U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:23 PM

3,900 posts, read 2,725,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What's going on with the trade deal isn't really about Canada and its relations with or image in Europe.

It's about stuff that is going on in Europe and Belgium. CETA is just a lightning rod that some malcontents have latched onto.
There are a number of reasons, including this one: http://www.city-data.com/forum/45836473-post30.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~

All the years spent negotiating CETA may not be lost:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/45905834-post341.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,943,398 times
Europeans don't want poor quality or dangerous American products like gene modified food in our markets and the interference of corporate America in our countries. The treaty with Canada seems to have gotten caught up in this, perhaps because there is too much American influence in Canada. I don't think anybody has anything against Canada itself, people generally think very positive of Canada here.

The EU is the worlds largest economy, no offence but I don't think we take the interests of relatively small economies like Canada into account.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The EU is the worlds largest economy, no offence but I don't think we take the interests of relatively small economies like Canada into account.
Probably not. However, I think what happened with Canada will cause the larger economies in the world to hesitate entering any sort of trade negotiations with EU. Why would they waste years of their time? That's what makes the failure of CETA important.

BTW, the world's largest economy is the U.S.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:20 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
I think this is a likely outcome. This and Brexit send a message to the world that the EU cannot keep it together.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:39 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think this is a likely outcome. This and Brexit send a message to the world that the EU cannot keep it together.
Especially after Brexit; Germany, France and Italy are now left to carry the lions share of the risk. The Netherlands and Scandies are exactly those described by drro as the insignificant economies the heavy lifters will eventually tell to shut their pie holes when it comes to making the deals as was done earlier to Greece.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:45 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,943,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Especially after Brexit; Germany, France and Italy are now left to carry the lions share of the risk. The Netherlands and Scandies are exactly those described by drro as the insignificant economies the heavy lifters will eventually tell to shut their pie holes when it comes to making the deals as was done earlier to Greece.
I didn't call Canada an insignificant economy you know . What kind of place would the world be without your fine maple syrup? It's just relatively small compared to the whole GDP of the EU which may put you in a relatively weak position.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:08 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
Quote:
Europeans don't want poor quality or dangerous American products like gene modified food in our markets and the interference of corporate America in our countries. The treaty with Canada seems to have gotten caught up in this, perhaps because there is too much American influence in Canada. I don't think anybody has anything against Canada itself, people generally think very positive of Canada here.

BTW Canada doesn't allow all that gmo food like USA....same with milk,
Canada doesn't allow the bad stuff that's in US milk/dairy.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:16 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Quote:
I didn't call Canada an insignificant economy you know . What kind of place would the world be without your fine maple syrup? It's just relatively small compared to the whole GDP of the EU which may put you in a relatively weak position.
I know you didn't. I called those smaller economies of the EU affiliation "insignificant" for a reason.

There will come a time when what is to be gained by the larger economies in the EU (the ones contributing the most) versus what could be lost by giving the "lesser" ones veto power will either cause them to re-consider the benefits of the EU as a concept or to exert a stifle on the smaller parties with much less to lose.

Eg: My business partner has only a 15% share invested but he gets equal rights to decision making and has decided he does not think the contract for 300,000 rifle barrels is ethical so refuses to partake. I either decide to mortgage my farm to buy him out, sell my share to someone who re-writes the covenant deleting his veto rights altogether or tell him to put a wrap on his ethics and stifle his objections until I've recouped my initial outlay. Once I've mitigated my exposure then he can practice his ethical mores to his hearts content.

Wallonia being fearful and stalling a massive agreement that stands to bring business to all parties is akin to an explosive manufacture being prevented from making explosives because one of the workers is allergic to salt-peter. Sooner or later their concern will be considered frivolous in the face of losing millions perhaps billions in business for the other countries.

If it wasn't Canada that brought this issue to the fore it might have been the U.S. or China with considerably more moola being put on the table. Germany, France and Italy would simply not sit idly by and allow the Walloons to play brinksmanship with their chances to score major growth.

As to Canada's weak position; do you suppose after this debacle, that discussions are not happening all over Europe as to how to prevent the "lessers" from dictating terms or even stymying the "greaters"? In a pig's eye. The EU is presently crapping itself trying to correct an image conveyed of the midget in the room telling everyone at the party they've got to sit on the floor.

Were I Wallonia, presently trying desperately to enter the 21st century marketplace http://www.absp.be/wp-content/upload...ation_2013.pdf I'd be very careful about sending the wrong signals to investors and screwing with Belgiums credibility at any future tables.

Economics 101.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:50 PM

This world map shows the trade deals the European Union is currently trying to negotiate: http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/doc...doc_149622.jpg

Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 PM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:

Canada is not the USA. We have our own standards for food safety. For example as someone mentioned, we don't allow BGH ( Bovine Growth Hormone ) in our dairy, like they do in the US. There are many other examples as well.

One area that I agree needs to be addressed is labelling GMO products. The EU though isn't fully GMO free. Spain for example is the largest GMO crop producer in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or