U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:13 PM

148 posts, read 123,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I have. It doesn't hold up to BC.
Agreed. BC is freaking spectacular, as are the Alberta Rockies. I love Montana -- it's my favorite state in the US -- but the Canadian Rockies are simply more rugged and spectacular looking than any other mountain range this side of Alaska. America has more biodiversity, but in terms of shear scenic prowess, western Canada ranks up there with Switzerland, New Zealand, etc. So the argument that America has everything Canada has is simply wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 PM

7,219 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post

When you compare Canada to the USA, what is so great in Canada that you can't already get or quintessentially fully sample in the USA? The USA has everything bigger and better with more pip. ..... <snip> .....
I think to really be able to tell the differences, what's better, what's worse, in comparisons between Canada and USA a person needs to travel on leisurely road trips all over both countries and really "experience" them.

In my road trip experiences of both countries, what's great about Canada by comparison is it's cleaner and healthier. Cleaner, nice smelling air. Cleaner, fresher water. Cleaner, unpolluted soil. Healthier vegetation everywhere. Healthier people. Healthier wildlife. Less garbage and human filth (if any) along the highways. Less roadkill of wildlife on highways. No dead housepets dumped out of moving vehicles onto the highways. Less people. Less vehicles. Less noise pollution. Less buildings. Less junk and garbage in people's front yards and on private properties. Less congestion. Less signage blocking views. Less anxiety and social tensions during the travels.

It may be true that everything about USA is bigger than life, but whether or not it's all better than Canada or any other country is debatable depending on what your real values are. The long and the short of it is that Canada has far less people than what it could easily accomodate, the majority of whom are making a cooperative effort to keep the nest clean - and USA has far too many people, most of whom don't seem to care about keeping the nest clean. If fouling your own nest is a real American value to Americans who travel then there's nothing of value for them to see in Canada.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:32 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,106,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think to really be able to tell the differences, what's better, what's worse, in comparisons between Canada and USA a person needs to travel on leisurely road trips all over both countries and really "experience" them.

In my road trip experiences of both countries, what's great about Canada by comparison is it's cleaner and healthier. Cleaner, nice smelling air. Cleaner, fresher water. Cleaner, unpolluted soil. Healthier vegetation everywhere. Healthier people. Healthier wildlife. Less garbage and human filth (if any) along the highways. Less roadkill of wildlife on highways. No dead housepets dumped out of moving vehicles onto the highways. Less people. Less vehicles. Less noise pollution. Less buildings. Less junk and garbage in people's front yards and on private properties. Less congestion. Less signage blocking views. Less anxiety and social tensions during the travels.

It may be true that everything about USA is bigger than life, but whether or not it's all better than Canada or any other country is debatable depending on what your real values are. The long and the short of it is that Canada has far less people than what it could easily accomodate, the majority of whom are making a cooperative effort to keep the nest clean - and USA has far too many people, most of whom don't seem to care about keeping the nest clean. If fouling your own nest is a real American value to Americans who travel then there's nothing of value for them to see in Canada.
What are you talking about?

The U.S. was the first country in the world to create a national park, Yellowstone. We've protected more natural space in the past decade than any country has ever done. Obama created a marine sanctuary the size of Germany, UK, Italy, Spain and France COMBINED. Before Remote Islands became the biggest wildlife sanctuary, it was Papahanamokuakea in Hawai'i.

Today is the 100th anniversary of our National Park Service and our national parks are thriving and incredibly well kept. In fact, many of those who come to the U.S. and destroy our parks are foreign tourists, including Canadians: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-stunts-damage.

The fact that you think the U.S. doesn't protect its nature is nonsense. We've effectively banned coal power plants in the past decade, shepherded the Paris Climate Change Accord (which Harper opposed), banned Keystone XL's pipeline through our Ogallala Aquifer, mandated 54.5mpg cars within 10 years, banned toxic chemicals from our paint and factory waste. We just designated a new National Monument TODAY. 134 square miles in Northern Maine are now protected: https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016...es-north-woods. Not only that but our economy isn't propped up by bitumin exports like Canada or Mexico.

So frankly, you are dead wrong on all of these points. Canada, I agree, has stunning scenery in BC and Yukon and a sliver of Alberta. But to say the U.S. is full of fat people with anxiety destroying our nature is the height of ignorance and arrogance. Why do you keep visiting the U.S. in your "many road trips" if Canada is so superior? It makes no sense unless 'road trips' is code for reading online forums.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:22 PM

7,219 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

What are you talking about? ..... <snip> ....
What are YOU talking about? None of what you just said in your above post has anything to do with the points I made in my post so what's your point? Nothing you said negates or disproves anything I said about my observations and what I said is the truth.

If you don't believe what I said then that means you haven't seen and smelled all of America for yourself from the road and I know you have never stepped foot in Canada so you have no personal comparison to relate.

Do you need me to go do another review and find your recent posts where you've said you've never been to Canada nor have desire to and quote those posts here for proof?

And quit twisting and putting false words in my mouth about topics I haven't even brought up. Do you think that I and other people can't read and comprehend the things I've already posted and that we need you to interpret them falsely for all of us as if we're all half-wits who don't understand the written word?

