U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:33 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
As an American, with no family history of diabetes, I get screened for diabetes at every checkup. I've never heard of a doctor who didn't order that as a routine procedure and there is never push back from the insurance company. It's totally routine, like checking cholesterol and triglycerides annually.
Yep. Being fat is the new smoking. If there's any way to pin a "lifestyle choice" on healthcare to potentially deny benefits, or charge more, they'll find a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM

78,674 posts, read 70,554,766 times
Quote:
As an American, with no family history of diabetes, I get screened for diabetes at every checkup. I've never heard of a doctor who didn't order that as a routine procedure and there is never push back from the insurance company. It's totally routine, like checking cholesterol and triglycerides annually.
What is this screening that takes place at every checkup? I know quite a few people who have gone in to their doc to discuss and get checked for hypoglycemia (considered to be a stage of pre-diabetes), and nothing happens. They get blown off. No screening, no discussion. A couple of those people were told to see a psychiatrist, instead.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:43 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do some patients find they have to resort to "alternative medicine" (is there such a concept in Canada, or do all docs practice "integrative medicine", as in some parts of Europe, where herbs and supplements can be part of MD-prescribed treatment) to get help?
As this part of your question has not been answered, I will address it, as I am a Canadian student pharmacist. Canadian doctors have a similar relationship to alternative medicine as American doctors, and rarely recommend it as some European doctors do. The basic reason for this is that there isn't evidence of sufficient quality to prove the efficacy and safety of 99% of natural health products, and when there is high quality evidence, because natural health products do not require the same kinds of quality control testing that prescription drugs do, we cannot rely on the products themselves to reliably containt he amount of the drug the claim to contain, to contain that drug at all, or to not contain other plants or substances. Most people do not understand this. Some products like Fish Oil supplements or vitamins from reliable brands are useful enough and reliably safe, so I will recommend them, but most simply cannot be trusted. They do, however, represent a massively profitable industry that, unlike prescription drugs, can be legally advertised in Canada, do not require a prescription, are widely promoted on the internet without info on the inevitable side effects that come with drugs that actually do something, and can make claims on the bottles legally with very low levels of evidence. As such, natural health products are commonly used in Canada due to their convenient over the counter nature and marketing. Other forms of natural medicine which are pure nonsense like homeopathy are also sometimes used, as well as traditional First Nations healing traditions healing traditions from immigrant communities, which are sometimes more trusted by people from those cultures then biomedicine is.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 AM

3,901 posts, read 2,727,861 times
It's buyer beware as far as health supplements are concerned:

Health Canada acknowledges 'weak evidence' for approving herbal, vitamin supplements: fifth estate - Health - CBC News

For example:

Quote:
research in New Zealand published earlier this year found that 83 per cent of fish oil supplements tested exceeded maximum industry standards for rancidity. And recent tests by CBC's Marketplace showed that four of seven fish oil supplements tested showed signs of rancidity.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:49 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Thus the emphasis on reliable brands. Look for markers that the supplement has been independently tested and verified by an organization like USP or NSF. They will usually advertise this on the bottle. Unfortunately, it is fairly rare, and I find myself dissuading people from buying our natural health products and supplements most of the time. I am offended they are sold in my place of work and thus besmirch my own credibility as a health care professional.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:13 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,336,403 times
Quote:
What is this screening that takes place at every checkup? I know quite a few people who have gone in to their doc to discuss and get checked for hypoglycemia (considered to be a stage of pre-diabetes), and nothing happens. They get blown off. No screening, no discussion. A couple of those people were told to see a psychiatrist, instead.
I go for my annual physical. The nurse takes my blood pressure, checks my pulse, my weight and asks me how I'm feeling. Then the doctor comes in, listens to my heart and my lungs, gives me a look over for swelling in the extremities and again inquires about my overall well being. As he leaves, he hands me a form to go across the hall to the lab where they draw blood and have me pee in a cup. If I'm not fasting, I have to come back for the lab test. A few days later, the doctor gets the report and I can access it online. Cholesterol, glucose, triglycerides, vitamin D levels and a bunch of other stuff. I've never once heard of a doctor who blows off diabetes concerns, you are the very first person. There's lots of valid complaints about the medical care system in the US, but this one is unique to me.

