U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 01:40 PM

47 posts, read 57,913 times

Advertisements

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be very thankful...
My wife and I have been reading the pages on the government website about sponsoring a spouse but it doesn't seem like the different options apply to us. Here are the essential details:
- I'm a Canadian citizen, we got married in NY, she's American
- We are currently living in Paris, France
- We were here on a three year visa, its renewal was rejected and we have 30 (now 27) days to leave the country. Needless to say, things for the move are already underway.
- I have as of right now no job lined up when I get back to Canada nor enough money personally to provide for my wife at this moment. We live on shared finances.

So, if you read through all the info it asks you to decide if your spouse is outside the country or inside. But "outside" implies, by the questions it asks, that the spouse is outside and you're not. And inside implies that you're both inside which isn't the case here either. I wrote to the Paris visa office and they sent basically the info about how to proceed but it doesn't clear up this question about the two of us being outside together, I'm guessing the person didn't fully read or get the details of my request.

I've replied to them again for clarification but does anyone happen to know what our proper path would be here?
Our main concerns are:
1. we don't want to not do something now that we'll be told we should've done later that could have expedited things
2. we've heard it's faster to do this from outside rather than in. But with both of us outside, how does that work? Because they say, paraphrasing, "show proof you've been corresponding and keeping in touch" ...well, we haven't been apart!
3. the person that replied from the visa office said you don't need to show a minimum amount of money or proof of income or job to support your wife. But then the forms suggest you do. I don't understand.

If anyone could help us get our head around this while we pack up our lives and get out of here in an unreasonable 30 days, we'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 05:01 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,077,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be very thankful...
My wife and I have been reading the pages on the government website about sponsoring a spouse but it doesn't seem like the different options apply to us. Here are the essential details:
- I'm a Canadian citizen, we got married in NY, she's American
- We are currently living in Paris, France
- We were here on a three year visa, its renewal was rejected and we have 30 (now 27) days to leave the country. Needless to say, things for the move are already underway.
- I have as of right now no job lined up when I get back to Canada nor enough money personally to provide for my wife at this moment. We live on shared finances.

So, if you read through all the info it asks you to decide if your spouse is outside the country or inside. But "outside" implies, by the questions it asks, that the spouse is outside and you're not. And inside implies that you're both inside which isn't the case here either. I wrote to the Paris visa office and they sent basically the info about how to proceed but it doesn't clear up this question about the two of us being outside together, I'm guessing the person didn't fully read or get the details of my request.

I've replied to them again for clarification but does anyone happen to know what our proper path would be here?
Our main concerns are:
1. we don't want to not do something now that we'll be told we should've done later that could have expedited things
2. we've heard it's faster to do this from outside rather than in. But with both of us outside, how does that work? Because they say, paraphrasing, "show proof you've been corresponding and keeping in touch" ...well, we haven't been apart!
3. the person that replied from the visa office said you don't need to show a minimum amount of money or proof of income or job to support your wife. But then the forms suggest you do. I don't understand.

If anyone could help us get our head around this while we pack up our lives and get out of here in an unreasonable 30 days, we'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

My advice is to contact a good immigration lawyer to deal with your situation.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:31 PM

54 posts, read 44,723 times
From when I navigated the immigration system as a spouse (keep in mind this was about 6 years ago), these were a few things I learned that might be helpful to you:

The Canada Visa immigration forum (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-imm...oard/index.php) is an INCREDIBLE resource. There are so many people on there who have been through the system that I feel they can provide you with great insight and suggestions.

I’m almost sure the whole “inside/outside” situation really only refers to your spouse. Back a few years ago the forms had space to explain things like this. Don’t they have it anymore? Like sections where you can write a paragraph or two expanding on certain sections?

Yes, “outside” is indeed faster because every visa office only processes the applications of the area they’re concentrated in, whereas when you’re in Canada you’re in the same queue with everyone else from everywhere in the world who is already in Canada and sent out an application. The whole issue of showing that you two have been “corresponding and keeping in touch” is just to make your relationship more legit. If a marriage certificate is not enough for them, show documents that demonstrate you guys share a life together. Heck, for my application we even sent in our joint gym memberships (which were brought up during our interview, btw) to demonstrate that we are a legitimate couple that shares their lives together. Now, even though things are faster when you apply at an embassy outside of Canada it will definitely take a lot longer than 30 days. I really don’t recommend applying at the embassy in Paris unless you’re able to travel to Paris every time they need something from you.

DO SHOW MONEY. This is VERY, VERY important. CIC will want to know there’s someone who can be financially responsible for your wife if she becomes a permanent resident (PR) and that the gov’t won’t be on the hook if she starts collecting welfare or something. In my case, because my husband could not show enough money at the time, we signed up his parents as my co-sponsors and that did the trick.

If your situation is “non-standard” (and it seems like yours isn’t) it does pay to get a lawyer/immigration consultant. I consider myself fairly good with paperwork but our lawyer pointed out to a few things here and there that I missed because I’m not an expert. And little things like this can make a huge difference in the bureaucratic world that CIC is.

Dealing with CIC is mostly just being endlessly patient. But the reward is worth it in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada