U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-06-2016, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,881 posts, read 2,400,173 times
Reputation: 5349

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
How do you find the Americans' legal system to be different?

Outside of the fact that individual states in the US are in charge of their own criminal law, while in Canada, criminal law is a federal responsibility, what's different?

Both the US and Canada follow a common-law tradition, like the UK, Australia, India, Ireland, and others. Sure, we each have one jurisdiction that follows civil law (Quebec and Louisiana), but legally-speaking, we're more alike than different. An American lawyer has the same education as a Canadian lawyer (Langdellian system of legal education), and like a Canadian lawyer, knows the contra proferentem rule, knows the five elements of contract, knows the Plain View Doctrine, knows the Rule Against Perpetuities, and so on and so on. Courtroom procedures are pretty much the same, arguments are made on the basis of stare decisis, and decisions are made accordingly.

So what's different?
Main difference is HOW our System does NOT allow informations to be media wise exposed to the Public.. ala "Sunshine Laws" Our system actually silences any comment on evidence or any facts to the public outside of generalizations.. Victim's are NOT re-victimized..and the same for the accused . The media is in affect "Muzzled"..and only during a trial AFTER testimony in trial can any evidence get exposed to the public. This alone describes one HuuuuGE difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Arrrh; this should be good........!
.. But Bru~~ I fail to see how this subtopic has anything to do with American's OP suggest are NOT travelling to Canada..

Course discounting cross boarder travel to shop isn't considered ..LOL then of course Online Pharmaceutical purchases for meds ( since we have controls of pricing on Pharmaceutical Corporations) happening daily+++

So why bother travel to Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2016, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,120,465 times
Reputation: 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Main difference is HOW our System does NOT allow informations to be media wise exposed to the Public.. ala "Sunshine Laws" Our system actually silences any comment on evidence or any facts to the public outside of generalizations.. Victim's are NOT re-victimized..and the same for the accused . The media is in affect "Muzzled"..and only during a trial AFTER testimony in trial can any evidence get exposed to the public. This alone describes one HuuuuGE difference



.. But Bru~~ I fail to see how this subtopic has anything to do with American's OP suggest are NOT travelling to Canada..

Course discounting cross boarder travel to shop isn't considered ..LOL then of course Online Pharmaceutical purchases for meds ( since we have controls of pricing on Pharmaceutical Corporations) happening daily+++

So why bother travel to Canada
I read this 5x and still have no clue what you're trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,206 posts, read 1,770,703 times
Reputation: 2695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Main difference is HOW our System does NOT allow informations to be media wise exposed to the Public.. ala "Sunshine Laws" Our system actually silences any comment on evidence or any facts to the public outside of generalizations.. Victim's are NOT re-victimized..and the same for the accused . The media is in affect "Muzzled"..and only during a trial AFTER testimony in trial can any evidence get exposed to the public. This alone describes one HuuuuGE difference
No. Our legal system is quite open, and accessible. The media reports on what happened today in court, and the public is always welcome to attend in the courtroom. In fact, a courtroom cannot be closed to the public when court is in session. "In order for justice to be done, it must be seen to be done," as the legal maxim goes. We have no Star Chambers in Canada.

With that being said, our courts do occasionally impose publication bans. This is always done in youth court (which remains open to the public regardless); and occasionally in adult court, in order to protect young victims of crime--would you really want your 13-year-old kid's name in the media, if he or she was the victim of rape? At any rate, the trial decision, and any appeals, will always be published in the various reporters, in databases, and on Canlii; and steps will be taken to refer to identifying child victims or witnesses by initial: see, e.g. R. v. B. (K.G.), [1993] 1 SCR 740.

