Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2022, 11:14 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here!

A bit scary but no damage.

The lights didn't even flicker at my house.
Oh, good! Glad you're okay.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:08 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Oh, good! Glad you're okay.
Thanks for your concern.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:32 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times
I didn’t know the situation was so bad last year:
Port of Vancouver ranks among the worst in the world, according to World Bank report

Quote:
The Port of Vancouver — the main gateway for consumer goods entering Canada from the manufacturing powerhouses in Asia — is among the worst performers, ranking 368th out of 370 ports around the world, according to a new report.
Quote:
The report considers numerous variables, from the time a ship spends at various stages, the size of ships that dock at a particular port, and the size of the port itself. The report noted that a number of unseen factors, such as infrastructure quality and expertise of employees, contribute to overall efficiency. In total, the report’s authors examined 164,500 port calls involving 257.4 million container moves at 826 container terminals at 443 ports worldwide.
Quote:
The “ranking {of Port of Vancouver} in this report reflects an analysis of a unique point in time that includes impacts from last summer’s wildfires in B.C. and the severe flooding in November, which cut off the Port of Vancouver from national supply chains fully for eight days and partially for an additional nine days,” the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority said in a statement

Old 05-29-2022, 01:02 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,770,566 times
RIP to the King of Canadian Rock and Roll. An Arkansas boy had to cross the 49th to show ‘em how to do it.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...ns-dies-at-87/

Old 05-29-2022, 05:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
That's another milestone passed. Romp'n Ronnie and Stomp'n Tommy - two greats that were worth the drive into the big smoke to spend time in a smoke filled Horseshoe Tavern beer hall.

I hadn't heard either of them play for decades before either of them passed.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:02 PM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, I tried calling. A few times, actually, but no answer and no voice mail any time.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, in and of itself. As I recall from past calls when we had a matter to discuss, she's never had voice mail on the phone number that I have. For all I know, she's taking a vacation, or is on a business trip for a few days.

I did send an e-mail, expressing concern for her town, which is only fifteen minutes away from the town that was declared a disaster area, as well as asking how her town came through. Of course, I also asked how she and her house came through.

Let's hope I hear from her soon, and that while it was a severe storm, everything in her world is fine.
Update: I heard back from my ex.

She's fine, and it turned out that I was correct: she was out of town for a few days, for a bit of vacation. Her house suffered a bit of damage, but nothing serious that a trip to Home Depot and a few hours of her time can't fix. It doesn't sound like it rises to the level of insurance claims and professional contractors, at any rate. As for the area, I'll quote her: "Lots of random damage (complete destruction, really) to many trees in the area."

The town up the road that suffered the most is continuing to clean up and rebuild, even this long after the event. Based on what I saw on the news, I'm not surprised.

Anyway, she's fine, her house is fine, and I'm relieved. Thought I'd let you folks know.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:17 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,558,939 times
Good to hear. Thanks

Old 06-03-2022, 01:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Update: I heard back from my ex.

She's fine, and it turned out that I was correct: she was out of town for a few days, for a bit of vacation. Her house suffered a bit of damage, but nothing serious that a trip to Home Depot and a few hours of her time can't fix. It doesn't sound like it rises to the level of insurance claims and professional contractors, at any rate. As for the area, I'll quote her: "Lots of random damage (complete destruction, really) to many trees in the area."

The town up the road that suffered the most is continuing to clean up and rebuild, even this long after the event. Based on what I saw on the news, I'm not surprised.

Anyway, she's fine, her house is fine, and I'm relieved. Thought I'd let you folks know.
Thanks for the update and glad to hear she's fine. So, now you can relax a bit with one less worry to concern your day.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:59 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,770,566 times
Incident down at the border.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXhwJNPgyR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7VRaHDdwpE

Old 06-06-2022, 01:54 PM

219 posts, read 160,793 times
Can you give some info on what this border incident is about before I potentially waste my time watching YouTubers? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.