U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,784,549 times

Advertisements

As a first generation Canadian living in Toronto I got to admit I really don't know all that much about aboriginal issues or history. Sure we learned tid bits in school, but most of what I do know as an adult comes from watching tv, news clips or documentaries.

This mornging I got another gentle reminder that there is still so much I ( and possible many other Canadians) don't know and should know.

Downie praised for putting Trudeau on spot about indigenous issues

For anyone wanting to know more about Aboriginal Canadian history, culture and current issues what would suggest they see, read, watch or visit in Canada? If you are an Aboriginal Canadian reading this what would you want other Canadians or people around the world to know about your culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:46 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
I will respond to this post by using the OPS own words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
National accountability is the key to moving forward in my opinion. At the end of the day any country and nation can sit around trying to blame everyone else for their problems. What does that accomplish nothing!!!! The poor me attitude is some of these under developed countries needs to change.
I will apply what she says about poor Latin american countries to poor Canadians also.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I will respond to this post by using the OPS own words.

I will apply what she says about poor Latin american countries to poor Canadians also.
I get that idea to some extent ... but honestly I don't think at least when I was in school we where told the whole story. Ex one side of the story. I think certain places in Canada there is more exposer to Aborignal people and culture. In Toronto I dont really see or meet a lot of Aborignal people and when I do this sounds horrible to say, but I am being honest they are homeless or alcoholic/drug addicts or people with severe mental and physcial health issues (this also has to do with what I do for a living... so this is a likely biasis there).

http://www.newcreditpowwow.com/index2.html

On a side note OMG ... you really seem to take huge offense to a lot of the stuff I say. In sincerity it is not actually meant with bad intentions. I am not looking down on anyone ... or trying to be mean spirited. I idea and information seeking.

There is this event in Mississuage I am considering going to this weekend...

Anyone ever been to a pow wow? I read the section on etiquette... seems a bit intimidating.

Last edited by klmrocks; 08-22-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
Quote:
I get that idea to some extent ... but honestly I don't think at least when I was in school we where told the whole story. Ex one side of the story. I think certain places in Canada there is more exposer to Aborignal people and culture. In Toronto I dont really see or meet a lot of Aborignal people and when I do this sounds horrible to say, but I am being honest they are homeless or alcoholic/drug addicts or people with severe mental and physcial health issues (this also has to do with what I do for a living... so this is a likely biasis there).

New Credit Pow Wow - Three Fires Homecoming Pow Wow and Traditional Gathering

Anyone ever been to a pow wow? I read the section on etiquette... seems a bit intimidating.
I've been to a few powwows at the Kahnawake reserve near Montreal and a powwow at McGill University. I wouldn't be intimidated by all that, it's a festival and outsiders are expected and welcome, just go and enjoy yourself, as long as you aren't going around acting like a prick there won't be a problem.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:46 PM

7,255 posts, read 6,591,773 times
Quote:

.... For anyone wanting to know more about Aboriginal Canadian history, culture and current issues what would suggest they see, read, watch or visit in Canada? .......
This would be a good start: Indigenous Peoples - The Canadian Encyclopedia

Quote:

New Credit Pow Wow - Three Fires Homecoming Pow Wow and Traditional Gathering

I've been to lots of pow wows. The etiquette is not hard for any sensible and polite person to follow. Be polite, don't push and shove, say please and thank you. Smile a lot, you will find there is a lot to smile about. Talk to people. Don't touch anything that isn't on display offered up for sale in a booth. Don't go being a snoopy lookie-loo around the areas where they have set up their personal living quarters outside of the circle.

Don't just consider it, definitely go to the pow wow. You will be in for a huge treat of sights and sounds that will blow you away. Take whatever spending money you can spare as you will find there are exquisitely handcrafted jewellery, arts and crafts and wonderful foods and you are guaranteed to find something that you absolutely MUST HAVE. Be sure to buy yourself some bannock (aka Indian Fry Bread) and eat it while it's still piping hot with their homemade Indian strawberry jam (yes, they call it Indian fry bread and jam). If nothing else, the beat of the drums will get into your heart and head and follow you home.

Enjoy!

Old 08-25-2016, 05:01 PM

2,091 posts, read 1,459,600 times
Absolutely go to a pow wow, the people who organize those events want you there. Every Canadian should attend at least one in their lifetime.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:03 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,051,616 times
Quote:
As a first generation Canadian living in Toronto I got to admit I really don't know all that much about aboriginal issues or history. Sure we learned tid bits in school, but most of what I do know as an adult comes from watching tv, news clips or documentaries.

This mornging I got another gentle reminder that there is still so much I ( and possible many other Canadians) don't know and should know.

For anyone wanting to know more about Aboriginal Canadian history, culture and current issues what would suggest they see, read, watch or visit in Canada? If you are an Aboriginal Canadian reading this what would you want other Canadians or people around the world to know about your culture?
That's a tough one. I grew up out east and knew Mikmaq kids in school and at university too. Although there are many issues that indigenous people have in common across Canada, my only thought is that it's important to recognize that there are significant differences between the various First Nations, and even from community to community. The traditions, the culture, the history, can be quite different from one place to another.

There are native friendship centres across Canada in large cities, including Toronto. You might want to look one up, and see if they have any public events going on. Sometimes they invite the public to observe certain ceremonies etc..

Old 08-27-2016, 01:37 PM

Default .....

If misunderstood the invent info for the power wow... it is actualy a cutural festival. It is in September. I will post the link later. I convinced a few family members to go. This sounds odd.... but I feel I am being pulled in this direction right now for a reason. A few days ago I just happened to be walking to meet someone and walked past 2 aboriginal people a man and a woman ( both I could tell had drug or substance abuse issues in their past)... they where embracing each other and chanting... it almost seemed to console each other. Very note worthy incidence out of nowhere and not typical for me in Toronto. Regardless I think I need to go and something good will come out of the experience. I got my tickets so the ball is rolling.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:09 AM

1,284 posts, read 902,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I've been to a few powwows at the Kahnawake reserve near Montreal and a powwow at McGill University. I wouldn't be intimidated by all that, it's a festival and outsiders are expected and welcome, just go and enjoy yourself, as long as you aren't going around acting like a prick there won't be a problem.
I live in Chateauguay, have since 2010, and have yet to go to a powwow. I have got to go! Maybe we'll go next year - see you there?

Kahnawake has its own newspaper, The Eastern Door.

I hadn't checked that site for a while, and I notice that the online version is free to read. There used to be a charge to read the newspaper online.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:29 AM

1,284 posts, read 902,010 times
Quote:

Try googling aboriginal newspapers/radio stations in your area.

I'm in an off-island burb of Montreal, and can read The Eastern Door online.

Kahnawake Radio K103

Their Friday night radio bingo is very popular. I don't play, but I know a lot of people who do.

There's also APTN television network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada