U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 07:55 PM

30 posts, read 22,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Here's and update about the Huawei exec:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...7u0?li=AAggNb9

What I don't understand is; if they're only charging her now, what reason did Canada have to detain her two months ago? Did Canada simply arrest her on the basis of the U.S. asking us to? If indeed that's all that was required to get us into this pickle with China, perhaps we should have told the U.S. to go pound sand until they stopped enacting those tariffs on the spurious and laughable basis of Canada being a "security threat".

Trudeau should have told Trump to kizz our azzes without any warrant actually issued and as long as we weren't being treated fairly and being lied about by his royal orangeness.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/tech/...ase/index.html

Article dated December 9, 2018

"A judge in the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York issued a warrant for Meng's arrest on August 22, it was revealed at the hearing Friday. She was arrested on December 1."

I believe additional charges have since been laid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 07:58 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’m not even sure if the new NAFTA will get ratified by Congress. It was supposed to happen by the spring. Trump has too many other distractions right now to pursue it and even if he did, the Democrat-led House might want to continue to flex its muscles.

The EU doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere on the U.S. eliminating steel tariffs either. They had agreed to consider lowering industrial tariffs in exchange but now the U.S. is demanding the EU lower agricultural tariffs as well.
Well Canada got a thank you for it's part in the unfolding Hauwei debacle. If those charges are eventually proven, they're in a heap of hurt world wide. One outcome is likely to be China being seen for the great copier of other countrie's technology. Gonna get messy.

I agree with your analysis of Trump's distractions now keeping him ineffective and behind the curve. Pelosi seems more than capable of keeping him in that state as well.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Canada has recognized Guaido as the legitimate ruler of Venezuela.

Trudeau even called him a dictator.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 AM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/tech/...ase/index.html

Article dated December 9, 2018

"A judge in the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York issued a warrant for Meng's arrest on August 22, it was revealed at the hearing Friday. She was arrested on December 1."

I believe additional charges have since been laid.
Thank you for that info.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:24 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Canada has recognized Guaido as the legitimate ruler of Venezuela.

Trudeau even called him a dictator.
Small correction, I meant to say that Trudeau called Maduro a dictator.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:13 PM

3,897 posts, read 2,724,456 times
Good news if true:

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...in-place-brady

Quote:
Republicans and Democrats alike on Capitol Hill won’t back the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement until President Donald Trump ends America’s punitive restrictions on steel and aluminum imports from Canada and Mexico, says a key congressional player in the unfolding North American trade drama.
That includes removal of any quotas on those imports.

Issues of concern in the agreement:

Quote:
Democrats say it lacks effective enforcement tools for its labour and environmental provisions. Republicans, Brady said, are concerned about the erosion of investor-state safeguards and that the uncertainty posed by a clause that the deal be open to review every six years, a caveat Canada initially opposed.
Now that is interesting!

Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 PM

7,214 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Cool. I hope it is true.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Quote:
Legault’s immigration bill would test newcomers on French, Quebec values

QUEBEC — Premier François Legault said Thursday his government’s new immigration bill, calling for tests on the knowledge of French and Quebec values for newcomers respects his election promise.

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/02/07/lega...quebec-values/

Old 02-19-2019, 06:32 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
This is the saddest thing I have read in a long time. You escape war and bombings in Syria, come to Canada and all your Children die in such a tragedy. I can't even imagine what the family is going through.

Seven children from Syrian refugee family killed in Halifax fire

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...x-fire-285579/

Old 02-20-2019, 12:15 PM

12,672 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
This is the saddest thing I have read in a long time. You escape war and bombings in Syria, come to Canada and all your Children die in such a tragedy. I can't even imagine what the family is going through.

Seven children from Syrian refugee family killed in Halifax fire

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...x-fire-285579/
Yes it's gut wrenching. People here were talking about how sad and horrible to have this happen after coming to Canada. It's almost a feeling of " we failed them ".

Can't imagine either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or