U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleanest city in Canada?
Toronto 0 0%
Montreal 0 0%
Vancouver 3 27.27%
Ottawa 1 9.09%
Calgary 2 18.18%
Edmonton 0 0%
Victoria 2 18.18%
Quebec City 0 0%
Halifax 3 27.27%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:44 PM

873 posts, read 814,358 times

Advertisements

The "Grittiest City in Canada" thread inspired me to make a poll on what the cleanest cities in Canada are. What do you think is the cleanest city in Canada overall based on quality/cleanliness of infrastructure, quality of water, air pollution, and general cleanliness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 05:01 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,046,217 times
I voted for Calgary, but I've never been to a couple of these cities... Victoria looks impressive in photos. Edmonton, I have no idea.

You'd think Ottawa would be an easy winner, but it's not. In our favour, we have so many national institutions and government buildings with groomed lawns, plus it's a largely middle class city full of bureaucrats who aren't known for a decadent, gritty lifestyle. Ottawa has quite a bit of litter, though, beside busy roadways. There are a couple of central neighbourhoods that are pretty scuzzy. And sewage overflowing into a riverway east of the city is a recurring problem.

Quite a few downtown streets in Toronto are actually dirtier than I'd have expected before seeing Toronto myself. I was surprised at the littering. People just chucking garbage wherever. So it makes sense why raccoons are all over the freaking place. The trash bandits have it good there.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:05 PM

8,585 posts, read 11,070,781 times
I'm saying Calgary too. Really anti-graffiti, and there isn't another major Canadian city that you can hop in your car, and in an hour and a half be at the glacier that is the source of your drinking water. That and the constant wind...oh the wind...keeps the air pollution moving towards Saskatchewan.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,178,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm saying Calgary too. Really anti-graffiti, and there isn't another major Canadian city that you can hop in your car, and in an hour and a half be at the glacier that is the source of your drinking water. That and the constant wind...oh the wind...keeps the air pollution moving towards Saskatchewan.
So anti graffiti = clean? I find that urban graffiti often give a city a certain level of character and grit, and often times those graffitis can be incredibly beautiful composed by many local artists.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
So anti graffiti = clean? I find that urban graffiti often give a city a certain level of character and grit, and often times those graffitis can be incredibly beautiful composed by many local artists.
Substitute tagging for graffiti. I agree with the comment about artistry and skill. Tagging are just assclowns causing damage.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 AM

12,685 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Vancouver's sources are much closer.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:07 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,747,108 times
I've been to all of the cities listed except Halifax, and only to the airport in Ottawa.

My impressions that in a lot of ways the cleanliness of those cities are pretty close. Ottawa, like another poster, I suspect would be spotless. Most capitals are. Victoria's centre is.

Vancouver and Victoria's air is sea fresh. Vancouver only gets hazy after a long stretch of sun or like last year, forest fires.

The drinking water in Vancouver is stellar as well.

Infrastructure like transit are very clean.

Still it's difficult to choose since every city will have a dirtier part, Vancouver included. Little graffiti ( tagging ). Just walk under any of the downtown bridges and you will see none. If some pops up, the city quickly removes it.

Tough call, but I'll say Vancouver since it seem to have an overall fresher feel.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:10 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
"clean" sometimes risk being sterile. I generally don't like overly clean cities because it often comes at the expenses of urban vibrancy. I will take a vibrant city with big crowds on the streets each day plus some graffiti and garbage over a spotless yet lifeless one. If few people go, of course the place is cleaner.

Victoria and Calgary for example, are too sleepy. Downtown Calgary is more like an industry park than an urban core.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:28 PM

873 posts, read 814,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
"clean" sometimes risk being sterile. I generally don't like overly clean cities because it often comes at the expenses of urban vibrancy. I will take a vibrant city with big crowds on the streets each day plus some graffiti and garbage over a spotless yet lifeless one. If few people go, of course the place is cleaner.

Victoria and Calgary for example, are too sleepy. Downtown Calgary is more like an industry park than an urban core.
I agree. I do like a little grit in cities as well.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Vancouver's sources are much closer.
Well technically Calgary's "source" runs right through the middle of the city. My comment was more in that you can go to the source of the entire river and watch the snow and ice physically turn into your drinking water. Plus Calgary is only downstream of Banff/Canmore. Not as much poo to drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada