Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,324,871 times

Advertisements

I read another article that says Tech workers are leaving the Silicon Valley to return to China.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,324,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'd like to query as to why ithas to be piped in it's bitumen state. If this product is ultimately refined elsewhere to create other products, why is it not refined where it's mined and then piped to ports of shipping?

If bitumen being piped carries exponentially greater risk why not refine it then pipe it?

Why hasn't the focus been on to refining it at source so it can be sold for higher value to recover refining costs.

Why hasn't Alberta built refineries to extract as much value out of this stuff as can be had?
Incorporating all of the most recent advances in pollution controls/mitigation to a stationary refinery would seem a better approach to dealing with the risks associated with bitumen.

Last question; why hasn't Trudeau suggested renaming this stuff "bitupersons"?
Where to look up the answers? No one seems to be interested in them.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:34 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I read another article that says Tech workers are leaving the Silicon Valley to return to China.
I've heard that story as well. India is developing it's own "Silicon Valley" and China is progressing at a rapid pace, so the need to look for opportunities abroad is diminishing among those in the tech sector, even if skilled migration remains considerable.

Immigration has been a blessing to all the "New World" countries over the years, though it may end up being a curse if individuals from developing countries stop coming, which may happen when their home countries achieve developed status. We've already seen that happen with Western European immigration.

We are all likely going to face labor shortages at that point, unless there is a domestic push to enhance education in the sciences. Anyone who has studied engineering will be able to tell you that most students in those fields come from a select few nations.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:25 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Where to look up the answers? No one seems to be interested in them.
As mentioned. If you think building a pipeline is difficult, try building a refinery, and then a pipeline to get the finished goods to market...

Old 05-11-2018, 05:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Navdeep Bains was asked by TSA to remove his turban. U.S. officials express ‘regret’ | National Post

Quote:
About a year ago, while at an airport in Detroit, Canadian Cabinet minister Navdeep Bains found himself in a situation he had never experienced before.
The Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development said in a televised interview Thursday that he was repeatedly asked by airport security agents to remove his turban – even after he had passed through security and was at his departure gate. Bains, a devout Sikh, said he was only allowed to fly after he showed the agents his diplomatic passport.
“I felt very awkward,” he said. “It’s not something that I expected. I’ve travelled to the U.S. on many occasions.”

Old 05-12-2018, 05:29 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
As mentioned. If you think building a pipeline is difficult, try building a refinery, and then a pipeline to get the finished goods to market...
Too bad, Canada actually used to have more refineries,
dismantling them over the last 20 years or so, now we’re at the mercy of USA
and their refineries, near me, the Oakville oil refinery shutdown about 15 years ago,
used to see it driving along the QEW.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
and their refineries, near me, the Oakville oil refinery shutdown about 15 years ago,
Wow I had no clue we even had a refinery in the GTA. I agree though, we shouldn't have dismantled them. It isn't as if we didn't know at the time I imagine that we had lots of oil in this country. This is why as a country we need to be looking not just 5-10 years into the future but well beyond. We also need to account for scenarios and plan b's and c's in case the established order changes.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Ohhhh!! What a memory you reminded me of I use to live on Bronte Road, facing west.. and that refinery was a daily view out of my front window. I always prayed for winds to blow in a westerly direction .. as those smoke stacks spewed so much into the air and wafted into our air space!! Yuk!

Old 05-13-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I always prayed for winds to blow in a westerly direction .. as those smoke stacks spewed so much into the air and wafted into our air space!! Yuk!
Oh screw that - just build em in Vancouver

Old 05-13-2018, 03:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Yep, that refinery was close to Clarkson where Sports Cars Unlimited used to be. Bill Brack's Jaguar, Lotus, MG, and Austin Mini dealership was where I bought my first new car.....a 67 MGB with all the options of Borg Warner overdrive, wire wheels with splined knock-off hubs, walnut steering wheel and shift knob, trunk lid luggage rack and badge bar on the front bumper. I lived for a time in the Newport Arms Hotel at the extreme foot of Highway 10 right across from the CSL Terminal and about 200 yards from the Port Credit Yacht Club.

Dating nurses from Peel Regional Hospital was my usual hunting ground. The Penny Farthing Club in Yorkville, after a drive there in the MG with the top down, would oft-times result in a very fruitful night .

Halcyon days of the mid sixties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada