U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best when you equally weight 5 factors: public libraries, parks, transport, housing co
Calgary 0 0%
Edmonton 1 5.00%
Halifax 2 10.00%
Montreal 8 40.00%
Quebec City 0 0%
Toronto 5 25.00%
Vancouver 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,804,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I have a condo on the southern border of High Park, but wouldn't exactly call it central. Most of my friends would rarely come to that area because it is quite a commute from downtown or other parts of Toronto. There are some nice restaurants and bars north of High Park on Bloor, but they are pretty sleepy and tame compared to the likes of Queen West, Spadina, or Yonge.
I like that area to some extend too, but not a exciting as other areas. It is nice, but pretty sleepy and certainly not centre, but not a long ride from downtown ( about a 2-3 hour walk )!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:05 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,804,240 times
Default Lol ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes your right again its High park. I used to live close to the intersection of King and Roncevalles. Not too far from that park. lol
That is why you knew about the Phoenix restaurant. I use to work near there. Totally interesting area where the super rich and junkies co-habit. There are several very interesting 1/2 way houses in that area. It also smells horrible because of the lake on some mornings ex raw sewage.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:34 PM

873 posts, read 818,555 times
Montreal has the best transit system and cycling system in Canada so that's a check mark for transportation. It's also very walkable. It has arguably the best city park in Canada, the Mont-Royal is just amazing. It's unique and there isn't a downtown park in any other Canadian city that is like it. Houses are very affordable, cheapest rents and mortgages out of the big cities in Canada with also low property taxes too. There are plenty of public libraries in Montreal although I'm sure the same goes for all other cities in Canada. I'm pretty sure the public libraries look cooler in Montreal though in terms of architecture. For health care, Quebec health care was rated the best for value of money in Canada. The only issue is the wait times for family doctors. Another thing is Quebec health care should theoretically be the best system in Canada and be superior to other provinces given the Quebec taxes one pays, but in reality it is very comparable to other provinces. Some may find this an issue (along with the poor quality of road and bridge infrastructure in comparison to the high taxes you pay, but that's another story). Having said that, Quebec is repeatedly rated one of the best health care systems in Canada along with Ontario. You generally won't have a problem with quality health care in Montreal. So all in all, Montreal is the winner in this list.

Last edited by GM10; 07-28-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,191,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Montreal has the best transit system and cycling system in Canada so that's a check mark for transportation. It's also very walkable. It has arguably the best city park in Canada, the Mont-Royal is just amazing. It's unique and there isn't a downtown park in any other Canadian city that is like it. Houses are very affordable, cheapest rents and mortgages out of the big cities in Canada with also low property taxes too. There are plenty of public libraries in Montreal although I'm sure the same goes for all other cities in Canada. I'm pretty sure the public libraries look cooler in Montreal though in terms of architecture. For health care, Quebec health care was rated the best for value of money in Canada. The only issue is the wait times for family doctors. Another thing is Quebec health care should theoretically be the best system in Canada and be superior to other provinces given the Quebec taxes one pays, but in reality it is very comparable to other provinces. Some may find this an issue (along with the poor quality of road and bridge infrastructure in comparison to the high taxes you pay, but that's another story). Having said that, Quebec is repeatedly rated one of the best health care systems in Canada along with Ontario. You generally won't have a problem with quality health care in Montreal. So all in all, Montreal is the winner in this list.
Infrastructure and road quality is a major pain in the neck in Montreal. I just don't understand how certain roads can fall into such disrepair. However, I have seen an uptick in road improvement projects starting this year, with major projects like the rebuilding of the spiderweb Turcot Exchange and covering of the Ville Marie Tunnel well under way, as well as smaller repavement projects. Sometimes when you drive around you feel like the entire city's road network is being ripped up simultaneously and being rebuilt this summer. Obviously, Montreal's SMT metro system is its saving grace, along with the very pedestrian/bike friendly roads and many pedestrian-only streets.

As for Mont Royal, it really is quite unique. I'm not saying places like Stanley Park in Vancouver are any less (amazingly unique as well given its location), but the neighborhoods on and around Mont Royal truly make Montreal a beauty to behold. Places like the Plateau and Parc LaFontaine you could literally spend days walking and exploring at a leisurely pace while surrounded by hundreds of neighborhood restaurants, outdoor bars, terraces - not to mention the liberal alcohol laws (open carry, public consumption allowed as long as you are drinking with "food"):

Parc Lafontaine

Avenue du parc

Typical apartment flats around Mont Royal - all at very affordable prices

Rue Prince Arthur Est - a typical pedestrian/bike mixed traffic street lined with terraces:

Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 PM

985 posts, read 645,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post

The roads and infrastructure is crap here because the city never maintained them properly in the 90s-00s, now they realise "oh crap we really need better roads" so now they're fixing all of them at the same time it seems. It's nice to see them finally getting their s*** together and fixing what needs to be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or