U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 02:02 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,338,144 times

Advertisements

People living in Manitoba worried about Mexicans? That's probably worth at least a bit of a laugh!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 02:33 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,135,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The mess won't be lapping at your shores, is what I mean.

I doubt people in Ontario's cottage country will be bemoaning the fact that their shoreline is not swimmable because of the bitumen on Salt Spring Island.

Nor will people be standing in Hyde Park looking down on what was once a nice beach, like we will with Stanley Park.

I understand fully how the economic effects will reverberate across Canada. I just don't believe that risking our West Coast is worth it.

You do have a lot of what if's. That alone makes me see that you have more in common with the thoughts of us BC'er's. We have them too.

Personally I don't believe this issue is enough to destroy Canada.
Hey I do have what if's for sure. I mean what really sucks about this it brings it close to like the 3rd largest city in Canada and what -the most important port. That said, it looks like Dilbit is already making its way to Burnaby terminals as we speak. I guess the question is - how much more risk will this entail and what measures are being taken to address them. I know it is easier for me to say than you guys but if this was happening in Toronto i'd be taking the same approach to this.

No the issue isn't enough to destroy Canada but i'm afraid how nasty it'll potentially get. I honestly haven't seen things this heated between two Provinces in like maybe ever. The Quebec Sovereignty thing in the mid 90's was completely different and in retrospect - I actually support that the referendum occurred.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-26-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Max is the proof.

Crickets because there is no reasoning with his point of view. I have tried that before. So it seemed better to let his posts stand as the proof than be dragged into an argument that had no hope of a common understanding. It's called not throwing pearls before swine.

It's very seldom that racists or bigots will see their racism or bigotry.
Fair point. They are the minority but they are certainly there for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

The ecstasy of seeing Trump caught - yet again - for being "the bad guy" is not dissimilar to seeing the bad guys all get killed at the end of a Marvel superhero movie. And the level of analysis is usually about the same.
Believe it or not - I don't have a Twitter account and I've practically given up on FB because it gets on my nerves how out of control people get with it.. I'm eating Chicken for dinner tonight - look how I cooked it type of thing. I got sick of the constant pic updates/status updates about total minutia that I couldn't take it anymore. Trump and Trump complainers would have sent me over the edge or off my rocker.

Anyway- I've had my share of Trump sucks tirades but of course they were justified

Quote:
People living in Manitoba worried about Mexicans? That's probably worth at least a bit of a laugh!
Not Mexicans but Somali's yes through Emerson.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-26-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 02:54 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sometimes I creep (I believe that's the word according to my nieces) on Facebook and saw posts by people in this area who were pro Trump (apparently because they were against abortion) but didn't know that Canada has no abortion laws and that the Conservatives weren't touching that subject. They were the same people who posted weird speculations about Obama being the anti-Christ. There is a strange group of people attending a particular American style church who don't know what country they are in. They are also anti immigration and worried about Mexicans.

Do I laugh or do I cry?
Oh my.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hey I do have what if's for sure. I mean what really sucks about this it brings it close to like the 3rd largest city in Canada and what -the most important port. That said, it looks like Dilbit is already making its way to Burnaby terminals as we speak. I guess the question is - how much more risk will this entail and what measures are being taken to address them. I know it is easier for me to say than you guys but if this was happening in Toronto i'd be taking the same approach to this.

No the issue isn't enough to destroy Canada but i'm afraid how nasty it'll potentially get. I honestly haven't seen things this heated between two Provinces in like maybe ever. The Quebec Sovereignty thing in the mid 90's was completely different and in retrospect - I actually support that the referendum occurred.
I think it's heated for a variety of reasons. The subject touches on environmental issues, provincial rights, First Nations rights, and fossil fuels.

Alberta has all their economic fish in one oily basket. They seem desperate because they are.

Notley has one more year before an election. It's going to be interesting.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:10 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think it's heated for a variety of reasons. The subject touches on environmental issues, provincial rights, First Nations rights, and fossil fuels.

Alberta has all their economic fish in one oily basket. They seem desperate because they are.
Nat; that's an "us agin them" sounding response and we're all living in the same country. If that attitude becomes entrenched imagine the damage done. I'm still smarting from Locheeds' "let the eastern bastids freeze in the dark" exclaimation.

Alberta is populated by Canadians of all stripe, just as B.C. is.

B.C. has got to get it's message out in a more informative method than simply yakking it up in legislature. You've got to appeal to the people of all the provinces.

In isolation this issue just becomes another reason for the ROC to be pizzed at one province over perceived entrenched greenies and nimbies preventing economic gain for all. You know it's bigger, and now some of us on here know it's bigger, but Canadians are a typically western North American society enthralled with the latest stuff the internet presents us. I think you know what that "stuff" usually defaults to.

Last edited by BruSan; 03-26-2018 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Nat; that's an "us agin them" sounding response and we're all living in the same country. If that attitude becomes entrenched imagine the damage done. I'm still smarting from Locheeds' "let the eastern bastids freeze in the dark" exclaimation.

Alberta is popualted by Canadians of all stripe just as B.C. is.

B.C. has got to get it's message out in a more informative method than simply yakking it up in legislature. You've got to appeal to the people of all the provinces.

In isolation this issue just becomes another reason for the ROC to be pizzed at one province over perceived entrenched greenies and nimbies preventing economic gain for all. You know it's bigger and now some of us on here know it's bigger but Canadians are a typically western North American society enthralled with the latest stuff the internet presents us. I think you know what that stuff usually defaults to.

I can see why you would think that, but it's not us against them. I'm trying to protect the West Coast of CANADA, for all Canadians.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Alberta is popualted by Canadians of all stripe just as B.C. is.

In isolation this issue just becomes another reason for the ROC to be pizzed at one province over perceived entrenched greenies and nimbies preventing economic gain for all. You know it's bigger and now some of us on here know it's bigger but Canadians are a typically western North American society enthralled with the latest stuff the internet presents us. I think you know what that stuff usually defaults to.
Getting the message out is great, not sure how, since i really don't think the majority of Canadians care about this.

There have been articles, some posted here, even from the Globe and Mail. Environmental groups, First Nations etc have been talking about this for a while. It's a tough one.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:46 PM

Shizer! This one is a real pickle.. I need some boneshaker's....

Old 03-26-2018, 03:55 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,750,830 times
Quote:
Also, if you know lawyers they will tell you from time to time people in Canadian courts will talk of "pleading the 5th" - which of course refers to the 5th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America and has no legal bearing in Canada.
I will typically inform my clients ahead of time that they do have the right to remain silent in criminal court, but I will usually add that they cannot "plead the Fifth." It would be embarrassing if they did; it would look like I had not adequately prepared my client.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or