If one is really worried about diabetes, they can walk in to Walgreens or CVS and get their own test kit.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:02 AM

7,235 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:

Do some patients find they have to resort to "alternative medicine" (is there such a concept in Canada, or do all docs practice "integrative medicine", as in some parts of Europe, where herbs and supplements can be part of MD-prescribed treatment) to get help?
I've encountered a few doctors in Canada who will recommend or approve of some types of alternative health care treatments or practices in addition to the doctors' treatments. Just to give a few examples: acupuncture, reiki, jorei, touch for health, color therapy, sound therapy, hydro therapy, hot stone massage, vibrational energy field balancing, myofascial release therapy, kinesiology, tai chi, chi gung, Ayurvedic dieting and certain other types of Asian, African or indigenous aboriginal diets / medicines / physical exercise treatments.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:13 AM

12,685 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I've encountered a few doctors in Canada who will recommend or approve of some types of alternative health care treatments or practices in addition to the doctors' treatments. Just to give a few examples: acupuncture, reiki, jorei, touch for health, color therapy, sound therapy, hydro therapy, hot stone massage, vibrational energy field balancing, myofascial release therapy, kinesiology, tai chi, chi gung, Ayurvedic dieting and certain other types of Asian, African or indigenous aboriginal diets / medicines / physical exercise treatments.

According to BC MSP coverage there seems to be a fair range of " alternative " procedures covered.

"Other services that may be covered by MSP include supplementary benefits provided by other health care practitioners. These include acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy, naturopathy, physical therapy and non-surgical podiatry."

Plus more including midwives etc.

Services Covered by MSP - Province of British Columbia

Old 08-20-2016, 07:53 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,486,575 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people self-diagnose. I also think that TV commercials push medicine and cause people to want to be tested for some sort of ailment even though they have no symptoms. In Canada, if a healthy person walks into the doctor's office and asks to be tested for some ailment or another, the doctor is not going to provide a referral unless there are factors and characteristics to suggest that the test is necessary. I suspect that is the same everywhere.

I knew a woman who went to the doctor to complain of heavy periods. She was told that it was a normal side effect of menopause and not to worry. She did worry. When she convinced the doctor to do a test, the cervical cancer had spread. She died a couple of years later. That was in the Netherlands, where there is high quality national health care.

No system is perfect, but Canadian health care ensures that medical costs are covered. For example, if you needed brain surgery tomorrow, you would have excellent medical care and hospital stay, and it would not cost a penny. If you went to the doctor and requested a MRI brain scan, it would be denied unless there were symptoms that indicated an MRI. A headache would not be enough to require a MRI brain scan.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 AM

986 posts, read 986,086 times
Quote:
I go for my annual physical. The nurse takes my blood pressure, checks my pulse, my weight and asks me how I'm feeling. Then the doctor comes in, listens to my heart and my lungs, gives me a look over for swelling in the extremities and again inquires about my overall well being. As he leaves, he hands me a form to go across the hall to the lab where they draw blood and have me pee in a cup. If I'm not fasting, I have to come back for the lab test. A few days later, the doctor gets the report and I can access it online. Cholesterol, glucose, triglycerides, vitamin D levels and a bunch of other stuff. I've never once heard of a doctor who blows off diabetes concerns, you are the very first person. There's lots of valid complaints about the medical care system in the US, but this one is unique to me.

If one is really worried about diabetes, they can walk in to Walgreens or CVS and get their own test kit.
Ditto. The tests that require fasting check your blood cholesterol and glucose levels and my doctor this year also ordered an A1C test as an additional test for diabetes. I live in Central Florida. I also access my lab results on line. I don't understand why your doctor doesn't order lab tests when you have your physical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada