U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2016, 06:30 PM
 
48 posts, read 32,918 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Perhaps you should travel a bit more.

The access to the running water, functioning toilets, and nasty incects depends on your destination. I visited places that people worked in, not tourist traps. In Mexico, China, and especially India you still have homes and whole villages where water has to be obtained via a hand cranked pump on the street (and has a strong iron aftertaste, and must be boiled first). A toilet is often just a hole in the ground, with places to put you feet while you're squatting. And the incects / snakes / rodents are everywhere. Well, not half of them is trying to kill you, so that was an exaggeration, this one I can admit.

Mexico seems more universally developed, China is spotty, India is pretty much in the Middle Ages outside of large cites. But I would strongly suggest to boil your water in any of these countries. And never assume there's toilet paper, or even the possibility to wash your hands after going to the bathroom. And don't ever go to the bathroom after dinner if you can't tolerate the smell of a large horse sable on a hot sunny afternoon.

By comparison, Canada is just so... normal.
you visited a village

VILLAGE. No wonder toilet facilities were rare
and yes, china, india, mexico still beat canada in the interesting department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2016, 08:04 PM
 
18,358 posts, read 10,429,351 times
Reputation: 13437
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleff89 View Post
you visited a village

VILLAGE. No wonder toilet facilities were rare
and yes, china, india, mexico still beat canada in the interesting department.
No kidding; rampant pollution, burgeoning criminal activity, widespread poverty, gender inequality, filth and squalor will trump the boredom of a country ranked in the top ten any day for being "interesting".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2016, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Land Of Smiles
293 posts, read 162,961 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No kidding; rampant pollution, burgeoning criminal activity, widespread poverty, gender inequality, filth and squalor will trump the boredom of a country ranked in the top ten any day for being "interesting".
Maybe Canada is better for living, but we are talking about visiting as a tourist. There is a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2016, 09:47 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,285,976 times
Reputation: 9847
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Maybe Canada is better for living, but we are talking about visiting as a tourist. There is a huge difference.
Exactly. An area isn't more interesting for tourists just because it's richer/more developed. Italy and Spain are a lot less wealthy than Scandinavia, for example, but are generally much more popular for tourists. Places like Bali and Thailand and Morocco are downright poor but still very popular. The vast majority of people will visit Rio over Ottawa (or really any Canadian city) hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2016, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Land Of Smiles
293 posts, read 162,961 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Exactly. An area isn't more interesting for tourists just because it's richer/more developed. Italy and Spain are a lot less wealthy than Scandinavia, for example, but are generally much more popular for tourists. Places like Bali and Thailand and Morocco are downright poor but still very popular. The vast majority of people will visit Rio over Ottawa (or really any Canadian city) hands down.
After living 4 years in Thailand I can't say it is so poor. Actually, I think the middle class there lives better than the middle class here in Canada. And much more happier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,194 posts, read 1,763,306 times
Reputation: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
In the US an appeal means a do-over.
So you're saying that double-jeopardy exists in the US? Because that's what a "do-over" is: a second trial, which is contrary to the Fifth Amendment of the US Constitution. It is also contrary to s. 11(h) of the Canadian Charter. In short, there are no "do-overs" at the appellate level in the US or Canada. Hell, in both the US and Canada, an appellate matter is lawyers speaking to judges: no witnesses, no evidence, no nothing, except caselaw research.

In fact, your claim that " In the US an appeal means a do-over," tells me that you really do not understand law at all. So let me set you straight.

First of all, in the US, as in Canada, appellate matters are handled on errors in law. They are not do-overs. Facts are always found at trial; they are never found on appeal. Errors in law are dealt with upon appeal, but never facts.

Secondly, Lieneke, you are wrong, wrong, and yet more wrong, in so many other ways. Suggest you study US and Canadian appellate decisions, and laws (both statutory and common-law) and reconsider your position. You might start by reading these two books:

The Canadian Legal System, 5th Edition , by Gerald Gall.
On Coming to Law: An Introduction to Law in Liberal Societies, by F.C. DeCoste.

I should add, both are on my bookshelf, and both are full of highlights and marginalia, made by me. (And I have attended lectures by both Professors Gall and DeCoste.) Are they on your bookshelf? At any rate, you can probably find them at your local public library. If not, your local law library will have them. I suggest that you read them before you get yourself in serious trouble. Not from me, but from the authorities, who will not accept your "we use EU law" argument. Try that in court, and listen to the judge laugh.

Never been in court, Lieneke? Well, I have. Not as an accused, but as a lawyer, representing clients in criminal and civil matters. I know this stuff--it's my job. What do you do for a living, and what qualifies you to comment on the law? Have you been to law school? I have. Have you studied for, and passed, the bar? I have. Have you been consulted by the provinces as to how their research in Supreme Court cases is solid or weak, as the case may be? I have.

I've done all of the above. Have you? No?

Then, when it comes to Canadian, or common-law, law; you would do well to sit down, shut up, and listen. You might learn something.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 09-12-2016 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 04:08 AM
 
48 posts, read 32,918 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No kidding; rampant pollution, burgeoning criminal activity, widespread poverty, gender inequality, filth and squalor will trump the boredom of a country ranked in the top ten any day for being "interesting".
Who cares! I am a tourist, I want to discover a new fascinating culture.

I take Mexico city, Bombay, Shanghai, Rio, CapeTown, Moscow any day over any Canadian city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Windsor Ontario/Colchester Ontario
1,503 posts, read 1,361,820 times
Reputation: 1723
Canada doesn't want pompous a holes visiting anyway, so everybody wins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,839 posts, read 1,702,173 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleff89 View Post
you visited a village

VILLAGE. No wonder toilet facilities were rare
and yes, china, india, mexico still beat canada in the interesting department.
Well, I used the word "village" because that's where you mostly see the lack of running water. The 3rd world toilet accommodations can be found pretty much anywhere, including large and seemingly modern cities, at least in China and India. OTOH, the toilets in Japan made me think it was I who lived in a 3rd world country. Ever seen a high tech toilet seat ?

Anyway, whether India or Japan, or Mexico or Costa Rica, they are far more foreign than Canada. As I said, I wouldn't feel any different in Vancouver than in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 05:48 PM
 
18,358 posts, read 10,429,351 times
Reputation: 13437
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Maybe Canada is better for living, but we are talking about visiting as a tourist. There is a huge difference.

Yep there sure is. We've travelled extensively starting in the early 70's as "dinks" and been to most places you can mention.

We were of the persuasion to forsake the usual touristy destinations and would seek out those more remote. Having been there and done that, am damn glad I LIVE where I do. Having witnessed the filth and general squalor present when one strays just yards from the beaten tourist track in a lot of countries is an experience we no longer desire to partake.

I have hundreds of photos of the general day to day life of many of the worlds lessor entitled. We overdosed on getting to the "gritty" and irreparably harmed our adventure spirit.

Believe me when I tell you that you too will confront a wall where ignoring the "cons" for the few relative "pros" of a foreign "cultural" experience is no longer within your desires for a travel "bucket list".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top