U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 12:49 PM

6,320 posts, read 4,173,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't see it that way. The buck stops at the Governor General who made the appointments, and the Governor General's buck stops at the Queen. The Queen would have had to be informed about and given her approval of Morrison's secret additional appointments during a time of national emergency.

The other ministers were not supplanted. If they'd been supplanted they would have been out of their jobs. They had their jobs and did them with the full authority and power given to them at the time they were first appointed to their positions. Nothing changed. They just didn't know that the Governor General had also later appointed the Prime Minister as the extra go-to and decision maker to stand up as a stop-gap in the event of a great emergency such as the other ministers all getting sick from covid and dropping like flies.

I don't think it should have been kept secret from other ministers, but I don't see that any harm was done at that time of emergency, and the temporary appointment no longer stands.

What I'd be more interested to know is whether or not the Governor General decided, without Morrison's knowledge, to also secretly appoint somebody else as a stand in Prime Minister in the event that Morrison dropped dead alongside his other ministers.
Something did change on at least one occasion:
Quote:
Morrison used his additional powers on at least one occasion, to overturn a decision by former minister Keith Pitt to approve a contentious gas project off the New South Wales coast.
https://www.npr.org/2022/08/16/11176...aking-extra-po
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 02:48 PM

22,775 posts, read 13,862,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
That’s the weird thing, the Australian Ministers were NOT given their marching orders. Some weren’t aware they had been supplanted as it was done secretly:

In other words, these supplanted ministers continued their roles, unaware they no longer had the power assigned to those roles.
Boy; I guess an informed public is the only insurance we've ultimately got against someone using authority not designated by their elected office and that requires an effective, non prejudicial, 5th estate.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:49 PM

13,215 posts, read 11,728,364 times
Quote:
Something did change on at least one occasion:
Quote:
Morrison used his additional powers on at least one occasion, to overturn a decision by former minister Keith Pitt to approve a contentious gas project off the New South Wales coast.
https://www.npr.org/2022/08/16/11176...aking-extra-po
I suspect as Prime Minister alone it would have been one of his responsibilities to veto a decision he disapproved of anyway, whether or not he had additional powers. I'm not defending the appointments or his use of additional powers in the above case, but I'm not against it either. I think it was a foresightful idea but I also think the other ministers should have been informed at the time of his appointments.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:53 AM

3,186 posts, read 2,602,413 times
Quote:
Strange story out of Australia:

Outrage as Australians discover former prime minister secretly gave himself five additional ministries

<snip>

I couldn’t help wondering if such a situation could happen here in Canada.
Strange story indeed. I cannot imagine how it could happen here in Canada; at least not without the PM announcing it somehow.

Hell, I'm no expert on the Australian constitution (though I have read it), and from what I remember of my reading, the powers of the PM do not extend to replacing, say, the Minister of Finance; at least not without announcing it publicly. Our Canadian PM would just shuffle the cabinet, so Joe Bloggs, the former minister of Whatever, has been replaced by Sue Jones, the new minister of Whatever. But all very public; no such appointments would happen sub rosa in our system.

I could be wrong, however; it has been some years since I last read the Australian constitution. Nonetheless, I recall it as very similar to our own Canadian constitution--a few differences, but nothing significant. Still, "I'm now in charge of Finance. Don't tell anybody, okay?"--if that's the true story, then there's something wrong there.

Perhaps some of our Australian friends could weigh in on this, and clear up our confusion?

Old 08-17-2022, 07:42 AM

13,347 posts, read 13,585,948 times
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/one-...port-1.6028724

Quote:
One-quarter of front line employees surveyed at Canada's border agency said they had directly witnessed a colleague discriminate against a traveller in the previous two years.
Of these respondents, 71 per cent suggested the discrimination was based, in full or in part, on the travellers' race, and just over three-quarters cited their national or ethnic origin.

The figures are drawn from a survey conducted as part of an internal Canada Border Services Agency evaluation that looked at how the agency processed travellers, using a lens of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, and mental or physical disability, and the interaction between these factors.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:38 AM

The high percentage by Canadian Conservatives really surprised me:
Quote:
According to polling done by Angus Reid back in late 2020, 41% of Conservative voters believed the American election was unfair and the results should be contested. That’s a sharp contrast to the 95% of Liberal voters and 92% of NDP voters who said the election was fair.

And while it is jarring to think many Conservative voters buy into disinformation used to justify an armed insurrection, it shouldn’t be particularly surprising once one factors in where conservatives on both sides of the border get their information.
Trumpism 2.0 and what it means for Canada

Old 08-17-2022, 10:35 AM

6,735 posts, read 8,076,066 times
Quote:
The high percentage by Canadian Conservatives really surprised me:

Trumpism 2.0 and what it means for Canada
Welcome to my world.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:24 PM

22,775 posts, read 13,862,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Welcome to my world.
Now becoming "OUR" world.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:43 PM

A couple of interesting charts:

Canadian Newspaper Federal Election Endorsements

Canadian Newspaper Federal Election Endorsements With Ownership

Old 08-29-2022, 03:11 PM

183 posts, read 49,468 times
Quote:
Would be still more interesting with readership demographics. I wonder how they've changed over the decades. And how that might matter, if it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada