U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 02:38 PM

6,754 posts, read 8,263,913 times

Advertisements

Norway House/Niagara Falls, what's the diff https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...tage-1.6657129
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 02:30 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,392,758 times
This made me smile:
Quote:
I’ve been spending a lot of time with a friend who just arrived this week from Ukraine, and her first shock is she doesn’t think Canadians dress properly for the weather. “Melissa, today I do not wear hat, like Canadian woman” was day two. “Melissa, see that man, no coat!” Today it was +3 and she audibly gasped when she saw a toddler in a stroller in ski pants and a couple layers of thermals with a coat off, I had to reassure her the parents didn’t need to be charged
https://mstdn.social/@Doubleemmartin...11872854369096

Old 11-27-2022, 10:29 PM

2,891 posts, read 1,381,279 times
On Nov 25 at the POEC (Public Order Emergency Commission)
Justin Trudeau stated (referring to the truckers protests I believe)

“We knew exactly what they were asking for.. They were expressing their disagreement with public policy.. They wanted us to change public health policy.. Using protests to demand changes in public policy is something that I think is worrisome.”

Isn't the point of protests to change public policy?
Why would that be worrisome?
Or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance. Reporting on our northern neighbor is not very thorough, I'm afraid.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:49 AM

13,505 posts, read 12,280,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post

Isn't the point of protests to change public policy?
Why would that be worrisome?
Or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance. Reporting on our northern neighbor is not very thorough, I'm afraid.
Yeah, I think you were missing a few things.

There's nothing wrong with protests to bring concerns to the attention of the general public and government so that policies can be amended.

It was the manner in which they expressed their protests that was worrisome because they were behaving as terrorists while they were demanding to be obeyed and kow-towed to while they were attempting to overthrow government.

They were cowards. The thing that was most worrisome to me and the most criminal and cowardly thing of all (I thought) was that they brought their little children with them and used their own children in various way as human shields for their own protection while they were terrorizing the residents of Ottawa and blockading border crossings to prevent trade goods from crossing the border going both ways.

PamelaIamela, what do you think of people who use their own little children as human shields for their own protection?

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-28-2022 at 03:16 AM..

Old 11-28-2022, 02:57 AM

200 posts, read 116,295 times
I tried finding a transcript of Trudeau’s 5+ hours of testimony but I wasn’t able to and this comment wasn’t in the clips I was able to find. It may be that more of his response would answer your question.

I don’t remember there ever being as aggressive a response to a public health decision (provincial or federal) in my lifetime and I have at almost 10 years on him. Maybe that was it.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It was the manner in which they expressed their protests that was worrisome
To add to that point, big trucks don’t have more rights than human beings have. Even the American trucker convoy to Washington understood that. Their trucks circled around Washington a few times. They never even attempted to enter downtown Washington, let alone set up residence on the streets there for weeks, blocking traffic, forcing local businesses to close and preventing residents from being able to sleep at night because of blaring horns.

The weekend after the big trucks were cleared from Ottawa streets, protesters returned to the downtown, this time without the big trucks. No one seemed to have had a problem with that.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:34 PM

2,891 posts, read 1,381,279 times
Thanks everyone.
I figured it might have been a misquote because simply saying that "Using protests to demand changes in public policy is something that I think is worrisome.” is not the same thing as "using illegal protests that endanger citizens to demand.."
So he must have surely used a qualifier.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:50 AM

Latest Angus Reid poll results of Premiers’ performance, along with analysis:

https://angusreid.org/premiers-performance-dec-2022/

I’m surprised Danielle Smith’s rating is 42%. I would have thought it would have been lower.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:24 PM

17,495 posts, read 13,238,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Latest Angus Reid poll results of Premiers’ performance, along with analysis:

https://angusreid.org/premiers-performance-dec-2022/

I’m surprised Danielle Smith’s rating is 42%. I would have thought it would have been lower.
BC's Premier has just been Premier for slightly over 2 weeks. Not enough time to really judge performance.

Horgan was at 51 percent when he left office.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:43 PM

Thinking about taking your computer to the repair shop? Be very afraid
Quote:
Researchers at University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada, recovered logs from laptops after receiving overnight repairs from 12 commercial shops. The logs showed that technicians from six of the locations had accessed personal data and that two of those shops also copied data onto a personal device. Devices belonging to females were more likely to be snooped on, and that snooping tended to seek more sensitive data, including both sexually revealing and non-sexual pictures, documents, and financial information.
Quote:
Besides finding widespread snooping, the study uncovered other problems. Among them: The vast majority of repair shops provide no privacy policy and those that do have no means of enforcing them. Even worse, repair technicians required a customer to surrender their login password even when it wasn’t necessary for the repair needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada