Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best when you equally weight 5 factors: public libraries, parks, transport, housing co
Calgary 0 0%
Edmonton 1 5.00%
Halifax 2 10.00%
Montreal 8 40.00%
Quebec City 0 0%
Toronto 5 25.00%
Vancouver 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Mont Royal park in MTL is an awesome urban park. Great location, right in the middle of the city. I don't know if any other city has such a big park in such a central area. The park definitely gives the city an interesting landscape. And there are many parks varying in size all over the place.

Libraries in MTL are great. Transportation is great, possibly the best out of the big three cities in Canada. Montreal also has great bike path coverage, even downtown.

Health is probably not much better than other places, but it is definitely more affordable when it comes to housing than other big cities.
No other city with a big centrally located park? Mt Royal park is 200 hectares.

Stanley Park 405 hectares, right downtown.

Central Park ( the name even indicates it's central ) is 341 hectares.

Golden Gate Park is 412 hectares and central as well.

Sydney Australia has Centennial Park at 189 hectares.

Englischer Garten in Munich is 373 hectares

Tiergarten in Berlin is 210 hectares .

Even Paris has the Bois de Boulogne, which some may consider just outside the centre...but it's still surrounded by city, is a whopping 845 hectares.

These are just the tip of the iceberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Even Paris has the Bois de Boulogne, which some may consider just outside the centre...but it's still surrounded by city, is a whopping 845 hectares.

Relax, I think what he meant to say is that it's a very impressive city park and only a handful of cities around the world have parks of this calibre. I think what makes Mont Royal stands out is that it is an actual mountain right in the middle of the downtown core of the city, which offers some pretty unique views, architecture, and landscapes not typically seen in a conventional city park like NYC Central Park or Tiergarten.

For example, buildings like St. Joseph's Oratory would not even look half as impressive had it not been built on the slopes of Mont Royal:

Hôpital Royal Victoria built on the slopes of Mont Royal:

Last edited by bostonkid123; 07-18-2016 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Relax, I think what he meant to say is that it's a very impressive city park and only a handful of cities around the world have parks of this calibre. I think what makes Mont Royal stands out is that it is an actual mountain right in the middle of the downtown core of the city, which offers some pretty unique views, architecture, and landscapes not typically seen in a conventional city park like NYC Central Park or Tiergarten.
Perhaps..but he didn't say that. Still, in terms of centrally located urban parks....there are more impressive ones than a park on a hill.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:11 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Perhaps..but he didn't say that. Still, in terms of centrally located urban parks....there are more impressive ones than a park on a hill.
Again like all things on C-D, beauty is subjective to one's own preferences and unique experiences.

I absolutely love Tiergarten leading up to the Bundestag and Englischer Gartens in Muenchen, having walked and biked through both countless times while in school in those cities. I also love Mont Royal as well.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:15 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:

I was talking about the Canadian cities listed on the poll. I didn't realize stanley park was that big I stand corrected.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM

Yeah that is another great thing about Mont Royal, it has a lot of different features and it is right in the middle of the city it can be accessed from different points.

Quote:

For example, buildings like St. Joseph's Oratory would not even look half as impressive had it not been built on the slopes of Mont Royal:

Old 07-18-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Again like all things on C-D, beauty is subjective to one's own preferences and unique experiences.

I absolutely love Tiergarten leading up to the Bundestag and Englischer Gartens in Muenchen, having walked and biked through both countless times while in school in those cities. I also love Mont Royal as well.
I agree that whether one likes a park or not is totally subjective. However the post said

" I don't know if any other city has such a big park in such a central area. "

A fact that is easily disputed by listing as i did big and bigger parks in central areas of cities.

I as well have been to Tiergarten and Englischer Garden as well as Mt Royal

Old 07-18-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I was talking about the Canadian cities listed on the poll. I didn't realize stanley park was that big I stand corrected.
Even within Canada it's really not that unique. Hide Park in Toronto is 161 hectares. So basically the 3 main cities all have large centrally located parks.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I agree that whether one likes a park or not is totally subjective. However the post said

" I don't know if any other city has such a big park in such a central area. "

Like I said I was talking about Canadian cities. Stanley park is great but it really is not the central. Looking at the map is on the edge of city and mostly surrounded by water.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Even within Canada it's really not that unique. Hide Park in Toronto is 161 hectares. So basically the 3 main cities all have large centrally located parks.
I'm sorry I am an exparkdale resident, hyde park does not compare to Mont Royal. It is not exactly central either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada