Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times

Advertisements

I think the passport requirement for land travel was ridiculously stupid and really hasn't made either country any safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 08:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
This American has been to Canada 3 times. I'll say Canada is like the US, but not like the US. It doesn't have a feel of traveling to a foreign places like say Brazil or Jamaica.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What are YOU talking about? None of what you just said in your above post has anything to do with the points I made in my post so what's your point? Nothing you said negates or disproves anything I said about my observations and what I said is the truth.

If you don't believe what I said then that means you haven't seen and smelled all of America for yourself from the road and I know you have never stepped foot in Canada so you have no personal comparison to relate.

Do you need me to go do another review and find your recent posts where you've said you've never been to Canada nor have desire to and quote those posts here for proof?

And quit twisting and putting false words in my mouth about topics I haven't even brought up. Do you think that I and other people can't read and comprehend the things I've already posted and that we need you to interpret them falsely for all of us as if we're all half-wits who don't understand the written word?

After you have actually visited Canada get back to us about your own personal observations instead of talking about Canada here pretending that you've seen it and are familiar with it. I'm beginning to realize now just how unfamiliar you really are with your own adopted country let alone with Canada, a country you've never been to and have no desire to visit.

Maybe you need to get in a car and go for a really long road trip all over USA and Canada with your eyes and your nostrils wide open to the real world to see and smell for yourself what both countries are really like about keeping home clean.
How crude, arrogant and ill-informed of you. I don't believe you've spent much time in the states at all. You claim to visit it frequently for road trips, but also state that you've hated every trip. Why are you still going? If America smells like shlt and all Americans are fatasses with guns, why do you continue to visit? So you can complain in online forums? Frankly, I'd believe that the Nigerian Space Agency went to the Moon before I take any of your 'expert opinions' at face value. You've shown a propensity to overdramatize everything. I've been to over 50 countries, so I can call a bullshlt 'armchair expert' when I see one.

And yes the U.S. is my adopted country. I'm proud to live in a country that accepts immigrants like Alexandrer Graham Bell, Nikola Tesla and Albert Einstein. America is defined by being a country welcoming to outsiders. And that's a great thing. Don't you agree?

And let me also repeat what I stated in one of the first posts in this thread: Western Canada has very beautiful scenery, Quebec is fascinating and Canada has some fantastic sights. I'll take the high road on this one. You can continue with the first grade "America smells like poopy" comments. They're quite cute in their simplicity.

I'm also going to Victoria, BC next February to visit one of my best friends. So not only are you crude, arrogant and ill-informed, you are EXTREMELY ill-informed. Get a clue my friend

Old 08-26-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
You make a ton of good points...+1. Canada is nice, and at some point I want to hit up Banff, Yoho, and Gros Morne national parks, but they're very low on my list. I must say that flights to Paris are more than $100 more than a flight to Quebec City (Chicago to QC is $893 while Chicago to Paris is $2,000 plus), but you are right with domestic flights and flights to Canada. For example Chicago to Seattle $117 while Chicago to Vancouver is $347. Chicago to NYC is $154 while Chicago to Toronto is $279.
Yeah, from DC you can fly WOW Air to Paris for $400 round-trip. And I've flown from DC to Chicago (my favorite US city) round trip for $75. So if you time it nicely you can do Paris for $475 rt from Chicago. $2,000 can't be right. I've flown Washington to Hong Kong for $700 round-trip. $2,000 is the cost only if you're paying for business class or buying at the very last minute.

I know that Toronto is usually $160 from DC while Chicago is $70. So right there alone are 90 reasons for me to visit Chicago over Toronto. Though I'm a sucker for Deep-Dish pizza. And there's no better place for that than the Windy City.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:41 PM

Zoisite, you falsely claimed yesterday that the USA doesn't care about its environment. That was some really, really bad timing on your part lol

Look what The White House announced today:

Obama Creates the Largest Protected Place on the Planet, in Hawaii; Hawaii Is Now Home to an Ocean Reserve Twice the Size of Texas

Quote:
Capping a week of 100th anniversary celebrations for the National Park Service, President Barack Obama on Friday turned to the ocean to create the largest protected area anywhere on Earth—a half-million-square-mile arc of remote Pacific waters known for both exceptional marine life and importance to native Hawaiian culture.

The Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument, established in 2006 by President George W. Bush, already covered 140,000 square miles of ocean around the uninhabited northwestern islands of Hawaii, Obama’s home state. (Learn about the name and how to pronounce it.)

Obama more than quadrupled Papahānaumokuākea’s size, to 582,578 square miles, an area larger than all the national parks combined. Using his executive authority under the U.S. Antiquities Act, he extended most of the monument’s boundary—and its prohibition of commercial fishing—out to the 200-mile limit of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).(Read about a monument established this week in the Maine woods.)
Hawaii Is Now Home to an Ocean Reserve Twice the Size of Texas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...9a6_story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/us...-on-earth.html

World's Biggest Protected Area is in the USA. This replaces the last recordholder, also in the USA. If this is called bad environmental stewardship, I'd like to hear what counts as being environmentally friendly. Maybe you should redirect your anger at the Alberta Oil Sands or TransCanada, no?

Old 08-27-2016, 02:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

You claim to visit it frequently for road trips, but also state that you've hated every trip. ...... If America smells like shlt and all Americans are fatasses with guns why do you continue to visit? ......

..... not only are you crude, arrogant and ill-informed, you are EXTREMELY ill-informed.....
See, this is just another example of you making up lies and accusations about other people. The above quoted highlighted statements are YOUR claims and your words alone. Nobody else has said any of these things about America. Only you have said them.

Don't you understand that other people know how to read and they know what their own selves and other people have posted? When you tell such transparent lies about other people and claim that they have said things that they didn't say it means that nobody can trust you to be telling any truths about yourself or anything else that you post about.

Mani there is something really wrong with your thinking processes. You have got a very serious problem with jumping to your own bizarre and paranoid conclusions and then telling delusional lies about other people just so that you can see your own words in print online. You really need to get some psychiatric help for yourself about that before somebody litigious minded (or god forbid, physically violent) and close to you in your own real life living environment takes severe exception to your deceptiveness and slanderous lies. Go get yourself some help.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-27-2016 at 02:23 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 07:27 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
See, this is just another example of you making up lies and accusations about other people. The above quoted highlighted statements are YOUR claims and your words alone. Nobody else has said any of these things about America. Only you have said them.

Don't you understand that other people know how to read and they know what their own selves and other people have posted? When you tell such transparent lies about other people and claim that they have said things that they didn't say it means that nobody can trust you to be telling any truths about yourself or anything else that you post about.

Mani there is something really wrong with your thinking processes. You have got a very serious problem with jumping to your own bizarre and paranoid conclusions and then telling delusional lies about other people just so that you can see your own words in print online. You really need to get some psychiatric help for yourself about that before somebody litigious minded (or god forbid, physically violent) and close to you in your own real life living environment takes severe exception to your deceptiveness and slanderous lies. Go get yourself some help.

All his posts regarding Canada are always bull****, I wouldn't even bother responding to his hyperboll.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:07 AM

136 posts, read 129,467 times
Don't be fooled, Quebec does not offer a French experience.

France is very different from Quebec and most French who made it to Quebec usually suffer from culture shock as it feels to them like America but with a funny French accent!

Saying Quebec offers French experience, it's like saying Tijuana offers Barcelona Experience, or Nebraska is a good alternative for those seeking a British experience. Quebec is hardly like France! If you want a real French experience without leaving the western hemisphere, go to the Caribbean to Martinique o Guadeloupe, or to South America to French Guyana which are actual French territories in the Americas, with French system, French law, French architecture, French customs. Quebec is New Jersey with a different language!

Old 08-27-2016, 11:13 AM

136 posts, read 129,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I generally agree with you expect on the Quebec comparison. Quebec offers so much in French culture I highly doubt New Orleans can compare to its level. I have enjoyed my visits to Quebec and Ontario though and am glad I live in a city within a day's drive of them. I also feel like that outside of Montreal and Quebec City, many Canadian cities don't have as well known of a wow factor that similar American ones do get.
Have you ever been to France? Because I am not sure I get the French cultural experience you talk about in Quebec.

France is very different from Quebec and most of the French who make it to Quebec usually suffer from culture shock as it feels to them like America but with a funny French accent!

Saying Quebec offers a French cultural experience, it's like Saying Tijuana offers a unique Madrid experience, or Nebraska is flowing with British culture.

If you want a taste of REAL FRANCE without leaving the Americas, go to South America (French Guyana), or to Martinique and Guadeloupe in the Caribbean. Actual territories of France, with French customs, laws, rules, education, money, French system, French architecture, French way of life. Quebec is New jersey with a different language!

Old 08-27-2016, 11:54 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
Have you ever been to France? Because I am not sure I get the French cultural experience you talk about in Quebec.

France is very different from Quebec and most of the French who make it to Quebec usually suffer from culture shock as it feels to them like America but with a funny French accent!

Saying Quebec offers a French cultural experience, it's like Saying Tijuana offers a unique Madrid experience, or Nebraska is flowing with British culture.

If you want a taste of REAL FRANCE without leaving the Americas, go to South America (French Guyana), or to Martinique and Guadeloupe in the Caribbean. Actual territories of France, with French customs, laws, rules, education, money, French system, French architecture, French way of life. Quebec is New jersey with a different language!
You are so wise Irene. What would we do with out your insight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada