U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 07:06 AM

18,315 posts, read 10,393,778 times

Advertisements

I understand your reluctance fusion.

I have the same concern involving these religious based issues. There are far more influences brought to bear on the young members of religious based families. Getting to the bottom of what might have caused this young girl to falsify this event would involve talking to any number of additional people all given license to influence her through her being a member of this or any other extreme religion.

Her Mosque would of it's nature be full of people desiring to further an agenda over outright truth. Her fellow student members of the same faith might carry the overly rigid teachings of their parents to pass them along to this child. There are far more influence patterns this child has been subject to by the very nature of her rigid religious upbringing.

All of this reinforces my appreciation for having had parents that believed religion had a place and it was upon me and me alone to determine the depth and breadth of that place.

A pity these people do not have the capacity to see the harm placing any religion above the basic tenet to simply treat people with the respect and compassion they themselves would desire to be treated.

I view this child as a "victim".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 07:09 AM

293 posts, read 162,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I still can't believe an 11 year old girl would make this up. The parents are very sorry because they knew they could get in a lot of hot water with this. Anyway, I don't accept the 'sincere' apology.
Laying charges against them would be islamophobic.

Seriously, were you expecting they continue with investigation after all bs the authorities did? Of course not, they want to stop it and the people forget about it till next elections (both provincial and federal).

The girl and her parents did very evil thing - it was 100% a hate crime. However, the authorities made it worse hundred of times more. And the authorities (school, police, politicians of local and federal level) should be held responsible.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:02 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Laying charges against them would be islamophobic.

Seriously, were you expecting they continue with investigation after all bs the authorities did? Of course not, they want to stop it and the people forget about it till next elections (both provincial and federal).

The girl and her parents did very evil thing - it was 100% a hate crime. However, the authorities made it worse hundred of times more. And the authorities (school, police, politicians of local and federal level) should be held responsible.
First to Brusan - I agree with your last post 100! On another note a reminder to me that the concept of separation between church and state is as prescient as ever...

The wanderer.. Laying charges would be Islamaphobic UMM no but I hope you are being sarcastic I don't know! I'm gay and if I reported a gay hate crime against me but it was actually a lie I would most certainly feel that charges would be warranted against me as per - Mischief as AJ put it and those charges certainly wouldn't be Homophobic they would be warranted because I committed the crime of falsely reporting a crime.

Now sure, in this case it would be harder because it is an 11 year old girl and it is probably hard to prove her family/friends set her up to do this but just dismissing any criminality in this and stating that any response to that criminality is Islamaphobic is completely bogus!

I do agree as most fellow posters in here have stated, the authorities and politicians jumped the gun with this response. Not only that but showcasing an 11 year old girl in the media like that was completely irresponsible.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:28 PM

18,315 posts, read 10,393,778 times
https://www.provincialadvocate.on.ca/main/en/rights/

If this office were living up to it's mandate; they should be leading the charge to spank someone's bottom in the Premiere's office, the Toronto District School Board and perhaps the Toronto Police services.

Determining guilt or responsibility should not have involved the putting on display of this child or his parents for public consumption. Too much has been made of this being a special case due to the religion involved. Were it a Jewish or Catholic child their identity would have been protected at all costs with no public apology.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,544,693 times
One article said it was the school that called the news conference.

I don't know if I necessarily blame the school or anyone else for jumping the gun before the investigation was over given the rise in anti-Muslim hate crimes.

I also am a little amazed that posters here are completely disbelieving that an 11 year old could make up such a story. I'm not saying that she did or didn't 100% made it up on her own but unless she is completely isolated, she would have heard people talking about the rise in Islamophobia and I can totally see how a little girl, wanting to drum up excitement among her group of friends would get carried away with her own story and made something up to be important in that moment.

I can remember in grade school, in grade ONE, being coached on how to lie one of your own hairs across your palm if the teacher wanted to whack you with a ruler under the theory that the hair would tear into your skin and with a visible wound you could complain about the teacher to your parents. (The whacking-with-a-ruler part and the spankings that were given in front of the whole class being a separate part of the story)

I can also recall being somewhere in the tween or early teens and girls at school 'joked' about the way to get a male teacher into trouble would be, if alone in the room with him for some reason, to rip your own blouse and run screaming out of the room. The issue of women having actual rights had popped up and even children had caught a word here or there and suddenly there was an awareness of having a 'power' that kids in that day and age, didn't usually feel they had.

