U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:52 PM

12,673 posts, read 8,740,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I thought it was Americans calling you so polite because you have basic manners in public which they don't. (saying sorry)
Americans in general are polite. I've never had any issues, but you have to understand the slight cultural differences in language.

If you don't understand that when someone says " uh huh " instead of " you're welcome " they aren't being rude of dismissive, then you could misinterpret that as being rude.

This of course is a generalization, and changes depending on region and age of the person.

In Canada I'm finding younger people responding no with " you're welcome " as much as " no worries ".

Not my favourite response but things change.

So in the context of how we use language in Canada, and being less direct usually than Americans, we come across to some as being very polite.

Example:

American " got the time ? "

Canadian " Excuse me, sorry to bother you, but do you have the time ? "

Again...these are generalizations as there are rude people and polite people everywhere.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:38 AM

449 posts, read 279,054 times
I feel like this is more of a North vs South thing than Canadian vs American. I've volunteered in both Pennsylvania and Florida. In Florida, I found that the volunteers and patrons were louder, more outgoing, and more brash, but equally nice and caring. As a Pennsylvanian, I felt much more out of place in Florida than I ever have when visiting Canada.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I feel like this is more of a North vs South thing than Canadian vs American. I've volunteered in both Pennsylvania and Florida. In Florida, I found that the volunteers and patrons were louder, more outgoing, and more brash, but equally nice and caring. As a Pennsylvanian, I felt much more out of place in Florida than I ever have when visiting Canada.
Have you done your trip to Vancouver yet?

Old 08-07-2016, 11:36 AM

449 posts, read 279,054 times
Not yet. Would you say that people are less reserved in Western Canada than in Eastern Canada?

Old 08-07-2016, 12:18 PM

3,898 posts, read 2,724,456 times
Quote:
Not yet. Would you say that people are less reserved in Western Canada than in Eastern Canada?
I think as a general rule of thumb anywhere that people in more crowded areas such as very large cities are probably more reserved than people in less crowded areas such as small towns or cities. It's probably for the same reason why people will subconsciously tense up in a crowded elevator.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I think you mean Central Canada?

Eastern Canada, is Newfoundland/Labrador and The Maritime provinces.

Central Canada is Ontario and Quebec

Western Canada is Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.

The North is The Yukon, NWT and Inuvut.

That's doesn't mean people in Vancouver don't say " back east " when referring to Toronto.

Now that we've cleared that up it depends on what you mean by reserved. Do you mean outgoing personalities or people with liberal views?

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-07-2016 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 04:29 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
Quote:
I think that's generally true. There is even a difference between Manitoba and Alberta, I find. I'm not sure what it means. My farrier comes from Alberta and when I mention to him how friendly every day people seem in Alberta, he says that that is true but he sees it as a superficial friendliness, and says that people don't help each other out whereas in Manitoba where he is now living, people still do (help each other out.) However, I can see that a societal change would happen (less willing to help each other out) in a province that has attracted many outsiders for jobs, and before the oil prices crashed, people who previously perhaps didn't have much money, suddenly having a lot of money. Money changes things, imo.

I notice a difference in Manitobans who moved to Alberta when the province was booming when they come back home, either to stay or to visit and I've never found the change to be for the better to be honest and I've wondered whether it is something in the water in that province or whether it is somethng in the people themselves who have moved there and who have had a strange reaction to new circumstances in a way that I personally find odd.

I like the west, including Alberta.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think as a general rule of thumb anywhere that people in more crowded areas such as very large cities are probably more reserved than people in less crowded areas such as small towns or cities. It's probably for the same reason why people will subconsciously tense up in a crowded elevator.
I agree with this. I've lived in cities, towns, small country towns, villages and spread out rural communities. I've found that the smaller the community the less reserved and more involved the residents are with each other. I think it's because when you live in more spacious communities with smaller populations everyone knows everybody else and their kids and their dogs and their business.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:18 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Ontario and Quebec are central Canada? I always considered them Eastern Canada. Parts of Quebec are practically in the Maritimes, I would never consider Quebec Central. Only northern Ontario, where barely anyone lives, could be considered central Canada.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Ontario and Quebec are central Canada? I always considered them Eastern Canada. Parts of Quebec are practically in the Maritimes, I would never consider Quebec Central. Only northern Ontario, where barely anyone lives, could be considered central Canada.
Live and learn

Discover Canada

Atlantic Canada is used when you want to include Newfoundland/Labrador, since they are not part of The
Maritimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or