Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 06:04 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Of course it's serious.
Who in their right mind would suggest that because the US and Canada both have cities, and people in those cities who speak English, the countries and peoples are the same?

That's insane!
Canadians are nothing like people in the US.
Obviously Canadians are not politicking about building a wall with the people to the South, but the US people are parading with contradiction about (they are, are not) building the wall with the Mexican. That's 100%US ... Canadians are not like that, eh.

Canada will build the wall to protect against the country to the South and the country to the South will pay for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Curious as to how much of Canada you have seen?
Much of Ontario (Windsor, Sarnia, Toronto, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls - and these are just places I spent more than a couple of nights at)

Montreal, Quebec City

Ottawa (no offense, but I found it quite boring)

I never made it to the West provinces or Newfoundland / New Brunswick - this is certainly on my list.

However, I still think Canada is too much like the US - sure, it has great beauty, and quaint little towns, and wilderness, but so does the US. I want to go to Vancouver and Halifax, but I also want to go to Yellowstone and Seattle and Rhode Island. It's just not "other world" different if you know what I mean. It's no China or India. I never felt abroad in Canada, except may be during my first trip to Quebec (and even then, by the end of that trip I started to see all those little similarities telling me I was still in North America, just with a slightly different flair - and I am not talking the nature). I mean no offence, I really love Canada - but I just don't have the same feeling I get when visiting Prague or Mexico City. It's like I am visiting with a close, familiar, just a little bit eccentric relative.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 09-09-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
We probably don't go to Canada for the same reason we mostly travel in the South and west. It's cold up there.

Look at this map of timeshares being rented when people aren't using them.

www.extraholidays.com

Old 09-10-2016, 07:11 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
NCN.

I guess that you missed the fact that quite a few US States are ALSO cold, for a part of each year...

Lets count them shall we .... Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Washington, and of course, Alaska.

And for a final point, here in Toronto today, the high temperature will be......28 Celsius or 82 F.

Not very cold is that ?

Jim b.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:53 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We probably don't go to Canada for the same reason we mostly travel in the South and west. It's cold up there.

Look at this map of timeshares being rented when people aren't using them.

www.extraholidays.com
Yes, cold all year round and we live in igloos

Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
I really don't get why some people think Canada is so cold. Southern Onatrio's weather is pretty much the same as other Northeastern and Great Lake cities, the Maritimes miss a lot of the extreme cold that many Midwestern U.S. cities get due to the oceanic influence and also have some beautiful summers, and Vancouver/Victoria winters are more comparable to Washington D.C. in snowfall than any other city in Canada. The only populated parts of Canada I consider too cold is the Prairies and Quebec City. I don't get how people voluntarily live in Winnipeg and Sask during the winter!

Old 09-10-2016, 01:43 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
How do you find the Americans' legal system to be different?

Outside of the fact that individual states in the US are in charge of their own criminal law, while in Canada, criminal law is a federal responsibility, what's different?

Both the US and Canada follow a common-law tradition, like the UK, Australia, India, Ireland, and others. Sure, we each have one jurisdiction that follows civil law (Quebec and Louisiana), but legally-speaking, we're more alike than different. An American lawyer has the same education as a Canadian lawyer (Langdellian system of legal education), and like a Canadian lawyer, knows the contra proferentem rule, knows the five elements of contract, knows the Plain View Doctrine, knows the Rule Against Perpetuities, and so on and so on. Courtroom procedures are pretty much the same, arguments are made on the basis of stare decisis, and decisions are made accordingly.

So what's different?
In Canada, similar to the EU, the prosecution can appeal a verdict. In the US, there's something called double jeopardy that prevents the prosecution from appealing a conviction even if new evidence comes to light that confirms guilt. That, in itself, is a significant difference. In Canada and the EU, capital punishment is viewed as barbaric, and prison systems are premised on rehabilitation. In the US, capital punishment is viewed as reasonable, and prison systems are premised on punishment. In Canada, children are not sentenced to life in prison. In the US, children are sentence to life without parole.

Although there may be similar origins for law in the US, Canada and the EU, the US has taken a different road than Canada and the EU.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:54 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Main difference is HOW our System does NOT allow informations to be media wise exposed to the Public.. ala "Sunshine Laws" Our system actually silences any comment on evidence or any facts to the public outside of generalizations.. Victim's are NOT re-victimized..and the same for the accused . The media is in affect "Muzzled"..and only during a trial AFTER testimony in trial can any evidence get exposed to the public. This alone describes one HuuuuGE difference

.. But Bru~~ I fail to see how this subtopic has anything to do with American's OP suggest are NOT travelling to Canada..

Course discounting cross boarder travel to shop isn't considered ..LOL then of course Online Pharmaceutical purchases for meds ( since we have controls of pricing on Pharmaceutical Corporations) happening daily+++

So why bother travel to Canada
True. In the US, trial evidence is published and widely discussed prior to a trial. In Canada, as in the UK, evidence is not released until the trial. Additionally, Canadian law prohibits jurors from talking about their deliberations. In the US, it is rare for jurors to not describe the whole experience to television cameras.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Much of Ontario (Windsor, Sarnia, Toronto, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls - and these are just places I spent more than a couple of nights at)

Montreal, Quebec City

Ottawa (no offense, but I found it quite boring)

I never made it to the West provinces or Newfoundland / New Brunswick - this is certainly on my list.

However, I still think Canada is too much like the US - sure, it has great beauty, and quaint little towns, and wilderness, but so does the US. I want to go to Vancouver and Halifax, but I also want to go to Yellowstone and Seattle and Rhode Island. It's just not "other world" different if you know what I mean. It's no China or India. I never felt abroad in Canada, except may be during my first trip to Quebec (and even then, by the end of that trip I started to see all those little similarities telling me I was still in North America, just with a slightly different flair - and I am not talking the nature). I mean no offence, I really love Canada - but I just don't have the same feeling I get when visiting Prague or Mexico City. It's like I am visiting with a close, familiar, just a little bit eccentric relative.
I get that. I'd rather be on a beach in Mexico than SoCal.

At least you've been to Canada and seem to have an interest to see more. I'd think you would like Vancouver and a lot of B.C.

That said, my travel in Canada is lacking the maritime provinces as well. As people have pointed out, it's cheaper or the same cost for me to get there than it is to get to Europe.

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-10-2016 at 03:03 PM..

Old 09-10-2016, 09:45 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I get that. I'd rather be on a beach in Mexico than SoCal.

At least you've been to Canada and seem to have an interest to see more. I'd think you would like Vancouver and a lot of B.C.

That said, my travel in Canada is lacking the maritime provinces as well. As people have pointed out, it's cheaper or the same cost for me to get there than it is to get to Europe.
I'd most likely like Vancouver. I guess what I wanted to say is, a trip to Vancouver and a trip to Seattle would be on the same level for me. Very interesting, but very familiar territory if you know what I mean. A trip to Vienna, OTOH, a whole different experience.

I mean, in all my visits to Canada, I never really felt abroad. Same language, same customs, same building types, same cars, same road scenery, same food, very similar mentality. Yes there are differences, but they are not the other world differences. In some ways, there's probably more in common between me and someone in London ON, than some dude in deep rural South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada