U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 02:59 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Good!
I must have been half asleep when I posted.. C H I N E S E not chinis and Canadian government, should of been the B.C. provincial governments as well.

This is an interesting take on what could happen to the US because of Trump's anti-Canada trade comments.

"'Minus the U.S.'

"We will start talks on an 11-member TPP, minus the U.S.," said Aso in New York last week.

Japan isn't the only one looking to start a club without inviting the U.S. China is already threatening to fill the role of Pacific trade leader with RCEP, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, a free-trade deal with 16 Asian countries."

and

"America Last'

As Trump talks about "America First," consumers might be increasingly tempted to pursue a strategy of "America Last."

Patricia Cormack, an expert in a subject called consumer nationalism and co-author of the book Desiring Canada, says consumers have enormous power.

"The idea of boycotting Trump precedes these trade discussions at a more personal level, as all of us are consumers," says Cormack. "We don't need California wine. We've got tons of choices."

Of course in a globalized world market, products that seem to be from one country, such as California wine, may have inputs from many other countries, including the country doing such boycotting.

Trump's inflammatory and misinformed comments might be useful in softening up the other side in a real estate deal. But if they inspire old friends to develop plans for retaliation against the United States, they could be setting the stage for a trade war that will benefit no one. "

'America Last': A dangerous reaction to Trump's trade bullying: Don Pittis - Business - CBC News

I know for myself, I have already started. I haven't travelled to or plan to travel to the US this year. I usually do a couple of trips.
When picking a product I try and not choose a US one. This is difficult sometimes, but much easier than some may think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 05:24 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,137,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well Chines government officials were in Ottawa talking trade. Here in BC softwood lumber exports to the US are down to 50 percent down from 82 percent in 2001. Canadian government have seen the writing on the wall and have been quite active " detaching " ourselves from being so reliant on US trade.
I always thought it very natural for the U.S to be our largest trading partner. We border them and they have 9X our population so its just easier and natural. That all said, with all this unpredictability and the arbitrary nature of the Don's outbursts I think its really high time we do more of what is happening in the BC softwood lumber industry. It just seems like with China there is less drama lol. They just pay for the damned lumber and we ship it to them, they don't give a crap about the nonsense the U.S is going on about - for god sake don't feed us this damned guilt trip about taking your damned jobs (your unemployment rate is what 4.8 percent Christ on a bike) Besides, there's more than enough we can point fingers at the U.S about when it comes to things not being a level playing field but nobody is a drama queen more then Trump about how victimized his people are - give me a break zzzzzzzzz. He's like a baby that he doesn't get enough Ice Cream even though he's had 10 gallons of it at a sitting and still wants more. We as Canadians have been far more receptive to their retail being up here than they have been of ours. I'm not saying i'll never shop at Walmart but If Trump doesn't can it pretty soon than I might be part of the make Walmart the next Target movement

Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I always thought it very natural for the U.S to be our largest trading partner. We border them and they have 9X our population so its just easier and natural. That all said, with all this unpredictability and the arbitrary nature of the Don's outbursts I think its really high time we do more of what is happening in the BC softwood lumber industry. It just seems like with China there is less drama lol. They just pay for the damned lumber and we ship it to them, they don't give a crap about the nonsense the U.S is going on about - for god sake don't feed us this damned guilt trip about taking your damned jobs (your unemployment rate is what 4.8 percent Christ on a bike) Besides, there's more than enough we can point fingers at the U.S about when it comes to things not being a level playing field but nobody is a drama queen more then Trump about how victimized his people are - give me a break zzzzzzzzz. He's like a baby that he doesn't get enough Ice Cream even though he's had 10 gallons of it at a sitting and still wants more. We as Canadians have been far more receptive to their retail being up here than they have been of ours. I'm not saying i'll never shop at Walmart but If Trump doesn't can it pretty soon than I might be part of the make Walmart the next Target movement
At least in regards to softwood lumber, it's goes well beyond Trump. That is why the amount is less and less trade with the US since they have been playing games with this issue for 3 decades.

They will always be an important trading partner. I can't see it being otherwise..as you say, it's just a natural fit. That said, go to the other threads in CD regarding this dispute. Some Americans truly don't understand the issue at all.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
At least in regards to softwood lumber, it's goes well beyond Trump. That is why the amount is less and less trade with the US since they have been playing games with this issue for 3 decades.

They will always be an important trading partner. I can't see it being otherwise..as you say, it's just a natural fit. That said, go to the other threads in CD regarding this dispute. Some Americans truly don't understand the issue at all.
Of course by virtue of geography and generally shared values they will always be an important trading partner but the drama as of late Is becoming rather annoying. I mean it is seriously easier dealing with China and Mexico for trade than the U.S. If Trump thinks he is 'rattling' countries prior to negotiating in order to gain a stronger position I think he is sadly mistaken - its more like just annoying the F**k out of people..

Last edited by fusion2; 04-28-2017 at 04:34 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 PM

3,901 posts, read 2,727,133 times
Trade developments: Canada restarts free trade negotiations with South America's Mercosur trading bloc - Politics - CBC News

Also, TPP development:

Quote:
Canada has also emerged as a key player in talks that have emerged after the U.S. pulled out of the 12-country Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement.

That group of now 11 countries, with others possibly to follow, is now called the High-Level Asia Pacific Dialogue.

International Trade Minister François-Philippe Champagne has invited the countries' chief negotiators to meetings in Toronto next Tuesday and Wednesday, as they evaluate what parts of the previous TPP agreement could be transferred or renegotiated between the reconfigured group.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:10 AM

^^
Good stuff!

Old 04-29-2017, 04:22 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Of course by virtue of geography and generally shared values they will always be an important trading partner but the drama as of late Is becoming rather annoying. I mean it is seriously easier dealing with China and Mexico for trade than the U.S. If Trump thinks he is 'rattling' countries prior to negotiating in order to gain a stronger position I think he is sadly mistaken - its more like just annoying the F**k out of people..
Whether it is easier dealing with China pretty much depends on Canada - whether it wants to keep pounding on "human rights" or "democracy". The fact the two countries didn't trade much because Canada chose not too (or maybe it is too noble to deal with a "communist country". China as far as I know just wants to do business and doesn't care about the typical ideological different at all.

As to Mexico, everyone assumes Mexico is a victim of Trump's xenophobia, but do not forget Mexico is just as xenophobia as Trump. Just like Trump threatens to deport Mexicans, Mexico has long been detaining and deporting millions of people from central America for years. in fact, Mexico is in favor of building a wall, only on its southern border. Yet self-righetous liberals often think "oh, the poor Mexicans, why does Trump bully Mexico"?

Old 04-29-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Whether it is easier dealing with China pretty much depends on Canada - whether it wants to keep pounding on "human rights" or "democracy". The fact the two countries didn't trade much because Canada chose not too (or maybe it is too noble to deal with a "communist country". China as far as I know just wants to do business and doesn't care about the typical ideological different at all.

As to Mexico, everyone assumes Mexico is a victim of Trump's xenophobia, but do not forget Mexico is just as xenophobia as Trump. Just like Trump threatens to deport Mexicans, Mexico has long been detaining and deporting millions of people from central America for years. in fact, Mexico is in favor of building a wall, only on its southern border. Yet self-righetous liberals often think "oh, the poor Mexicans, why does Trump bully Mexico"?
I really don't think Canada is going to influence China's record on anything related to Human rights or its political system tbh. The best way to deal with them is simply to engage and travel not to judge. You say that they don't trade much but isn't China Canada's second largest partner - I don't think that is insignificant but what I will say is i'm all for more trade and doing business with China. I've been increasingly dealing with Chinese companies in my workplace and i'm fine with it. I have a meeting with a Chinese company in less than two weeks actually about expansion.

As for Mexico - I think the decision by Trudeau to lift the harsh Visa requirement was a good move. This is another country that I have been dealing with more and more and is expanding in my industry and I welcome it.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 AM

3,901 posts, read 2,727,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Everyone? The comments I've read by Americans are simply skepticism about Trump's claims that he can make Mexico pay for the wall and that the wall would be effective. Does an American have to be a "self-righteous liberal" to object to having to pay for a wall they don't believe will be effective?

As far as Mexico building a wall to keep out Central Americans, as far as I know Mexico is not claiming that they will force Central America to pay for it.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 AM

6,303 posts, read 3,464,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Everyone? The comments I've read by Americans are simply skepticism about Trump's claims that he can make Mexico pay for the wall and that the wall would be effective. Does an American have to be a "self-righteous liberal" to object to having to pay for a wall they don't believe will be effective?

As far as Mexico building a wall to keep out Central Americans, as far as I know Mexico is not claiming that they will force Central America to pay for it.
Actually, the US has been paying for part of it. $86M from the State Department in 2015 for new checkpoints, road blocks, inspection procedures, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or