U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 05:48 AM

18,434 posts, read 10,494,088 times

Advertisements

Wonderfully stated Fusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 AM

34,625 posts, read 41,813,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not really Canadian news but one of the great minds of our time has passed

Physicist Stephen Hawking dies aged 76 - BBC News

This man was such an inspiration and a giant.. He recently blew me away with his explanation of what there 'was' before the big bang. Imaginary time - like wow! His human story and determination and strength is equally as inspiring as his mind.

RIP and thanks for challenging the world and advancing your science immeasurably. We are as a species better because of you!

Sad news, he was amazing,and a good example of what can be accomplished despite physical adversity.
surprised i havent heard a thing about his passing on the news which has deteriorated into a trump reality show.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:59 AM

487 posts, read 434,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sad news, he was amazing,and a good example of what can be accomplished despite physical adversity.
surprised i havent heard a thing about his passing on the news which has deteriorated into a trump reality show.
I don't know which sites you get your news from, but I have received multiple news alerts on my phone about his death, from la Presse, le Devoir, le JdM, Radio-Canada Infos, The Toronto Star, CNN, BBC, the Guardian, le Monde, etc.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 AM

22,141 posts, read 27,577,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I don't know which sites you get your news from, but I have received multiple news alerts on my phone about his death, from la Presse, le Devoir, le JdM, Radio-Canada Infos, The Toronto Star, CNN, BBC, the Guardian, le Monde, etc.
It was about the third item on the 7 am national news on Radio-Canada this morning while I was shaving!

And when I was brushing my teeth 15-20 minutes later they had a longer interview with this professor from the Mont-Mégantic observatory discussing his legacy.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:15 PM

12,687 posts, read 11,243,584 times
I'm glad people were touched by his human story and contributions to science. His death touched me and a lot of my family, friends coworkers. I bet you the number of views of The theory of everything will go through the roof and sales of his books fly off the shelves. This weekend - i'm going to pick up a copy of a Hawking book I haven't read.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:01 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,762,246 times
Quote:
The same Russian online troll farm that meddled in the American presidential election has also taken swipes at Canadian targets, including oil infrastructure and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Quote:
But things like Canadian oil are a natural target, said one analyst on Russian information campaigns. “You will find the Russians getting into all kinds of issues, deliberately stirring up debate, and trying to spin it in a malicious fashion…
https://globalnews.ca/news/4090153/r...ustin-trudeau/

Old 03-19-2018, 02:01 PM

12,798 posts, read 8,872,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I have noticed on news sites, like the CBC, that some of the comments are really nasty. They never used to be. People for the most part didn't try and slay a person with a different view.

I enjoy reading comments, and really try and keep in mind now, if it's just someone trying to stir up trouble.

Unfortunately, if you repeat a lie or an slightly false statement over and over, some really start to believe it.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Status: "J'aime les gens bons et les jambons" (set 25 days ago)

1,835 posts, read 936,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
If it's not Russia Today, it's fakenews in France. Don't use fakenews. Don't use anything french actually. Only the poubelle

Old 03-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 9 days ago)

4,929 posts, read 4,503,650 times
Federal Green Party Leader Elizabeth May arrested at anti-pipeline protest - British Columbia - CBC News

Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,706,054 times

Kudos to Elizabeth May and MP Ken Stewart.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or