U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:47 PM

5,956 posts, read 7,325,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
Have you ever been to France? Because I am not sure I get the French cultural experience you talk about in Quebec.

France is very different from Quebec and most of the French who make it to Quebec usually suffer from culture shock as it feels to them like America but with a funny French accent!

Saying Quebec offers a French cultural experience, it's like Saying Tijuana offers a unique Madrid experience, or Nebraska is flowing with British culture.

If you want a taste of REAL FRANCE without leaving the Americas, go to South America (French Guyana), or to Martinique and Guadeloupe in the Caribbean. Actual territories of France, with French customs, laws, rules, education, money, French system, French architecture, French way of life. Quebec is New jersey with a different language!
Obviously it's not just like France. My response was to the one who said New Orleans can offer the French flair some are seeking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 03:06 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,109,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
All his posts regarding Canada are always bull****, I wouldn't even bother responding to his hyperboll.
hyperbole*

Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,109,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
Have you ever been to France? Because I am not sure I get the French cultural experience you talk about in Quebec.

France is very different from Quebec and most of the French who make it to Quebec usually suffer from culture shock as it feels to them like America but with a funny French accent!

Saying Quebec offers a French cultural experience, it's like Saying Tijuana offers a unique Madrid experience, or Nebraska is flowing with British culture.

If you want a taste of REAL FRANCE without leaving the Americas, go to South America (French Guyana), or to Martinique and Guadeloupe in the Caribbean. Actual territories of France, with French customs, laws, rules, education, money, French system, French architecture, French way of life. Quebec is New jersey with a different language!
The Quebecois clearly make their French historical roots a defining aspect of their identity. Those in Nebraska don't feel any connection to the UK and neither do those in Tijuana to Barcelona. What separates Quebec from all of its neighbors is a historical and linguistic connection to France that has continued for centuries. Nebraska is not unique in that sense and neither is Tijuana. So clearly for someone who wants to experience French culture, Quebec is a safe bet.

Of course they're not exactly the same. I don't think Americans expect Paris when they visit Quebec City.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:55 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
While there are definitely some French aspects to Quebec, Quebec doesn't even have to be like France in order to be an interesting or at least different place to visit for Americans. Quebec just as itself is definitely a *foreign* place to Americans, not entirely dissimilar to how Mexico is foreign to them as well (though perhaps not so big a socio-economic shock when crossing the border).

Most of the rest of Canada, though it can feel a bit different from the US, is not as obviously foreign to an American as Quebec is.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 PM

78,772 posts, read 70,607,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Canada is the number two travel destination for Americans, Mexico number one. The next most popular destination attracts only about 1/4 of people going to Canada, which is the UK and all other countries trail off significantly after that.
I agree that a lot of Americans visit Canada. Canada has more to offer than some people think. It has fabulous national parks. The BC coast is full of spectacular fjords, and is part of many Inside Passage tours up to Alaska. The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is popular, and the eastern maritime regions are beautiful. Victoria, BC, gets mobbed by American tourists all summer. Some people enjoy going on canoe tours of Canada's waterways.

Don't sell Canada short.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:21 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,935,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
So that is still 4.3 million trips to Canada that are longer than 1 day. So Canada is still ahead of Britain.

Rounding out the top three is Britain, though it lags far behind Mexico and Canada (there were some 2,516,000 trips to Britain in 2014
Actually it's 11.7 overnight trips, not 4.3 million. When you add 7.4 same-day trips you get over 19 million trips by Americans to Canada.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:42 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,677,294 times
One of the best parts of visiting Canada this past summer and what made it feel much different than the US was NO TRUMP BILLBOARDS! No US political signs! The American election not dominating the news! It was a breath of fresh air. I didn't realize how much the 24/7 broadcasts of the US election had infiltrated my daily life until I didn't have it. Canada vacation: 1 US vacation: 0.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:01 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
One of the best parts of visiting Canada this past summer and what made it feel much different than the US was NO TRUMP BILLBOARDS! No US political signs! The American election not dominating the news! It was a breath of fresh air. I didn't realize how much the 24/7 broadcasts of the US election had infiltrated my daily life until I didn't have it. Canada vacation: 1 US vacation: 0.
Funny you should mention the Trump signs. I was in Washington State last month and saw my first one.

It sent a chill down my spine realizing it's not a joke, and that it's real.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:04 PM

1,361 posts, read 548,404 times
I have been to various places in Canada, i.e. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Banff/Jasper,....etc.

Actually I enjoy more of my trips to Canada than to U.S. Mainland (I live in Hawaii). Here are the reasons:

(1) It is cheaper to fly to Vancouver from Honolulu than to L.A., San Francisco, or even Seattle. The Canadian immigration in Vancouver is very efficient as compared to their U.S. counterparts (try enter Honolulu as a foreign national).

(2) Montreal is not very French. But Quebec City has a strong French flavor. Most Americans don't make it that far.

(3) Banff/Jasper make more sense than the national parks in U.S. There are more restaurants and business inside the park. Scenic wise, they triumph over the adjacent Glacier National Park in U.S.

(4) Vancouver has the best Chinese food in North America.

(5) Canadian side has a better angle in viewing the Niagara Fall.

(6) Comparing City to City, Vancouver is safer than Seattle. I wrote another post about the McDonald in downtown Seattle which I had to show the receipt to the manager in order for him to "blip" open the bathroom door.

(7) In general, Canadians are more courteous than Americans. Once I was in a gas station in Canada, I saw a car behind me. I pulled further up front at the pump, the driver came to thank me for making extra room for his car.

(8) There are much less guns in Canada. I don't need to worry about being accidentally shot by stray bullets like in Chicago.

(9) The cruise departing from Vancouver to Alaska is more scenic than the cruise from Seattle because it navigated through the narrow inside passage.

In fact, I am considering buying my second home in Vancouver. The sales agent was 120% more enthusiastic when she greeted me since I am an Asian.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:06 PM

5,956 posts, read 7,325,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Funny you should mention the Trump signs. I was in Washington State last month and saw my first one.

It sent a chill down my spine realizing it's not a joke, and that it's real.
Over the 4th of July weekend I saw a shocking amount of them along the Jersey shore, it was rather surprising for a state that is considered pretty blue for presidential elections (though even the bluest and reddest states have their areas that don't fit the state criteria). I don't even see as many in the rural parts of Western PA which is unfortunately very pro-Trump. It's quite a fall (as a liberal IMO) after being one of the few areas of the US to Reagan didn't win in his elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or