Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 10:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

I think there are a lot of people who never tell their friends or family if they've been convicted of DUI, they try to keep it hidden. It's not usually something to boast about so you might be acquainted with more people than you realize who are keeping their secret under their hats.

It's easy enough to search out information about it online though if one suspects someone of being charged or convicted of DUI in the past because they all usually get reported in the weekly court docket news in local newspapers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 04:39 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
1. Airfare to Canada is incredibly expensive. Really, really expensive.

2. When Americans travel out of the country, they seek places that are a change of pace. Canada is still perceived as being "Minnesota 2.0"

3. Americans don't really think much about their neighbors unfortunately. Mexico's American tourism is all-inclusives to Cancun. Same for Bahamas, Dominican Republic, etc. Few Americans visit Mexico's colonial villages (outside San Miguel de Allende) or Canada. The "star" destinations are still London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, etc. So most Americans who travel in North America go for the beaches of the Caribbean. That's not something Canada can really offer.

4. I think Quebec is most fascinating part of Canada to Americans. Quebec's tourist market with the US is odd though. Those who fancy French culture would rather pay to visit Paris (which is only about $100 more than flying to Quebec City). And those who want to sample French culture without leaving their own culture would probably feel culture shock in Quebec. So they'd go to New Orleans instead.

5. Vancouver is a beautiful city scenically, but it's competing with tons of U.S. cities that also have nearby outdoor activities like Seattle, Portland and Denver. And, again, who will pay $400 to fly to Vancouver when you can reach Seattle or Denver for 1/3rd of the price without the hassle of crossing a border.

6. Toronto has pretty bad branding in the U.S. It's widely acknowledged to be the largest city in Canada. But few people could tell you what's there other than the CN Tower. If you asked the average layman about Toronto, you'd get blank stares. In terms of branding, it's likely fourth in Canada behind 1) Montreal, 2) Vancouver, 3) Quebec City. Those who visit Toronto tend to be from neighboring states like Michigan and Upstate New York. And Michigan + Upstate New York is only 4% of the US population. Outside of that, Toronto has little brand recognition. It might as well be Winnipeg.

7. Canada is cold! (at least that's the perception). And when Canada is not cold, it's summertime. And which American is going to waste their measly summer vacation time visiting Canada in the summer when the alternative is lounging in Hawaii or the Caribbean?

Basically, it boils down to this question: What does Canada offer Americans that they couldn't find in their own country? Outside of Quebec, not much. Couple that with high airfare and there's a reason why most Americans seek local pursuits.

BC = Washington, Oregon, Colorado
Toronto = Chicago, Queens
Ontario = Michigan, Upstate New York
Winnipeg = Omaha
Alberta = Texas, Wyoming, Montana
Northern Territories = Alaska
Atlantic Canada = New England
Prince Edward Island = Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard?
Quebec = New Orleans?
Montreal = French Boston/French Brooklyn
Ottawa = Washington

Basically the U.S. has an equivalent to nearly all of Canada's offerings. So why go through the hassle of crossing the border when you can get the same experience in the U.S?
City-wise, there may be some truth, but I've yet to see enormous mountains, roaring rivers, those stunningly beautiful blue/green lakes, and abundant diverse wildlife anywhere in the US.

People-wise, I think there's a huge difference. People in the US, the UK, Australia, and Canada (plus a few other places) all speak English, but I'm of the opinion that the people, and how they conduct themselves, are distinctly different.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
City-wise, there may be some truth, but I've yet to see enormous mountains, roaring rivers, those stunningly beautiful blue/green lakes, and abundant diverse wildlife anywhere in the US.

People-wise, I think there's a huge difference. People in the US, the UK, Australia, and Canada (plus a few other places) all speak English, but I'm of the opinion that the people, and how they conduct themselves, are distinctly different.
Is this a serious post?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is this a serious post?
Of course it's serious.
Who in their right mind would suggest that because the US and Canada both have cities, and people in those cities who speak English, the countries and peoples are the same?

That's insane!
Canadians are nothing like people in the US.
Obviously Canadians are not politicking about building a wall with the people to the South, but the US people are parading with contradiction about (they are, are not) building the wall with the Mexican. That's 100%US ... Canadians are not like that, eh.

Canada will build the wall to protect against the country to the South and the country to the South will pay for it!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:10 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:

I guess the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Papahānaumokuākea and Zion don't exist.

Fact:
The most enormous/biggest mountain in North America is in the USA
The longest river in North America is in the USA (the Missouri River)
The river with the largest drainage system and flow is in the USA (the Mississippi River)
The U.S. has blue and green lakes, clearly:

The U.S. has more biodiversity than Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megadiverse_countries
This includes deserts, tropical rainforests, warm-water coral reefs and humid subtropical swamps. You can't find these in Canada.

Canada has some stunners like Banff and the Canadian Rockies, but there's nothing natural that Canada offers that cannot be found in the U.S. Frankly, I'm shocked you would insinuate the USA lacks in natural wonders. It's arguably the most biome diverse nation in the world outside China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tional_Forests

Old 09-03-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I guess the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Zion don't exist.

Fact:
The most enormous/biggest mountain in North America is in the USA
The longest river in North America is in the USA (the Missouri River)
The river with the largest drainage system and flow is in the USA (the Mississippi River)
The U.S. has blue and green lakes, clearly:

The U.S. has more biodiversity than Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megadiverse_countries
This includes deserts, tropical rainforests, warm-water coral reefs and humid subtropical swamps. You can't find these in Canada.