And in the following link, an article makes mention of a similar aged girl claiming some hoax. It's not common but I can certainly see how it could happen.

Chris Selley: Hijab hoax episode far bigger than it should have been | National Post

Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 PM

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...berattack.html

Quote:
Metrolinx says it was the target of a cyberattack originating from the reclusive dictatorship of North Korea.
The provincially-owned transit agency that operates GO Transit and the Presto fare card system confirmed the attack Tuesday, after it was first reported by CTV News.
The agency detected the threat roughly a week ago, and believes that although the attack did breach a firewall, it infected a system that was not related to employee or customer data.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:30 PM

Canada reaches deal on revised Trans-Pacific Partnership - Politics - CBC News

Quote:
Canada has agreed*to a resurrected version of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and will sign on to the deal.
The deal,*renamed the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership,*comes after talks in Japan this week with the 11 countries still committed to the deal.
"We are happy to confirm the achievement of a significant outcome on culture as well as an improved arrangement on autos with Japan, along with the suspension of many intellectual property provisions of concern to Canadian stakeholders," said*International Trade Minister*Francois-Philippe*Champagne in a statement.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:41 PM

Ontario News but this is pretty big.. Oddly enough, a few weeks ago I read an article where a Liberal insider said that the Ontario election this year is Patrick Brown and the PC's election to lose...... and they will...

Well - Now this

Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown denies sexual misconduct allegations - Toronto - CBC News

Quote:
Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown denied allegations of sexual misconduct at an unexpected news conference at the provincial legislature on Wednesday night.
The allegations are being reported by CTV. CBC News has not independently confirmed the allegations.
In an appearance only about a minute long, Brown said he'd learned about the allegations a couple of hours earlier, calling them "categorically untrue."
"I want to say: These allegations are false. Every one of them," he said. "I will defend myself as hard as I can, with all the means at my disposal."*
"I know that the court of public opinion moves fast. I have instructed my attorneys to ensure that these allegations are addressed where they should be: in a court of law."
Reporters followed Brown as he hurried outside, asking him for further comment.
"I will be at work tomorrow," he responded.
Senior staff quit
Moments after the news conference, several of Brown's staffers including his campaign manager, chief of staff and deputy manager* announced their resignations.
"Earlier today, all three of us became aware of allegations about Patrick Brown. After speaking with him, our advice was that he should resign as PC Party leader. He did not accept that advice," Andrew Boddington, Alykhan Velshi and Dan Robertson said in a joint statement.*
"We have therefore resigned our positions."
Brown's press secretary also announced his resignation, and called for him to step down "immediately

Old 01-27-2018, 02:49 PM

Not only did Boeing fail to push through Punitive tariffs against the C Series, but they also lost out on a Huge Super Hornet contract as well with the Canadian gvt and potentially lost contracts with the government of the UK. Not to mention the ire of Delta airlines (worlds largest airline) who has pretty much blacklisted Boeing because of this issue. Delta is not only the biggest customer of the C Series, but also just recently placed orders to replace their entire narrow body fleet with Airbus plus the C Series. What a spectacular backfire for Boeing...

Bombardier wins bid to overturn 292% tariffs at U.S. trade body - Business - CBC News

Old 01-28-2018, 09:15 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,734,227 times
A small Cape Breton business in desperate need of year round low-paid workers came up with a unique solution which resulted in 300,000 job applications from around the world:

Quote:
The sisters posted their appeal in August 2016 on the Farmer's Daughter Market's Facebook page.

Their message celebrated what makes life in Cape Breton so special as well as offering to give away parcels of the family land and a job, to anyone willing to move to the community.

"One thing our business does have is lots of land. If you decide this opportunity might fit your dreams and goals for a close to nature and community-focused life, we are willing to offer you two acres of wooded land where you can immediately set up your tiny house or quaint cabin," Heather Coulombe said.

"If you're still working for us in five years, and we still like each other after that time, the land is yours for the cost of migrating it and putting it in your name."
Quote:
The incredible response to their land-for-jobs offer has caught the attention of municipal, provincial and federal levels of government.
300,000 applications as Cape Breton market offers 'land for jobs' - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or