Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 14,412 times

Advertisements

It's a testament to the great education system in Canada.

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigra...countries.html

Old 02-02-2018, 11:31 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bless-u View Post

Well yes, it is a testament to Canada's education system, it's also a testament to educated Canadians (whether they're new immigrants or not) and testament to Canada's good government.

But even more importantly it's a testament to Canada's immigration system for being so stringent about admitting qualified new immigrants who were already well educated and highly skilled in the countries that they came from. If new immigrants are already well educated when they're admitted into Canada you can pretty much count on it that they'll all insist that their children born in Canada will receive the very best possible education too. Educated people understand the value of higher education.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Well, well, well, here we go Mr. Prime Minister. You're going to have to fish or cut bait on this one.

High time as well, what with all the meaningless nonsense and silly drivel you've been noted for lately.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...TYg?li=AAggNb9

Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
A couple of snippets from today’s Globe and Mail daily email newsletter which highlight my concerns about Chinese investments in Canada.

Quote:
A subsidiary of the Chinese construction giant that is trying to buy one of Canada's biggest firms has been blacklisted in Bangladesh for offering bribes. The Canadian purchase is currently undergoing a major review by the government.
Quote:
Wesley Wark (The Globe and Mail) on Chinese investment in the construction industry: "It is difficult to imagine a bigger negative impact to the security of Canada's critical infrastructure than to have a Chinese state-owned enterprise, close to the Beijing government, deeply embedded in both military and civilian critical infrastructure projects in Canada, including nuclear power."

Old 02-07-2018, 12:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
A couple of snippets from today’s Globe and Mail daily email newsletter which highlight my concerns about Chinese investments in Canada.
Trump's NAFTA threat has awakened us to the need to diversify but holy, moly; rushing headlong into selling ourselves at auction with only the Chinese bidding is not a good thing at all.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, well, well, here we go Mr. Prime Minister. You're going to have to fish or cut bait on this one.

High time as well, what with all the meaningless nonsense and silly drivel you've been noted for lately.

High time...well that will certainly be true for us BC'er's who have vowed to pick up the slack in sales, by buying and therefore drinking more BC wine

Hic

Old 02-07-2018, 05:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:

I think it will only be a matter of time before B.C is going to lose this one. The pipeline has been deemed in the national interest so I don't see what Horgan can do about it. It will be built and Trudeau has already said as much. That said, the wine ban is just silly though Albertans are welcome to wine from the wonderful Niagara region

Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Trump's NAFTA threat has awakened us to the need to diversify but holy, moly; rushing headlong into selling ourselves at auction with only the Chinese bidding is not a good thing at all.
Security would be a big part of any aspect of increasing trade with other countries. That is also the case with the T.P.P and CETA. That said, I do think Canada could have walked away with a trade deal with China if we had of caved into their demands. We didn't and thus no trade deal. Diverse trading partners is good but not at the sacrifice of our security and sovereignty - That includes the U.S btw. I think Trudeau has been managing everything quite well on the whole given the circumstances.

One thing is for sure, even if the U.S turns blue again in 2020 - it'll take a long time for Canada to regain trust due to erratic and inconsistency of FP approach. In the long run, I actually think this will be good for us.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:44 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Talks with the Chinese about a trade deal have quietly continued. I read last week that the Chinese were recently in Ottawa.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Talks with the Chinese about a trade deal have quietly continued. I read last week that the Chinese were recently in Ottawa.
I think ultimately we will have a free trade agreement with China but I don't think we will just roll over to their demands. The fact the talks have dragged out as long as they have leads me to believe this is exactly the reason why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada