't think the leader of the Progressive Conservative party (and also PM) at the time particularly enjoyed the speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2016, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,172 posts, read 1,752,214 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Thanks for reminding me of that speech. I don't think the leader of the Progressive Conservative party (and also PM) at the time particularly enjoyed the speech.
Probably not.

Interestingly, Mr. Kennedy made the same protocol gaffe that Mr. Obama did recently, when he spoke to the Canadian Parliament: one never addresses the Prime Minister of Canada as "Mr. Prime Minister." One addresses him or her simply as, "Prime Minister." This is not political correctness; it is just what it has developed over time, and devolved to us from the British Parliament. Transcriptions of House of Commons debates are full of direct questions like, "Prime Minister, tell us...," and "Prime Minister, are you willing to...."

Mr. Kennedy's, and Mr. Obama's, speeches to Parliament should have started off thusly: "Mr. Speaker of the Senate, Mr. Speaker of the House, Prime Minister, Members of the Canadian Houses of Parliament, distinguished guests and friends." As Wikipedia states,

Quote:
Canada continues the Westminster tradition of using the title Prime Minister when one is speaking to the federal head of government directly; this is in contrast to the United States protocol of addressing the federal head of government as mister (as in, Mister President); the Department of Canadian Heritage advises that it is incorrect to use the term Mr Prime Minister.
But we're Canadian. We'll forgive those gaffes, and probably apologize to the US State Department later, for not making their protocol officers aware. We are Canadian after all; apologies are in our blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 11:51 AM
 
Location: New York Area
15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Reputation: 12370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
But we're Canadian. We'll forgive those gaffes, and probably apologize to the US State Department later, for not making their protocol officers aware. We are Canadian after all; apologies are in our blood.
I think Mr. Kennedy and Mr. Diefenbaker had many more problems between them than honorifics. But why Dief caved on the AVRO is beyond me.

Then again, I know nothing about Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 04:51 PM
 
18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Reputation: 13332
Mr, Diefenbaker could be an altogether petty man and had problems with many of his peers. The subtleties of tact and diplomacy escaped the man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 07:10 PM
 
Location: New York Area
15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Reputation: 12370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Mr, Diefenbaker could be an altogether petty man and had problems with many of his peers. The subtleties of tact and diplomacy escaped the man.
Sounds like another fairly recent Progressive Conservative PM, who went fro ma record majority to two ridings. Both elected with overwhelming if not record majorities. Both suffered massive falls.

I wonder why this is? I just don't know enough about Canada to hazard a guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 AM
 
18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Reputation: 13332
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Sounds like another fairly recent Progressive Conservative PM, who went fro ma record majority to two ridings. Both elected with overwhelming if not record majorities. Both suffered massive falls.

I wonder why this is? I just don't know enough about Canada to hazard a guess.
I consider it a result of unbridled arrogance shown by those who believe too strongly in the "my way or the highway" method of governance.

There's a demographic of routine voters who desire transparency and conscience voting as a priority based upon what's good for the country firstly and what's good for the party lastly. We take them to the woodshed when they refuse to listen.

We keep dreaming of such a day coming where good ideas emanating from across the aisle manage consensus regardless of origins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Excellent article, JBG; thanks for posting it.

Interestingly, I was speaking with a local friend recently. She grew up in Coutts, Alberta; which, if you look at a map, sits directly across the border from Sweetgrass, Montana. Now, in southern Coutts is a softball diamond, where right-field is necessarily shortened by the international boundary, and she used to play softball there.

Anyway, it was possible for left-handed heavy-hitters to hit to right field and out of the park--not just out of the park, but out of Canada and into the USA. How to get the ball back without climbing the simple, four-foot-high page-wire fence and setting off an international incident?

Easy. The Canadian players called their American friends in Sweetgrass. The two communities are quite close, and friendships have formed. Anyway, as I understand it, a typical phone conversation would be something along the lines of, "Hey, we're playing ball tonight. If you want to watch the game from your side, great; and we'd really appreciate it if you could throw back any balls that land on your side." And so, when a ball was hit into the US, the Americans would throw it back across the international boundary, and continue to watch the game.

Things like this, and your Hyder/Stewart example, make us closer than we may realize. As JFK said in an address to the Canadian Parliament in 1961, "Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends."

A happy Fourth of July to you, JBG, and to our other American friends who come into the Canada forum!
Bit of trivia. The phone service in Hyder is provided by TELUS. ( formerly BCTEL )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 09:04 PM
 
Location: New York Area
15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Reputation: 12370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Bit of trivia. The phone service in Hyder is provided by TELUS. ( formerly BCTEL )
Interesting. Can the residents of Hyder and the operators understand one another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top