U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 01:29 PM

12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times

Advertisements

Apparently some Americans want to sell Montana to Canada.

Petition to sell Montana to Canada is gaining support!

I noticed how in the conversation, there is no mention of what Canada wants or thinks. Personally I think it's a silly idea, and just so much noise.

What do fellow Canadians think? I KNOW it will never happen. The US just doesn't let states go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 02:27 PM

18,324 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Agree totally with your assessment Nat.

This is yet one more bit of fluffery designed by some stupid American to perform one purpose only and that is to cause a stir in the political establishment of a country already foundering in petty partisan nonsense.

I'm waiting for those traditional responders to show up with their usual disdainful admonishment "Americans hardly think of Canada at all". Would that was the actual case, but alas from Trump's stupidity on down to these fools, it would seem Canada is occupying space "rent free" in many of their tiny wee minds.

Americans will undoubtedly use this silly nonsense generated by their fellow Americans to heap the usual scorn on Canada and Canadians.

While all of this is perfectly predictable in it's stupidity, it nevertheless gets as tiresome as all get out.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:37 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,021,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Petition to sell Montana to Canada is gaining support!

I noticed how in the conversation, there is no mention of what Canada wants or thinks. Personally I think it's a silly idea, and just so much noise.

What do fellow Canadians think? I KNOW it will never happen. The US just doesn't let states go.
I donít think thatís a serious petition. Even if it were, Montana being firmly a red state wouldnít sit too well with many Canadians at this point.

The reverse has also been proposed in the past. Alberta goes to the US.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM

7,279 posts, read 6,604,283 times
Quote:

Yes !! I like Montana.

I guess it probably won't happen either but I'm all for it because of Montana's many, many, many natural resources and wildlife and all the rivers !!!!! that have their headwaters in Montana. Montana has some of the most delicious, purest, cleanest, most crystal clear waters in the world. I'd like to see Wyoming thrown in for good measure (because of Yellowstone - what a bonus that would be!) but I'd settle for Montana alone. It would be great for Canada to be in control of all the water that comes out of Montana. Do you all have any idea how many rivers and how much water is sourced in Montana? The longest river in USA comes from Montana. Water - soon to be the new global currency and life blood of the future. I think Canada would be the best caretakers of Montana's waters in addition to all the water Canada already has.

Problem is it's my understanding Montana also has a lot of disorganized rebel 'man of the land' sovereignists, poachers and SSS gun nuts, rabid beans, bullets and bunkers survivalists, Montana Freemen and right wing political extremists. So those kinds of guys would all need to leave and find another American state to live in because there's no way they'd agree to become Canadian citizens and abide by Canadian politics, laws and values.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 PM

34,434 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:

We'll take Montana but the residents will have to become Canadians by legally immigrating or stay in the USA if they cant pass the immigration process..

Old 02-20-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I donít think thatís a serious petition. Even if it were, Montana being firmly a red state wouldnít sit too well with many Canadians at this point.

The reverse has also been proposed in the past. Alberta goes to the US.
Was there an actually petition though with 10,000 name on it?

I know hypothetically conversations have be had many times, but actual petitions?

Old 02-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes !! I like Montana.

I guess it probably won't happen either but I'm all for it because of Montana's many, many, many natural resources and wildlife and all the rivers !!!!! that have their headwaters in Montana. Montana has some of the most delicious, purest, cleanest, most crystal clear waters in the world. I'd like to see Wyoming thrown in for good measure (because of Yellowstone - what a bonus that would be!) but I'd settle for Montana alone. It would be great for Canada to be in control of all the water that comes out of Montana. Do you all have any idea how many rivers and how much water is sourced in Montana? The longest river in USA comes from Montana. Water - soon to be the new global currency and life blood of the future. I think Canada would be the best caretakers of Montana's waters in addition to all the water Canada already has.

Problem is it's my understanding Montana also has a lot of disorganized rebel 'man of the land' sovereignists, poachers and SSS gun nuts, rabid beans, bullets and bunkers survivalists, Montana Freemen and right wing political extremists. So those kinds of guys would all need to leave and find another American state to live in because there's no way they'd agree to become Canadian citizens and abide by Canadian politics, laws and values.

Might be more trouble than it's worth

Old 02-20-2019, 07:29 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,021,483 times
Quote:
Was there an actually petition though with 10,000 name on it?

I know hypothetically conversations have be had many times, but actual petitions?
Not that I'm aware of. I've just heard it thrown around a couple of times.

Either one would end up breaking the current symmetry we have on maps, so I'm not too keen on the propositions. What we should be looking at is the Northwest Angle.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I've just heard it thrown around a couple of times.

Either one would end up breaking the current symmetry we have on maps, so I'm not too keen on the propositions. What we should be looking at is the Northwest Angle.
Alaska does make more sense, or at least the Alaska panhandle.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 AM

7,279 posts, read 6,604,283 times
Alaska makes more sense too, but it isn't the Northwest Angle.

Should the US hand over Minnesota's Northwest Angle to Canada?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46741175

This is the Northwest Angle, a historic mapping mistake:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or