After you have actually visited Canada get back to us about your own personal observations instead of talking about Canada here pretending that you've seen it and are familiar with it. I'm beginning to realize now just how unfamiliar you really are with your own adopted country let alone with Canada, a country you've never been to and have no desire to visit.

Maybe you need to get in a car and go for a really long road trip all over USA and Canada with your eyes and your nostrils wide open to the real world to see and smell for yourself what both countries are really like about keeping home clean.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-25-2016 at 11:37 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 11:41 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoisite View Post
In my road trip experiences of both countries, what's great about canada by comparison is it's cleaner and healthier. Cleaner, nice smelling air. Cleaner, fresher water. Cleaner, unpolluted soil. Healthier vegetation everywhere. Healthier people. Healthier wildlife. [i]less garbage and human filth (if any) along the highways. [/i]less roadkill of wildlife on highways. no dead housepets dumped out of moving vehicles onto the highways. l

You forgot a few........Less packs of wild dogs that control the streets of major cities, Less wild horses at major intersections and highway exits. Less hamburger stands and obese people causing traffic jams....Less bibles being thrown around causing severe eye injuries......Please go on zoiste you were doing great.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 AM

637 posts, read 644,410 times
I am a newbie World Traveler and I have visited Canada more than 50 times. I used to live in Upstate New York and could drive to Canada for the day if I wanted to. I have been to Ontario about 8 times; all of my other trips were to Quebec. My only two Canada destination goals are Calgary (for the Stampede) and Vancouver.

Like someone said, Canada is not different enough from the United States. I try to convince people to see Montreal and they feel that if they can go there, they can just as easily go to Paris. They are wrong but this is a common opinion. There are scores of Americans who do visit Toronto and Montreal. I don't have any statistics but I feel that there is a fair amount of cross-border traffic at least for the people who live in border states.

I am a traveler so I will take the opportunity to go anywhere and see anything, even if it is not going to be that exciting. Canada, however, is definitely just a northern state to me. Once, when I was in Ontario, I saw a billboard advertising Cuba vacations. I gasped! Then I had to remind myself that I was in another country....

Canada holds a special place in my heart because that is where I met my hubby. So, maybe I am not an unbiased poster.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 AM

5,951 posts, read 7,319,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

What?!?!

So you mean to tell me there's more and less of many things you listed in a place with a population of 320 million than 35 million people?!?! I'm just STUNNED I tell you!! I would have never guess there were more cars and buildings in the US than Canada

You also clearly have not seen much of the U.S. if you think it has far too many people.

Those Americans are just such awful and dirty people. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...fire-1.3736699

Old 08-26-2016, 08:41 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,637,400 times
I have made numerous trips to Canada (at least 500) my dad was from there and we had relatives in Toronto. I have been to Toronto 100's of times, Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Bruce Peninsula,Ottawa and lots of others in between. Its a lovely country and if you live on the border, as I do, its great fun. If you like wide open spaces there are lots of them. To come from a distance away I am not sure there is that much to see to warrant a visit except for the gorgeous women there. Toronto is like any other big city it has great restaurants, theater, nice hotels and shopping but to fly there from far away its not that exciting. Canada is nice country and they treat their citizens very well and its clean and if you live nearby its certainly worth a visit. The only downside is the climate because it gets pretty cold there. I also met my wonderful wife there for which I will be eternally grateful.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 08-26-2016 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-26-2016, 09:24 AM

11,435 posts, read 6,398,275 times
A big problem is that it's too cold. Yes, I know there are parts of the year when it's nice, but it's only from May to September (I've been in Upstate NY so I know how cold it can be from October and April, and I imagine Canada is even worse), and that means that the opportunities to visit Canada are very limited. There are also just four interesting cities in Canada, and one of them, Toronto has a reputation for rudeness, that's just what I heard, and if I want rudeness I can just go to Manhattan anytime I want. The other city is just too far away, hidden behind all the Dakotas and the Manitobas and the Iowas in the middle of the continent. That just leaves Montreal and Quebec, which sound like amazing places to visit, but once again, you can only visit them during the summer if you don't like dragging your jackets around everywhere

A personal problem is that I don't have any connections there either, so I have no one to go and visit and have them show me around. Usually that's how my travel goes

Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM

293 posts, read 161,671 times
I think the majority of US visitors coming to Canada belong to one of these categories;

1) Live next to the border
2) Visiting friends / family
3) Business travellers

Canada is not much different from northern parts of US. When people are looking for travel destinations, they usually find important:

1) Novelty and excitement - that means exotic destinations, and unless one go to Nunavut or North-West Territories (that can cost a lot of money and is not a cup of tea for everyone), Canada is neither novel or exotic. Also, US citizens can go to Alaska (US state)

2) Canada is a huge country, there are few cities and they are located far from each other. Hence it takes time to travel from one point to another, while airfares inside Canada is very expensive. For example, the cost of airfare from Toronto to Newfoundland is comparable to the cost of flying from US to Europe (London, Paris). And since the airfares / railway fares inside Europe is cheap and distances are short, you can see and visit much more places while on vacation in Europe, rather than in Canada. And if people travel with children, the importance of affordable air fares are even more important (unless people would like to drive hundred / thousands of miles).

3) No tropical / subtropical climate zones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or