U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yep, that refinery was close to Clarkson where Sports Cars Unlimited used to be. Bill Brack's Jaguar, Lotus, MG, and Austin Mini dealership was where I bought my first new car.....a 67 MGB with all the options of Borg Warner overdrive, wire wheels with splined knock-off hubs, walnut steering wheel and shift knob, trunk lid luggage rack and badge bar on the front bumper. I lived for a time in the Newport Arms Hotel at the extreme foot of Highway 10 right across from the CSL Terminal and about 200 yards from the Port Credit Yacht Club.

Dating nurses from Peel Regional Hospital was my usual hunting ground. The Penny Farthing Club in Yorkville, after a drive there in the MG with the top down, would oft-times result in a very fruitful night .

Halcyon days of the mid sixties.
Reading this just makes me take pause for a moment and reflect on how much changes in this city. How anyone can expect a static identity with it is beyond me

Anyway, sounds like you lived it up buddy! Keep going until the end!! I know I will

Last edited by fusion2; 05-13-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,760,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I lived for a time in the Newport Arms Hotel at the extreme foot of Highway 10 right across from the CSL Terminal and about 200 yards from the Port Credit Yacht Club.
I recall a pub about 100 or 200 yards west of Hurontario (Highway 10), on Lakeshore. Cannot remember the name, but its parking lot backed onto the Port Credit Yacht Club's mooring basin. Does this sound like your Newport Arms?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 PM

18,346 posts, read 10,414,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I recall a pub about 100 or 200 yards west of Hurontario (Highway 10), on Lakeshore. Cannot remember the name, but its parking lot backed onto the Port Credit Yacht Club's mooring basin. Does this sound like your Newport Arms?
Close, but I think you're still on Lakeshore and cannot remember the name of that pub. The Newport Hotel was not on Lakeshore but if you stayed on #10 heading south crossing over Lakeshore you would drive past the old Bee Hive Corn Syrup factory and the road immediately curved around west towards the Yacht Club with the Hotel facing south towards the CSL wharehouse and wharf right across the street with it's parking lot behind it, between it and the backs of the business buildings on Lakeshore. That #10 extension turned north again right at the land end of the long breakwater that went out into the lake at the entrance to the yacht club and the Port Credit river. I recall it was the tallest building in the area for a time, built of yellow bricks and brown painted balcony railings. It had an Elizabeth St address and is still there as a hotel but I cannot remember it's name now.

They called it a Hotel but only the second floor was a hotel with the other, if memory serves, 5 floors being apartments with two penthouse apartments on the roof. I rented a single bedroom unit (502) facing the parking lot overlooking the Lakeshore for about two years while working at Canadian Arsenals in Longbranch and later Douglas Aircraft in Malton. There was no access to the apartment elevator from the hotel and it didn't stop at the second floor. Ground floor had a nautical theme restaurant and adjoining bar with the obligatory fish netting hanging from the walls.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:52 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Any thoughts on this, amigos?

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...iberals-allege

(Runs for cover.)

Old 05-18-2018, 01:30 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,017,628 times
Wanted to share Justin Trudeau's op-ed in the Boston Globe this week.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...06O/story.html

I have been in Boston/Cambridge the past few days attending the Solve conference @ MIT where Justin Trudeau was one of the featured speakers. He laid out a pretty clear vision for Canada's role in the innovation economy, specifically when it comes to AI. Will be watching to see if those words turn into a real push when it comes to opening up funding sources that are now not as easily accessible in Canada as they are other countries.

Either way people seemed impressed at the conference overall with his vision.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 PM

293 posts, read 162,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

I have been in Boston/Cambridge the past few days attending the Solve conference @ MIT where Justin Trudeau was one of the featured speakers. He laid out a pretty clear vision for Canada's role in the innovation economy, specifically when it comes to AI. Will be watching to see if those words turn into a real push when it comes to opening up funding sources that are now not as easily accessible in Canada as they are other countries.

Of course, Justin needs AI, since he has no intelligence of his own.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Good post Ed.. I hope you are exactly right with this. Canadian corporations as a whole are typically more risk averse than their American and other global counterparts. It would be nice to see those deep pocketed Canadian organizations start to invest more funding in the innovation economy. Of course, you get people who will simply dismiss Trudeau as an intellectual light weight but it is good to know that some intelligent people appreciated his vision in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Of course, Justin needs AI, since he has no intelligence of his own.
Such a thought provoking yet witty one liner! Bravo!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-21-2018 at 08:17 PM..

Old 05-22-2018, 07:13 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,017,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Good post Ed.. I hope you are exactly right with this. Canadian corporations as a whole are typically more risk averse than their American and other global counterparts. It would be nice to see those deep pocketed Canadian organizations start to invest more funding in the innovation economy. Of course, you get people who will simply dismiss Trudeau as an intellectual light weight but it is good to know that some intelligent people appreciated his vision in this respect.

Such a thought provoking yet witty one liner! Bravo!
Trudeau simply has to be who he is. He is not the one doing the "innovating" but he can play a role in painting a clear vision and also just allowing the industry to flourish, without over regulation from the government.

The conference was filled with extremely impressive people who are on the ground doing this work every day and the consensus was that he was well prepared while being open minded during his speaking part, interview and networking sessions. It was a good week for him IMHO.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Trudeau simply has to be who he is. He is not the one doing the "innovating" but he can play a role in painting a clear vision and also just allowing the industry to flourish, without over regulation from the government.

The conference was filled with extremely impressive people who are on the ground doing this work every day and the consensus was that he was well prepared while being open minded during his speaking part, interview and networking sessions. It was a good week for him IMHO.
Coming from you your HO means a lot and well taken!

Old 05-23-2018, 05:25 AM

18,346 posts, read 10,414,903 times
Quote:

My satisfaction with Trudeau will be dependent upon his studying his portfolio prior to pitching Canada to any group.

This fiasco brewing over Kinder Morgan and B.C. that looks for all the world like a test of Canada's binding fabric is something I'm placing right at his door with his lack of authoritativeness n dealing with all parties.

Simply standing and repeating platitudes isn't cutting it. I know it's a very risky rink he's skating on with the current currency any issue involving the environment brings to the table but, fishing or cutting bait time is nigh.

Indemnifying Kinder Morgan from financial loss is not the way I would have chosen to keep them in the game. For Morneau to suggest no taxpayer dollars will be used for that purpose is just plain chicanery. The fed. government has no other source of income they can use that ultimately doesn't come from the public purse that could have been used for something other than to recompense a privately owned corp.

If the fed. gov. has money sitting around that they can put on the table as a surety against losses to Kinder, that money should be spent on increasing healthcare transfer payments or returning veteran pension benefits, or educational incentives or.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or