U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,117 times

Advertisements

i live in new brunswick and a friend of mine just moved into an apartment a few days ago ( he did not sign any sort of lease either) and today his landlord told him out of the blue that he is only allowed to have 1 person in his apartment and that after 10pm he is not allowed to enter the apartment building to go to his apartment. so my question is .. is the landlord allowed to stop him from entering the building to get to his residence after a certain time ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 04:27 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,901,687 times
Maybe in Canada, you guys do have some interesting laws!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:41 PM

it's the first time i'm hearing about this .. lolll i live in an apartment building and my landlord has always told me i can have whoever as long as they aren't too noisy and also that if i come home late just don't make noise as to disturb the other ppl. which is understandable . but for him to not be allowed to enter his own apartment after 10pm is weird. i mean what if he works until 1 am ? hes gunna have to sleep outside in his car . that's ridiculous. ive checked everywhere for information but can't seem to find any .

Old 08-14-2016, 03:53 AM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Doesnt sound right or legal,you might want to get in touch with the cities tenants rights association. Probably something in here will point you in the right direction=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+b...k1.9WaQ_gpPF40

This site looks to be very informative to the problem,even comes with a toll free number for info=
http://www.snb.ca/irent/

Old 08-14-2016, 07:56 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,458,410 times
Send your friend this link to the NB landlord tenant act. I think the landlord is full of it.

The Residential Tenancies Act

Old 08-14-2016, 01:10 PM

78,680 posts, read 70,554,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Doesnt sound right or legal,you might want to get in touch with the cities tenants rights association. Probably something in here will point you in the right direction=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+b...k1.9WaQ_gpPF40

This site looks to be very informative to the problem,even comes with a toll free number for info=
Service New Brunswick - Rentalsman
Well, if he didn't sign any kind of rental agreement/contract, he's not a legal tenant. Why was there no contract? He has no rights. The LL could say to the court that he's a squatter.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:58 PM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, if he didn't sign any kind of rental agreement/contract, he's not a legal tenant. Why was there no contract? He has no rights. The LL could say to the court that he's a squatter.
Is this a room in a private home? or a rooming house?. while there maybe no official lease if its an apartment there is probably an expectation by the tenant that he will be free to come and go as he pleases.
heres how it works in Ontario=
Ontario Landlord and Tenant Law: No written lease--Am I in trouble?

I doubt the legal aspects of the issue would be much different in other parts of Canada.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:40 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,048,200 times
Does the renter have an apartment with a separate entrance? Or is he renting a room in a house, and entering after a certain hour might disturb the home owner?

I find it odd that no lease was signed. This suggests to me that: (1) there aren't a lot of units in the building and (2) the owner can make up any rules he likes. No lease, no rules, no protection for either the tenant or the landlord. Not a great situation.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:56 PM

where i live its actually common for that, mostly all they do is give a receipt every month when the rent is paid so as someone mentioned in the comments the LL can't say hes a squatter as there's proof he pays rent there with the date, his name and the apartment number on the receipt and there is more than 8 apartments in the building.. i lived in alot of apartments here where there was nothing to sign all i got was a receipt when i paid the rent and a reciept when i paid a deposit.. and to answer everyone's question . its a bachelor apartment . not a rooming house or room . its within an apartment building. thanks everyone for the links also i will check them out ^_^ im in the process of trying to get my friend out of there. as since hes the new tenant hes being picked on. even getting blamed for things that are happening in the building when hes not even there. small towns are really horrible for these kinds of things. thanks everyone for the help

Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,048,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJewlz View Post
where i live its actually common for that, mostly all they do is give a receipt every month when the rent is paid so as someone mentioned in the comments the LL can't say hes a squatter as there's proof he pays rent there with the date, his name and the apartment number on the receipt and there is more than 8 apartments in the building.. i lived in alot of apartments here where there was nothing to sign all i got was a receipt when i paid the rent and a reciept when i paid a deposit.. and to answer everyone's question . its a bachelor apartment . not a rooming house or room . its within an apartment building. thanks everyone for the links also i will check them out ^_^ im in the process of trying to get my friend out of there. as since hes the new tenant hes being picked on. even getting blamed for things that are happening in the building when hes not even there. small towns are really horrible for these kinds of things. thanks everyone for the help
I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like the landlord is a bit paranoid and "off"... they have no business telling someone in a multi-unit building what hour they can come in or leave the building! What if your friend has a night shift job? Weird situation... your friend is definitely better off moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or