U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 PM

3,901 posts, read 2,727,133 times

Advertisements

Here's another fellow who has people worried:

Man making fellow Muslims nervous - Winnipeg Free Press

(I don't know if the article can be read without a subscription.)

Unfortunately, nothing can be done because the guy hasn't committed a crime... yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 07:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,270,826 times
Actually that isn't true. He can be put under a peace bond, as Wayne Driver was, which allows CSIS and RCMP to monitor his electronics and phone use. Knowing that you are being actively watched has a certain amount of harm reduction value, I think.

Jim B.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:54 PM

18,273 posts, read 10,371,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Actually that isn't true. He can be put under a peace bond, as Wayne Driver was, which allows CSIS and RCMP to monitor his electronics and phone use. Knowing that you are being actively watched has a certain amount of harm reduction value, I think.

Jim B.
Providing of course that someone IS actually watching you. As it turns out no one was actively monitoring Driver 24/7 which makes the peace bond nothing more than a gentleman's agreement to behave.

Peace bonds can have various conditions such as prohibition of internet access or cel-phone ownership and if those are not imposed this guy could easily have made his little movie; recorded it on a thumb drive then uploaded it from the nearest public library without anyone from the RCMP or CSIS being any the wiser.

Too many holes in the system for nuts like driver to crawl through. Civil liberties are sacrosanct as they should be so until these characters actually act out there's very little by way of legal means to inhibit them completely.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Jim B.
Terrorism suspect Aaron Driver was subject of peace bond; aroused suspicions - Winnipeg Free Press

I don't know if this article is viewable without a subscription so I'll provide an extract:

Quote:
Driver's lawyer, Leonard Tailleur, argued in a November 2015 court appearance that his client was not a threat and was only voicing his political opinions.

He said the peace bond conditions being sought by the government were too extreme and unconstitutional, and were impacting Driver's ability to get a job.

Driver was also banned from going on the Internet or having any communication with ISIL, including having any object on his person that bore an ISIL logo.

Later, the Crown announced some of his strict bail conditions had been lifted and he would not be going to trial.

Under the peace bond agreed to by both sides, there was an acknowledgment there were grounds to fear that Driver might help a terrorist group.

However, he was allowed to remove his monitoring bracelet and no longer was required to undergo religious counselling. He continued to be prohibited from using a computer or cellphone — rules that were to be in place until the end of August.
The part bolded happened in February. Obviously Driver broke the conditions of the peace bond with respect to use of a computer.

~~~~~~~

Bill C-51 is interesting. I don't know the current status: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti...rism_Act,_2015

~~~~

I also found this comment, also in today's paper, interesting:

Quote:
Resorting to a peace bond is akin to staging a "somewhat blunt" intervention, says Lorne Dawson, a University of Waterloo sociology professor. "It's very hard to determine whether the intervention will produce a positive or a negative result."

Dawson, co-director of the Canadian Network for Research on Terrorism, Security and Society, would welcome empowering judges to order a suspect into rehabilitation, backed by national programming and resources.

His organization is helping Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale set up a national office of counter-radicalization that will help fund and co-ordinate such efforts.

Dawson points to countries including Britain and Denmark that are already well along the prevention path. "We are many years behind in doing that."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...389820481.html

Old 08-13-2016, 08:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,270,826 times
It is a fine balancing act...........Protect Canadians from whackadoodles like Driver, but also maintain our right to dissent, peacefully .

So far, we seem to have been more or less successful in that ideal, with the exception of the deaths of the two CF soldiers in the recent past. Those that make stupid allegations that we are not capable in terms of preventing terrorist acts, need to look at the actual past record . It has been very good, and effective, compared to other countries in Europe, for example.

I think that preventative detention in some cases would be warranted. But is has to be fully presented in a court of Justice, first. No secret trials as in the USA. Bill C51 has that as a measure in it. It also would remove the citizenship of Canadians who leave this country to actively support ISIS by fighting on their side. That to me is a no brainer.

Jim B.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:45 AM

Civil liberties advocates and defence critics at odds over Aaron Driver case - Manitoba - CBC News

Quote:
Bezan said he's calling on the federal Liberal government to maintain the Anti-Terrorism Act, which was brought in last year to give Canadian intelligence authorities greater powers to intervene with terror threats or perceived threats.

In March, the head of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) told a Senate committee that the agency has used its extraordinary powers to disrupt extremist plots close to two dozen times since the fall of 2015.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
In a statement issued after last week's takedown, the mosque said it had taken notice of Driver and his views more than a year ago and had tried to steer him away from extremism.

"We engaged him with the hope of changing his views on Islam and to show him the true, peaceful nature of our religion," the statement read. "We constantly monitored his activities within the mosque and did our best to keep the authorities engaged with our activities.
Mosques distance themselves from Driver's funeral | St. Catharines Standard

Old 08-17-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Trudeau referred to the Liberals' plan to create an all-party committee of parliamentarians to oversee national security agencies.

He said the committee will ensure the agencies "don't go too far and violate our fundamental rights and freedoms when they work hard to keep us safe."

"But at the same time, oversight will ensure that our intelligence and security agencies do everything necessary to keep Canadians safe," said Trudeau.

"This situation of last week and situations like it will be exactly the kind of thing I expect this committee of parliamentarians to weigh in on and advise how we can do an even better job of keeping Canadians safe, like we were able to do last week."
Trudeau says rights must be balanced with security in battling terrorism - Politics - CBC News

Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,780,600 times
Default ...

I think their decision says a lot and I am personally very happy with it. Good call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or