U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 06:59 PM

3,902 posts, read 2,727,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I can't wait to head to Quebec next week to get away from this insanity for a little.
LOL! I hate to break it to you, but the insanity will follow you to Quebec. The G7 Summit is being held in Quebec next week... It should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:22 AM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
we all just have to grin and bear it until he is finally out of our hair..
That could be sometime and in the meantime trump is creating much havoc to America and by default the rest of the world, Tearing up trade deals and imposing tariffs on imports is not only going to raise the price of everything but also put many out of a job. Americans like to tout their constitution but is there no way to oust a president that has gone mad And if there is why is it not being used? some points to ponder =Evil GOP Bastards

Old 06-01-2018, 02:14 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,752,214 times
Trump is neither a politician nor a diplomat. He's a used car salesman who believes in getting the best deal for himself and his dealership today. He will worry about tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, and a week from today, when they happen, but he's living in the present. "We made a deal today! Hooray!"

A politician and/or a diplomat cannot do that. Politics and diplomacy is a chess game: if we make this move, how will our opponents respond? If we make that move, how will our opponents respond? It is always necessary to look to how our actions will affect our opponents' reactions; not just now, but in the future. Like a chess master, we need to look ten or more moves ahead.

That's how the game of geopolitics is played. Mr. Trump needs to realize that. Today's "used car salesman" tariff solution is not necessarily the best solution for the United States in the long run. Oh, it will play well to his base today. But in the long run, when that base has to pay more for everything, and when the promised jobs don't materialize, how will they feel? Betrayed, I imagine. And I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Trump loses a lot of support as a result.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:03 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That could be sometime and in the meantime trump is creating much havoc to America and by default the rest of the world, Tearing up trade deals and imposing tariffs on imports is not only going to raise the price of everything but also put many out of a job. Americans like to tout their constitution but is there no way to oust a president that has gone mad And if there is why is it not being used? some points to ponder =Evil GOP Bastards
I thought there was a release valve in the 25th amendment that allows the VP and a majority of cabinet to render the President incapable of serving office. Of course there is a whole process after that and then the Congress and Senate gets involved but it is possible. The thing is, you need the VP and majority of cabinet on board and what is that likelihood. A President hasn't been removed from office via the 25th amendment either from what I know.

In any event - I doubt it'll happen before Nov 2020 anyway so yeah stuck with him. I doubt the Mueller probe will do anything to him. I read the link you provided - thanks man, scary stuff!

Last edited by fusion2; 06-01-2018 at 05:34 AM..

Old 06-01-2018, 05:08 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Trump is neither a politician nor a diplomat. He's a used car salesman who believes in getting the best deal for himself and his dealership today. He will worry about tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, and a week from today, when they happen, but he's living in the present. "We made a deal today! Hooray!"

A politician and/or a diplomat cannot do that. Politics and diplomacy is a chess game: if we make this move, how will our opponents respond? If we make that move, how will our opponents respond? It is always necessary to look to how our actions will affect our opponents' reactions; not just now, but in the future. Like a chess master, we need to look ten or more moves ahead.

That's how the game of geopolitics is played. Mr. Trump needs to realize that. Today's "used car salesman" tariff solution is not necessarily the best solution for the United States in the long run. Oh, it will play well to his base today. But in the long run, when that base has to pay more for everything, and when the promised jobs don't materialize, how will they feel? Betrayed, I imagine. And I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Trump loses a lot of support as a result.
I don't think he is going to realize this Chevy.. This is a write off until at least 2020 most likely. In the meantime, after these tariffs (which are at real kick in the gut to both Canada and the US), it is hard to imagine a successful NAFTA agreement. I think the days of any sort of special or integrated economic relationship with the U.S are essential over. By the time someone else comes around Canada will have already been negatively impacted and move on from a post NAFTA world and will have accepted that it is just like any other country in the eyes of the United States.

In some ways this may be a short term pain vs long term gain situation because ultimately, it will increase domestic innovation and creativity. Canada has long been under the wing of the U.S since WWII. We really started to see this in the 60's and into the 70's whereby we were increasingly reliant on that nation and both started to focus on economic integration and continental security. Trump is sticking daggers in that and essentially tearing up the American approach to closer integration with allies over the last 50 years (Europe has eluded to this too). He is the representative of the American people and this is the wish of the American people via the system they have in place. That all said, Someone in Russia must be smiling more and more everyday. What is happening is a geopolitical win for them.. American global influence is waning by the day now.. Part of that influence was being the dominant player in that economic integration.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-01-2018 at 05:40 AM..

Old 06-01-2018, 05:41 PM

5,953 posts, read 7,322,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
LOL! I hate to break it to you, but the insanity will follow you to Quebec. The G7 Summit is being held in Quebec next week... It should be interesting.
LOL of course! Thankfully though, I'll be in Montreal so I'll be some ways away from La Malbaie. In light of what has just happened for no good reason, the tension should be palpable.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:37 AM

3,902 posts, read 2,727,861 times
Another headache:

Italy won't ratify EU free-trade deal with Canada, says new farm minister | CBC News

Quote:
Minister Gian Marco Centinaio said the Italian government would ask the parliament not to ratify the treaty since it does not ensure sufficient protection for the country's speciality foods.

"We will not ratify the free-trade treaty with Canada because it protects only a small part of our PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) and PGI (Protected Geographical Indication) products," Centinaio told the newspaper.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:04 AM

563 posts, read 428,884 times
You guys just legalized marijuana: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

I hear 8-12 weeks to get the market set up.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 AM

4,249 posts, read 8,140,728 times
Quote:
An analysis done by the University of British Columbia showed failure to sign a new NAFTA would cause a 30 to 40 per cent decline in the car industry in Canada — not including any tariffs on top.
How U.S. Tariffs on Cars Could Hit Canadians

Ontario will, pretty soon, become the former Alberta? (in terms of job losses)?

If I were the auto workers, I would right now, ASAP, be retraining, in free time. Moving to IT, programming, web development, all that. It doesn't require BSc, and is not a rocket science. It would, still, take a year or so. Though, there may be federal/provincial retraining programs.

Last edited by nuala; 06-20-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
Quote:
Halifax Mayor Mike Savage says Nova Scotia has to do more to confront systemic racism, calling the toxic work environment at a municipal transit garage detailed by a human rights inquiry "very disappointing."

"We live in a province where there has been systemic racism against African Nova Scotians," Savage said in an interview Thursday. "We have had issues within the city like all organizations and orders of government.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/we-all...otia-1.3955043
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or