U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 AM

21,968 posts, read 27,436,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
To your other point about Muslims not being shrinking violets - i'm totally aware of that. I do think however that any group that has had the negative press about them are going to 'feel' an impact. Some of the most horrific images of this century that the western world has witnessed has been at the hands of groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS. These things have lasting impact on the psyche both on Westerners and of course on Muslims even the more liberal and moderate one's.

Most of the people I know who express high levels of anxiety about this are Christians from the Middle East. I think their fear is that anyone who looks Middle Eastern will get tarred with the same brush. Which is a legitimate fear because it happens all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,176,078 times
Toronto only Canadian city to make shortlist for Amazon’s new headquarters HQ2 | Financial Post

Quote:
Toronto is the only Canadian city on Amazon Inc.’s short list of 20 candidates for a second North American headquarters.
The e-commerce giant received 238 applications for the opportunity and says narrowing it down to 20 was very tough.
The other Canadian communities that applied but didn’t make the short list include Hamilton, Ottawa-Gatineau, Sault Ste. Marie, Simcoe County, Halifax, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Windsor.
Amazon says it plans to choose the location later this year after diving deeper into the proposals from its top cities.
Still prolly won't get it but still hope I guess.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
As for more women walking around with face veils and hijabs. While that may be the case, on its own I don't think that is much of an issue if it is linked to their religion and they are operating within the laws of the land. It could also be that there are simply way more muslims around cities like Toronto and Montreal now than in the 70's and 80's. That said, there certainly has been a shift to more conservative ways in the Muslim world at large. The extremism that we have seen over the last few decades is a symptom of that for sure. I think this actually is negatively impacting the muslim world and hampering their ability to progress socially.
The Muslims I am friends with are all painfully aware of this. I can only help that they will win out in the end.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM

4,826 posts, read 4,462,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most of the people I know who express high levels of anxiety about this are Christians from the Middle East. I think their fear is that anyone who looks Middle Eastern will get tarred with the same brush. Which is a legitimate fear because it happens all the time.
Yeah even Latinos are getting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hO6fPMAZRA

Old 01-18-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

What is there to say, other than .

Old 01-18-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Muslims I am friends with are all painfully aware of this. I can only help that they will win out in the end.
There are a lot of positive aspects to many muslim communities around the world - sense of family/community and good grassroots support for one another. On the other hand there is still a socially regressive aspect that is holding them back. Only time will tell if and how much that will change.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

What an IDIOT.... They should lock this guy up and throw away the key.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of positive aspects to many muslim communities around the world - sense of family/community and good grassroots support for one another. On the other hand there is still a socially regressive aspect that is holding them back. Only time will tell if and how much that will change.
Yup. My kids have had a few Muslim friends in their entourage for some years now. Those kids are raised with excellent values in terms of hard work, seriousness about school, respect, politeness, etc. No issues at all with them hanging out with my kids.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 6,555,383 times
Quote:
Since this story prompted a lot of posts, I think an update is in order for anyone reading the thread: the girl's parents don't seem to have anything to do with it as a CBC story says no charges will be laid. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ing-story.html

Old 01-20-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Since this story prompted a lot of posts, I think an update is in order for anyone reading the thread: the girl's parents don't seem to have anything to do with it as a CBC story says no charges will be laid. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ing-story.html
I still can't believe an 11 year old girl would make this up. The parents are very sorry because they knew they could get in a lot of hot water with this. Anyway, I don't accept the 'sincere' apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or