U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 09:59 PM

506 posts, read 1,278,650 times

Advertisements

One main issue is the RCMP decided to cull the Natives' dogs called the Canadian Eskimo (or Inuit) dogs without the owners' permission because for whatever reason, someone higher up in the RCMP chain order decided the natives needed to be "made" to move to town. It was a huge issue and it was recently done. Completely illegal and very condescending towards the native people in a way.

The RCMP and Quebec's Provincial Police Nearly Killed Off the Inuit Sled Dog | VICE | Canada

There's a lot more articles online that you can do a search and find.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...slaughter.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 07:25 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,461,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Canada is a multi-cultural country, and it is important to recognize and celebrate the origins of those cultures. Personally, I don't care for aboriginal music. Some people can't stand the sound of bagpipes, I love them. Aboriginal music is something that simply grates on me, so I would never attend another aboriginal event with that music. As a child, my family attended the International Food Festival. At the time it was an indoor event that was typically attended by other first generation Canadians. Today, international food festivals and cultural events are celebrated year round and are enjoyed nationally, regardless of when participants became Canadian.

Native Americans (aboriginal) are of the Mongoloid race, also prevalent in the Asia. Europeans were the next settlers. Should we celebrate the first settlers, the first two settlers, the first five settlers? What about mixed race European (Caucasian)/Aboriginal (Mongoloid) descendants of the first two groups of settlers? Clearly that is no longer purely an aboriginal culture, but is it any less important? Museums in Montreal have dedicated sections for the cross cultural innovations from European/Aboriginal mixed race culture, which interestingly documents the introduction of new techniques and methods to the aboriginal culture. On the one hand, it seems that European influence on aboriginal culture is perceived as a negative, but on the other hand, who wants to live in a teepee when you can have a house?
What an odd post.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:34 PM

506 posts, read 1,278,650 times
Is the poster talking about the high pitched powwow singing? They have to sing high pitch because they believe it carries the songs to the heavens properly. There are different ways of singing. Flute music. Inuit music is quite different from the powwow singing. They sing differently and use hand drums.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:43 PM

5,765 posts, read 4,184,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I think a lot of times we (I'm speaking of "us" white people) just focus too much on ethnicity. Focus should be on cultural differences... I've been thinking lately about how incredibly tough it is for anyone moving from a rural reserve to a big city in Canada. The culture shock has to be immense. Do we really understand what people migrating to cities from reserves really go through? I don't think we're close to fathoming how different, and how difficult, the transition is for many of them.
Well it can't be any worse than staying up on those reserves where they drink their welfare money away, do drugs, don't work because there aren't jobs, sniff gas, neglect their children, rape their children and live in squalor (unless you are a chief of one of the chief's cronies)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada