U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 09:16 PM

3,913 posts, read 2,731,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
What does this mean for the CPTPP? I heard it was signed but has it been ratified? I haven't found any thing that says it was ratified.
I doubt it affects CPTPP as it was signed by all parties in the spring. As I recall, the CPTPP doesnít go into effect until 6 or 7 of the 11 countries ratify. Then, as the remaining countries ratify, the agreement goes into effect for them as well. I think Canada should have finished the ratification process by the end of this year. The process kicked off in June just before Parliament adjourned.

I know it will be years before we see the impact of CETA. I assume the same holds true for CPTPP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
A clause allowing any member of the North American trio to effectively block each-otherís free-trade deals seems aimed at China and is expected to feature in future US trade agreements
Quote:
The veto clause, presenting a near-insurmountable obstacle to possible free-trade deals between China and major US trading partners, was not a pressing issue only a few months ago when Washington and Seoul were revising their bilateral trade agreement. But the US now appears to see it as a necessary part of any new trade deals
https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-e...o-canada-trade

I wonder if the EU and Japan will agree to this.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM

Trump’s attack on Chrystia Freeland is explained:

https://business.financialpost.com/n...d-of-nafta-era

Quote:
It wasn’t Freeland’s hard-driving negotiating style that was under Trump’s skin. It was her appearance on a panel in Toronto two weeks earlier dubbed “Taking on the Tyrant” that featured a video montage with Trump alongside autocrats like Syria’s Bashar al-Assad and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Apparently the U.S. Trade Representative’s Office was afraid that Trump would meet with Trudeau at the U.N. last week and agree to a deal “prematurely”.

Last Tuesday:

Quote:
A deal seemed imminent, worrying those within the USTR who were convinced they weren’t yet done, said the source. So the nuclear option was deployed: telling the president about Freeland and reminding him about the summer G7 meetings in Quebec, where Trudeau’s closing news conference so agitated Trump that he used his Twitter feed to attack the prime minister from the confines of an airborne Air Force One.

“All of that was done less about blowing up the NAFTA deal, but to stop Trump from making a quick deal.”
I had been wondering why the office of the Prime Minister had contacted Jared Kushner directly last Friday, bypassing Lighthauser. That contact resulted in renewed negotiaions on the weekend and a deal being reached.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:46 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,625,692 times
A man who was captured on camera Sunday violently kicking a female pro-life activist lost his job at a Toronto hair salon amid social media backlash, while the victim says she will pursue charges against him.

Jordan Hunt has been identified as the culprit behind the attack after a video of him spin-kicking the woman went viral. He deleted his social media accounts after the backlash.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/58449194...#sp=show-clips

Old 10-05-2018, 11:47 AM

7,255 posts, read 6,591,773 times
They were both in the wrong and the audio proves it. She was sneaky when she accosted him and he got cocky with her. She was recording in advance so obviously she was anticipating, maybe even hoping for violence in reaction to her confrontations.

It's a good thing there was audio on that clip so the court will be able to hear what actually happened, and hear him saying he meant to kick the cell phone in the woman's hand and didn't actually intend to kick the woman. But even that was definitely a very wrong and immature thing for him to do when he was informed by another bystander that he was being secretly recorded/videoed all along by the woman confronting him. He certainly deserves to have charges pressed against him for his violent kicking behaviour even if the woman who accosted him should not have been recording their interaction without his permission.

I have to admit if some stranger on the street accosted me and was secretly recording and videoing the confrontation without my knowledge and expressed permission I'd be angry too for the violation. I would want to try to snatch the cell phone or camera from their hand and stomp on it and utterly destroy it, but I'd never attempt to kick something out of any person's hand or physically assault with my feet the person accosting me. On second thoughts, maybe I would kick though if I was extremely angry and feeling violated, since I'm so old and arthritic my legs and feet are the only strong parts of my body these days.

I think they'll both get slaps on the wrists for violating each other.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-05-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They were both in the wrong and the audio proves it. She was sneaky when she accosted him and he got cocky with her. She was recording in advance so obviously she was anticipating, maybe even hoping for violence in reaction to her confrontations.

It's a good thing there was audio on that clip so the court will be able to hear what actually happened, and hear him saying he meant to kick the cell phone in the woman's hand and didn't actually intend to kick the woman. But even that was definitely a very wrong and immature thing for him to do when he was informed by another bystander that he was being secretly recorded/videoed all along by the woman confronting him. He certainly deserves to have charges pressed against him for his violent kicking behaviour even if the woman who accosted him should not have been recording their interaction without his permission.

I have to admit if some stranger on the street accosted me and was secretly recording and videoing the confrontation without my knowledge and expressed permission I'd be angry too for the violation. I would want to try to snatch the cell phone or camera from their hand and stomp on it and utterly destroy it, but I'd never attempt to kick something out of any person's hand or physically assault with my feet the person accosting me. On second thoughts, maybe I would kick though if I was extremely angry and feeling violated, since I'm so old and arthritic my legs and feet are the only strong parts of my body these days.

I think they'll both get slaps on the wrists for violating each other.

I'm sorry, but your post is disgraceful and shameful and the thing is, I bet most of the posters in this subforum agree with you. That shows how partisan we've devolved as a society. Humans suck!

Old 10-05-2018, 03:39 PM

8,595 posts, read 11,085,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm sorry, but your post is disgraceful and shameful and the thing is, I bet most of the posters in this subforum agree with you. That shows how partisan we've devolved as a society. Humans suck!
We do. You should go troll elsewhere, where the fishing is better.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
We do. You should go troll elsewhere, where the fishing is better.
Add me to the " agree with Zoiste list "

Old 10-05-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Add me to the " agree with Zoiste list "
I already said you would and its disgraceful. You're literally condoning violence towards someone for having an opinion that differs from your own; it's fascistic.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:02 PM

7,255 posts, read 6,591,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

This is interesting. From USMCA agreement, Article 3.10:

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files...Provisions.pdf

It looks like the U.S. want to stop Canada or Mexico from entering into a free trade agreement with China.

https://theconversation.com/nafta-ha...-canada-104174

China agrees that it's U.S. way of enacting political dominance over Canada and Mexico and trying to prevent their trade with China:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4520879/c...-trade-canada/

Quote:

In a scathing statement, the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa says section 32.10 of the new USMCA amounts to an act of political dominance by the U.S., which it blames for inserting the clause some argue gives the Americans a veto over Canada and Mexico pursuing free trade with China.

The readers' comments at the end of the full article are interesting.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or