U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Well if they are CAD citizens how are you going to deport them anymore you could a 8th generation French or Anglo Canadian
That is why I said "if possible". Please don't make this into something it is not.

Imagine if some one would have taken retaliation for this and hurt some one. That is probably what these people wanted.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-16-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 AM

18,301 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thinking about this a bit more, I actually have a huge problem with the way the authorities handled this.

I mean, I don't know who made the decision (police? school board?) but since when do we reveal the name and and face in public of young children who are assumed to be victims of violent crime? No one had been arrested when that near-hysterical news conference took place in what looks like the kids' school and so in theory a dangerous suspect who had targeted these kids was still at large.

And now that it turns out to be a hoax, thanks to this you now have the real name and image of an 11-year-old child appearing in ugly and hateful social media posts and memes.

Way to go people!

If I were a cynic (which I might be), I'd say that everyone was just a bit too eager to cloak themselves in the image of super-heroic islamophobia fighters... Sign of the times I guess.
We might not march in lock-step often but on this, I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 AM

21,954 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We might not march in lock-step often but on this, I couldn't agree more.
More often than you think! Especially lately!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 AM

3,916 posts, read 2,733,356 times
When I first read the headlines of this story, what popped into my mind was a somewhat similar story I vaguely remembered reading last year that occurred in the the U.S. involving an older female. It also turned out to be a hoax. Just that memory was enough for me to casually wonder in passing if this could be a hoax too. So, I withheld judgment.

My point is that perhaps memories of what happened in this case may cause fewer people to rush to judgment in future until police have finished their investigation.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OTOH certain members of certain groups bring problems onto themselves and that unfortunately and unfairly taints the image of the entire community. Personally I call 'em as I see 'em. I have very good personal relationships with quite a number of Muslim people, but I also recognize that like any other "community" they also have some problem elements that can often create issues that are fairly unique to them.

While any right-minded person will recognize that hate crimes are a scourge on society and much be countered, there seems to be a lot of energy that goes into trying to convince us that islamophobia is by far the most prevalent and problematic form of hate crime.

I know we are just days away from the anniversary of the horrific Quebec City shootings and we all agree that we never want something like that to happen again.

On the other hand it may very well be a one-off by a deranged individual, no matter what some people say about an alleged escalation of islamophobia that supposedly triggered it.

But we've seen other cases like the shooting at the Pauline Marois rally a few years ago that was basically an act of political terrorism by Richard Bain that could easily have been far more deadly had he not bungled his explosives and been more armed and a better shot. And yet the broader issue that could have been seen behind that faded very quickly from the public mind.

Also, Muslims are occasionally (real) victims of hate crimes in Canada, but so are lots of other people.

For example, last year an aboriginal woman in Thunder Bay got a trailer hitch thrown at her from a moving car, and she later died of her injuries. It had all the elements of a hate crime and a tragically fatal one at that. I may be wrong but I don't think Kathleen Wynne or Justin Trudeau tweeted about that, did they?
We actually don't disagree. I actually thought your observations were bang on. I was just trying to get to perhaps a more root cause for why this particular group may be used for political points. That being that there is a perception that they are unfairly generalized in western societies ie terrorists, extremists etc. No doubt there are other groups who are the victims of hate crimes. In this particular case, these people brought this ALL upon themselves and as such they deserve punishment and yes, we should hold Politicians and Institutions accountable for reacting too quickly, before the facts are known.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

That is why I said "if possible". Please don't make this into something it is not.

Imagine if some one would have taken retaliation for this and hurt some one. That is probably what these people wanted.
I'm not UL but let's face it - certain groups do fall victim to quick judgments. If a white kid was attacked and then it would be determined it was a hoax - I don't think anyone would really say deport them 'if possible. Probably the assumption would be they are Cad citizens. Bottom line is, I do think certain groups are quickly judged and not given the benefit of the doubt and we should all be mindful of that. That is it really.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:32 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not UL but let's face it - certain groups do fall victim to quick judgments. If a white kid was attacked and then it would be determined it was a hoax - I don't think anyone would really say deport them 'if possible. Probably the assumption would be they are Cad citizens. Bottom line is, I do think certain groups are quickly judged and not given the benefit of the doubt and we should all be mindful of that. That is it really.

Well considering the vast majority of people in this country are white and have been for a while, I don't think one would be wrong to assume that.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well considering the vast majority of people in this country are white and have been for a while, I don't think one would be wrong to assume that.
Empathy UL - Emptathy lol..

Old 01-16-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
We actually don't disagree. I actually thought your observations were bang on. I was just trying to get to perhaps a more root cause for why this particular group may be used for political points. That being that there is a perception that they are unfairly generalized in western societies ie terrorists, extremists etc. No doubt there are other groups who are the victims of hate crimes. In this particular case, these people brought this ALL upon themselves and as such they deserve punishment and yes, we should hold Politicians and Institutions accountable for reacting too quickly, before the facts are known.

I agree.

Btw I have been on this planet for four and a half decades and for a good three of them Muslims were just another group like Buddhists Sikhs Armenians Shintoists Taoists Doukhobors whatever...

Just thinking back when I was in university around 1990 and saying that you were concerned about Muslims then was about the same as saying it about Hutterites or Yazidis. Most people would have said uhhhhhhhh.

So at some point things really changed. We non-Muslims may have changed but Muslims themselves changed too.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 PM

And it is not as if they were not around back then. They definitely were even if less numerous and less visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or