More to the point, Lieneke asserted that the US has a "distinctly different legal system." Given that we're both common-law countries, and use an adversarial system, as opposed to the inquisitorial system used in civil-law countries, I'd like Lieneke to explain his or her remark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Glendale, CA
1,299 posts, read 2,120,131 times
Reputation: 1379
I find it interesting that this thread has a premise (int'l American travelers don't visit Canada) that was disproven by actual data very quickly, yet it's gone on for 16 pages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,739 posts, read 8,830,375 times
Reputation: 7347
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I find it interesting that this thread has a premise (int'l American travelers don't visit Canada) that was disproven by actual data very quickly, yet it's gone on for 16 pages.
The OP wasn't saying Americans don't travel to Canada, he was saying MOST Americans, who travel internationally don't, and don't think about travelling to Canada...and the data does prove that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Canada could handle 30 million ( guessing ) more US travellers to Canada, without a slow gradual climb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Glendale, CA
1,299 posts, read 2,120,131 times
Reputation: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The OP wasn't saying Americans don't travel to Canada, he was saying MOST Americans, who travel internationally don't, and don't think about travelling to Canada...and the data does prove that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Canada could handle 30 million ( guessing ) more US travellers to Canada, without a slow gradual climb.
Yet Canada is the #2 international destination for Americans. So if "most Americans" are not thinking about visiting Canada, then you could say the same thing about every other country in the world.

The fact is that Canada IS a popular destination for Americans, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 01:31 PM
 
6,681 posts, read 4,173,659 times
Reputation: 17186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Yet Canada is the #2 international destination for Americans. So if "most Americans" are not thinking about visiting Canada, then you could say the same thing about every other country in the world.

The fact is that Canada IS a popular destination for Americans, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
I would be interested in knowing what percentage of those American tourists live with, say, three hours' drive of the border. I'm guessing it's large. For people who live close to the border, going into Canada makes them "international tourists" even though Canada may be closer to their homes than the next nearest US state.

I live pretty far away, in Southern California, and I rarely hear people talk about their Canadian vacations. If they travel internationally, it's usually to Mexico (which is within a three hours' drive of us, so very easy to get to) or Europe.

Truly, I think most people in the southern parts of the US feel that if they're going to go to the trouble of getting a passport and flying to another country, it's going to be France or Italy or England over Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,985 posts, read 7,355,280 times
Reputation: 3741
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I would be interested in knowing what percentage of those American tourists live with, say, three hours' drive of the border. I'm guessing it's large. For people who live close to the border, going into Canada makes them "international tourists" even though Canada may be closer to their homes than the next nearest US state.

I live pretty far away, in Southern California, and I rarely hear people talk about their Canadian vacations. If they travel internationally, it's usually to Mexico (which is within a three hours' drive of us, so very easy to get to) or Europe.

Truly, I think most people in the southern parts of the US feel that if they're going to go to the trouble of getting a passport and flying to another country, it's going to be France or Italy or England over Canada.
I do agree with your point. Here in Pittsburgh, it's common for people to make trips to Southern Ontario and even trips to Quebec aren't that uncommon. However, you hear very few people talk about taking trips to the Prairies, BC, or the Maritimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 PM
 
495 posts, read 340,595 times
Reputation: 576
Back when I was younger, my Mom use to drive us to Platsburg to buy stuff or go to a restaurant for the epic portions. That among many other things sells me on the USA as a better travel destination than visiting the rest of Canada. *** I've only been/lived in Ontario and Quebec. May be going over to Winnipeg for job reasons, but I otherwise have no urge to explore the rest of Canada besides one day hitting Nun-vat and thereabouts to see the scenario. Why bother with the rest of Canada when I got 50 States of adventure to discover? You tell me? Yeah, ok. American like to come to Canada. Ain't no big surprise there. They got the spending power over us. What of Canadians? Why do we flock to America year after year? I'll tell you why: America is the greatest country on earth.

I said. Yeah, I went there!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2016, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,221,816 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Back when I was younger, my Mom use to drive us to Platsburg to buy stuff or go to a restaurant for the epic portions. That among many other things sells me on the USA as a better travel destination than visiting the rest of Canada. *** I've only been/lived in Ontario and Quebec. May be going over to Winnipeg for job reasons, but I otherwise have no urge to explore the rest of Canada besides one day hitting Nun-vat and thereabouts to see the scenario. Why bother with the rest of Canada when I got 50 States of adventure to discover? You tell me? Yeah, ok. American like to come to Canada. Ain't no big surprise there. They got the spending power over us. What of Canadians? Why do we flock to America year after year? I'll tell you why: America is the greatest country on earth.

I said. Yeah, I went there!!!!

*closest.....country on Earth.

I do think America is great, but when we're "all" within 100km of the border, you gonna fly to Europe, or take a drive to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top