Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 AM

16,829 posts, read 14,969,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Anyone American who passes up Banff National Park because of the tiny hassle you get at the border is really missing out. One of the most spectacular places I've ever seen. Many other worthy destinations as well. And really nice, helpful people.

I found out, while taking the ferry to Alaska, that a whole lot of Americans don't go to or through Canada because they have a minor criminal record. Apparently a 20 year old DWI will give you some big time headaches. It's their prerogative but that seems somewhat unreasonable to me.
Americans can get a criminal record for the most minuscule offenses. I have VERY few friends (even within my professional circle) who have never been to jail, at least for a few hours. It's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 03:31 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Anyone American who passes up Banff National Park because of the tiny hassle you get at the border is really missing out. One of the most spectacular places I've ever seen. Many other worthy destinations as well. And really nice, helpful people.

I found out, while taking the ferry to Alaska, that a whole lot of Americans don't go to or through Canada because they have a minor criminal record. Apparently a 20 year old DWI will give you some big time headaches. It's their prerogative but that seems somewhat unreasonable to me.
That's because in Canada a DWI is a felony ( indictable offence )and not a gross misdemeanour. ( summary offence )

Old 08-31-2016, 03:40 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
What Trump billboards? Where?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:03 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,249,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That's because in Canada a DWI is a felony ( indictable offence )and not a gross misdemeanour. ( summary offence )
It's funny, none of the guys on the ferry I was drinking beer with could believe I'd never got one. Glad for that because as cool as the inside passage was, the drive through Canada coming home was immeasurably better.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
It's funny, none of the guys on the ferry I was drinking beer with could believe I'd never got one. Glad for that because as cool as the inside passage was, the drive through Canada coming home was immeasurably better.
There is a way, apparently lengthy, to get entry into Canada with a DWI. Probably costly too.

I've never had a DWI offence either. They ask me at land crossings into the US, if I've ever been arrested though. Certainly they have that information, so I'm not sure why they ask those of us, who don't have one.

Driving through BC is spectacular in places.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:25 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,249,261 times
Quote:
There is a way, apparently lengthy, to get entry into Canada with a DWI. Probably costly too.
A friend who lives in AK that I visited was telling me his brother, when he drove up to visit, had to get a letter from the Queen. He was being facetious but it sure made me laugh.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
A friend who lives in AK that I visited was telling me his brother, when he drove up to visit, had to get a letter from the Queen. He was being facetious but it sure made me laugh.
LOL. Well it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:27 PM

3,593 posts, read 3,330,269 times
Quote:
Not quite, but you are on the right track.

A DWI (see Criminal Code s. 253) is a hybrid offense, where the prosecutor chooses whether to proceed summarily on on an indictable. For first offenses, the prosecutor will pretty much always choose summary. For repeat offenses, indictable might be chosen. But the prosecution has, and makes, the choice as to how to proceed.

Either choice will leave the accused with a criminal record upon conviction, which is what matters to the CBSA.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

A DWI (see Criminal Code s. 253) is a hybrid offense, where the prosecutor chooses whether to proceed summarily on on an indictable. For first offenses, the prosecutor will pretty much always choose summary. For repeat offenses, indictable might be chosen. But the prosecution has, and makes, the choice as to how to proceed.

Either choice will leave the accused with a criminal record upon conviction, which is what matters to the CBSA.
I knew I shouldn't play lawyer

Welcome back Chevy!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,354,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

And also what matters to the U.S. border agents who ask you "have you ever been arrested?" in this age of database sharing guess what happens if you answer incorrectly to that one?

Getting thrown into cells overnight because you got caught speeding near Piapot Sask in 1962 at night on a souped up Triumph T120 Bonneville with no money for hotel expenses and assessed a $30 dollar fine by a sympathetic 1957 ex-judge-advocate-general member of the RCN does not excuse you from answering 'yes' to that query and once you explain the details and all attendant have a good chuckle; you're on your merry way, but god forbid you lie about that 'arrest' thingy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada