U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:45 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,776,432 times

Advertisements

I am not sure how many people were aware of a situation that recently took place in Ontario this week.
Aaron Driver an ISIS sympathizer was killed by police, which likely could have prevented an attack on residents somewhere in Ontario.

I am personally really glad his father shared his story. It paints of picture of a person who just kept on falling further and further down the wrong path. Someone looking for a way to express his sadness and rage against the world... but happen to end up using religion and a fringe cult within Islam as an outlet.

'I wanted to die myself,' says father of Aaron Driver

This guy like any other people out there was angery and lost and probably needed more aggressive interventions to help keep him on track ... but we as a society failed him. He likely had unaddressed mental health issues that were never really addressed and as a result fell threw the cracks.

This could be anyone's kid, brother, cousin, neighbour. I think if anything his dad sharing his story may help turn the average person's attention towards the need to look for signs and reach out to kids and teens that are conveying signs of mental health issues such as depression and social anxiety. If you are seeing signs of withdrawal, depression or social anxiety in children or young teens ... don't wait to get them help or brush things under the rug your window of opportunity to get them help is very short. Also important to note as a parent you need to be aggressively trying to get them help. The mental health support system in Canada right now even in major cities is pretty pathetic and can be very difficult to access. They don't have enough resources and enough doctors and health care professionals trained in this area.

If anything when looking at the profile of people that tend to do these things I am seeing trends.... misguided lost people that need help... but clearly are not getting any help in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 12:27 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Certain groups like ISIS have become very adept at taking advantage of these lost souls.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:57 PM

298 posts, read 195,914 times
They are spreading like cancer throughout the world, but don't expect them to do anything.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:25 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Certain groups like ISIS have become very adept at taking advantage of these lost souls.
All similar to the lunatic fringe groups. Find the disenfranchised, and generally impressionable. Helps if they're not overly bright or questioning. Bring them in under one premise and gradually twist them to whatever you want. ISIS, KKK, Scientology, Trump, they're all very similar.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:28 PM

3,898 posts, read 2,724,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And they are doing it solely online and obviously appealing to some disaffected youth with Christian backgrounds. This does not surprise me. I hope all parents take note.

When I first read about Driver last February I kind of suspected I would hear about him again.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
Is there a link to what actually happened and not just the father's interview? I checked a few more links and they mostly just allude to the fact that he had some sort of police confrontation. The majority of the articles just focus on his past.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:53 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Is there a link to what actually happened and not just the father's interview? I checked a few more links and they mostly just allude to the fact that he had some sort of police confrontation. The majority of the articles just focus on his past.
Here is the taxi bit.

Taxi driver dove from cab moments before Aaron Driver detonated bomb - Canada - CBC News

Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 PM

5,878 posts, read 2,379,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I found these~

Terror suspect killed in standoff in Strathroy, Ont.

snip~
Quote:
Driver, who once published instructions for Muslims trying to reach Syria, was released on a terrorism-related peace bond in June 2015, days after police raided his suburban Winnipeg residence, the Star reported last year.

Because the investigation was ongoing late Wednesday night, the RCMP refused further comment.

Around 4 p.m., RCMP officers, SWAT teams, a bomb squad and military special forces swarmed into Driver’s Strathroy neighbourhood, according to CTV and community residents.

Maria Pereira, 59, lives on Westgate Ave., directly across the street from the property.

“I heard a big noise. I don’t know if it was shots. I opened the front door and I saw police all over,” Pereira, 59, told the Star shortly before 10 p.m.
StrathroyToday.ca
Quote:
Town Hall to host a press conference today at 4:00pm. Speakers at press conference will include RCMP Representative, Strathroy-Caradoc Police Chief, Laurie Hayman and Mayor, Joanne Vanderheyden.

You can follow the conference on Twitter @news1057 on Facebook and we will have key details on our website at StrathroyToday.ca.
https://youtu.be/0WHOf692rTg

Old 08-12-2016, 02:03 PM

5,878 posts, read 2,379,078 times
More video's~~
https://youtu.be/IR1YpXF208M

https://youtu.be/te_C9EwEqYc

https://youtu.be/7Qu8bw4lVb4

https://youtu.be/y9YQkeheiLM

Old 08-12-2016, 02:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,268,413 times
He was under electronic surveillance , and on the RCMP watch list. He was put on a peace bond in 2015, which is a way to legally monitor him, and put controls on his actions and movements.

A coupe of days ago, a video that he had made was seen on the internet. It was a "martyr recording " that set out the basic plan to attack a place( unnamed but in Ontario ) using bombs that he had made himself. it is a common thing with these types of lunatics to show they are "willing do die " He got his wish, but quite as he had hoped, I think.

The video was noticed by the FBI who called the RCMP unit that watches the lunatics, who quickly made the connection to Wayne Driver, living in Strathroy, west of London Ontario.

The RCMP and OPP sent a number of armed tactical teams to that town, and as they were setting up on his street, he came out and got into a taxi. When he saw the Police he detonated a bomb in the back seat of the taxi, which pretty well shredded the interior of the car, wounding the driver slightly. It is still not clear if the explosion killed Wayne Driver, or is he was shot by Police after the device was triggered . One early report said that he had at least one more explosive device with him.

In any event he was killed at that scene. His plan may have been to take the taxi 20 miles to London, where there are a number of shopping malls and a train and a bus station. A typical attack hits a soft target, with lots of people around.

This is another case where the RCMP and US law enforcement were able to shut down a terrorist , before he could do much harm. I count about 8 or 10 similar cases in the past 10 years, starting with the "Toronto 18 group " . In that case the RCMP had a man on the inside, and the explosives the group bought were replaced by the RCMP with harmless powder. They were all convicted in court.

The same for the VIA rail plot. Unfortunately, the shooting at the National War Memorial, of Corporal Nathan Cirillo was successful, but the lunatic that did it was quickly shot in the hall of the Centre Block of Parliament by the Sgt at arms of the House of Commons. Score one for the good guys.....

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or