Canada has some stunners like Banff and the Canadian Rockies, but there's nothing natural that Canada offers that cannot be found in the U.S. Frankly, I'm shocked you would insinuate the USA lacks in natural wonders. It's arguably the most biome diverse nation in the world outside China.
Yellowstone Park is a toxic dump compared to Canada's thundering waterfalls. Surely that is obvious to people in the US.
Or not ... do people in the US think that sulphur off-gassing is nature?

Of course the US has more biodiversity ... alligators, snakes, scorpions, mosquitos with Zika virus ... that's not what I mean when I mention wildlife.

The most enormous mountains in North America are the Rocky Mountains, the oldest similar mountains are in Switzerland. Comparatively, the US has hills. What is in the US ? ... a volcano near Seattle?

Rivers in the US would be dry were it not for the generosity of Canada. The US has dead lakes and when flying, it's obvious when someone crosses into Canada because the lakes are blue/green ... in a healthy way.

The US can keep their bugs and reptile diversity.
Cockroaches and rats are not a Canadian story, but they are a US/Mexico story.

Last edited by Lieneke; 09-03-2016 at 12:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Of course it's serious.
Who in their right mind would suggest that because the US and Canada both have cities, and people in those cities who speak English, the countries and peoples are the same?

That's insane!
Canadians are nothing like people in the US.
Obviously Canadians are not politicking about building a wall with the people to the South, but the US people are parading with contradiction about (they are, are not) building the wall with the Mexican. That's 100%US ... Canadians are not like that, eh.

Canada will build the wall to protect against the country to the South and the country to the South will pay for it!
You do understand that Donald Trump does not speak for the U.S. or for even the federal government, right? You do understand there are 325,000,000 people in the U.S. and a large majority have a strongly unfavorable view of Donald Trump, right?

Here are the facts: On Immigration Policy, Partisan Differences but Also Some Common Ground | Pew Research Center

Fact #1: 71% of Americans believe immigrants take jobs U.S. citizens do not want
Fact #2: 76% of Americans believe immigrants are as honest and hard working as U.S. citizens
Fact #3: 67% of Americans believe immigrants are no more likely than U.S. citizens to commit crimes
Fact #4: By a 25% margin, Americans oppose Trump's wall proposal
Fact #5: If you take out the far-right Republicans, the numbers are even more stark. 88% of those voting for Hillary oppose the wall. And those voting for Hillary are a strong majority of the electorate.

Also, you also can't compare the millions of economic migrants coming from Mexico and Central America to U.S. illegal immigration to Canada. If the U.S. sent 12 million people into Canada in the spate of one decade, I'm sure Ottawa would have built a wall immediately.

I'm not asking you to set aside your anti-American biases. But I hope you understand that the reality is a lot more complex than "Americans are racists like Donald Trump."

Old 09-03-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Yellowstone Park is a toxic dump compared to Canada's thundering waterfalls. Surely that is obvious to people in the US.
Or not ... do people in the US think that sulphur off-gassing is nature?

Of course the US has more biodiversity ... alligators, snakes, scorpions, mosquitos with Zika virus ... that's not what I mean when I mention wildlife.

The most enormous mountains in North America are the Rocky Mountains, the oldest similar mountains are in Switzerland. Comparatively, the US has hills. The highest peaks of the Rocky Mountains are not in the US, eh. Or are you thinking that Mount Kilimanjaro is in the US?

Rivers in the US would be dry were it not for the generosity of Canada.

The US has dead lakes and when flying, it's obvious when someone crosses into Canada because the lakes are blue/green ... in a healthy way.

The US can keep their bugs and reptile diversity.
Cockroaches are not a Canada story.
Yellowstone National Park was judged by the United Nations to be one of the first UNESCO World Heritage Sites. You don't get that honor without being a place of significant natural value to humanity. And yes, I would say the park is very unique:

Alligators, snakes, scorpions and mosquitos are all biodiversity. But even when you take those out, the U.S. still has more biodiversity. Or is biodiversity only moose and polar bears to you?

The largest mountain in North America is Denali:

It is much taller than even the tallest mountain in the Alps. The Rockies also go through Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. You do realize that, no?

The U.S. has dead lakes? So if I swim in Lake Superior, I won't see any wildlife until the second I cross into Canada, then it magically reappears?

And you'll be shocked to learn that cockroaches exist in Canada as well. Or is there a fantasy forcefield that keeps them within the U.S. border?

Old 09-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Alaska does have some similarities to Canada, perhaps moreso than any other State. People wise, I believe there is quite a difference. Attitudes about guns alone draws a distinctive line between the peoples.

... and I learned something new! Thank you

Old 09-03-2016, 04:18 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Just taking mammals alone, there are almost 500 different species in the US and only about 200 in Canada.

Furthermore, although no one likes mosquitoes, it's absurd to say alligators, snakes and scorpions do not count as wildlife. Even if you personally don't care for reptiles or arthropods, since when do you get to decide what is wildlife?

Quote:
The most enormous mountains in North America are the Rocky Mountains, the oldest similar mountains are in Switzerland. Comparatively, the US has hills. What is in the US ? ... a volcano near Seattle?

Rivers in the US would be dry were it not for the generosity of Canada. The US has dead lakes and when flying, it's obvious when someone crosses into Canada because the lakes are blue/green ... in a healthy way.
I haven't been to the Rocky Mountains, but I have spent lots of time backpacking in the High Sierra in California. In fact, the mountains there are higher than the Canadian Rockies at 13,000 to 14,000 feet high. The lakes and streams are pristine and full of fish, and I'm pretty sure that water does not come from Canada. There is all kinds of wildlife. You sound like someone who has either never been to the US, or has not ventured out of the urban areas. Or just has a monomania that Canada is the best country in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada