U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 08:41 PM

3,900 posts, read 2,725,320 times

Advertisements

Update: I guess Trump is useful for something. Outcome from his dinner with President Xi Jinping this evening:

Quote:
Xi also agreed to designate the drug fentanyl as a controlled substance, the White House said. For more than a year, Trump has raised concerns about the synthetic opioid being sent from China to the United States, which is facing an epidemic of opioid-related deaths.
https://www.news.com.au/world/breaki...0e877ca20e6255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 PM

4,084 posts, read 7,781,562 times
When did Canada become so fawning and obedient to China?

Quote:
It isnít politically feasible for Ottawa to openly criticize Beijing on the opioid crisis
Quote:
Nothing will happen because we have to satisfy what they (the Chinese government) want.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Canadian national among accused in terror attack that killed 21 at Nairobi hotel

https://globalnews.ca/news/4862881/c...terror-attack/

Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
Potential terrorist plot thwarted.

2 arrested in Kingston, Ontario (one is a minor)

Thanks to tip off from the FBI...nice that the US has our back

Old 01-26-2019, 02:45 PM

John McCallum fired as Ambassador to China: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mcc...ador-1.4994492

Quote:
On Tuesday McCallum was quoted telling a gathering of Chinese-language journalists in Toronto that he thought she had a strong case to fight extradition to the U.S. and listed several arguments he thought could help her with her case.
Quote:
Then, just the next day, he reportedly told StarMetro Vancouver it would be "great for Canada" if the United States dropped their extradition request against the Huawei executive.
I’m not surprised. The remarks were highly inappropriate for someone in his position. They did not represent Canada’s position.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:33 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Potential terrorist plot thwarted.

2 arrested in Kingston, Ontario (one is a minor)

Thanks to tip off from the FBI...nice that the US has our back
Not much said about this.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4891602/t...ests-analysis/

Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Here's and update about the Huawei exec:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...7u0?li=AAggNb9

What I don't understand is; if they're only charging her now, what reason did Canada have to detain her two months ago? Did Canada simply arrest her on the basis of the U.S. asking us to? If indeed that's all that was required to get us into this pickle with China, perhaps we should have told the U.S. to go pound sand until they stopped enacting those tariffs on the spurious and laughable basis of Canada being a "security threat".

Trudeau should have told Trump to kizz our azzes without any warrant actually issued and as long as we weren't being treated fairly and being lied about by his royal orangeness.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Here's and update about the Huawei exec:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...7u0?li=AAggNb9

What I don't understand is; if they're only charging her now, what reason did Canada have to detain her two months ago? Did Canada simply arrest her on the basis of the U.S. asking
I read that after the woman was arrested, the U.S. had 30(?) days to formally request extradition. I assume that length of time was set out in the treaty. I also assume the request could be denied under certain circumstances and the U.S. had to ensure to provide certain paperwork to back up their claim that their extradition request was “legitimate” under treaty rules.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I read that after the woman was arrested, the U.S. had 30(?) days to formally request extradition. I assume that length of time was set out in the treaty. I also assume the request could be denied under certain circumstances and the U.S. had to ensure to provide certain paperwork to back up their claim that their extradition request was “legitimate” under treaty rules.
My confusion stems from Canada "arresting" her two months ago when the news today says she's just now being charged with a crime.

Are we now arresting people without them being charged with anything? Are we doing so at the mere behest of a foreign nation stating charges will be forthcoming sometime in the future?

I understand the extradition part and the time line within the treaty , but I had assumed an arrest would only take place if a warrant was already sent by the U.S. and that could only have been acted upon had she been charged already with some extraditable crime.

As I say; I'm confused as it looks like Canada has indeed done what China has accused us of doing......playing "toady" to the U.S. without her having been charged with anything when we detained her.

This is especially galling when one considers we're still under tariffs imposed by that stupid Trump using an inappropriate "security risk" article. Tariffs he indicated would be gone once a new NAFTA was agreed to. Another lie by Trump.

Lying is the new normal for the U.S. in it's characterization of Canada about treating them unfairly in trade to being a security risk.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 PM

I’m not even sure if the new NAFTA will get ratified by Congress. It was supposed to happen by the spring. Trump has too many other distractions right now to pursue it and even if he did, the Democrat-led House might want to continue to flex its muscles.

The EU doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere on the U.S. eliminating steel tariffs either. They had agreed to consider lowering industrial tariffs in exchange but now the U.S. is demanding the EU lower agricultural tariffs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or