Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 38,395 times

Advertisements

I need Help, I am a USA Immigrant (Filipino Citizen) And I want to marry my girlfriend in Vancouver Canada, Does anybody know how and what is the procedure and what paper is needed. THANKS for the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children

Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
What do you mean sponsoring? we have no children....

Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
forget the "and dependent children" part.
You are the spouse. She is the sponsor.

It's a 2 step process..
Step 1. Get married. (no immigration paperwork involved in that part) Look to see what you need to do as far as getting a marriage license in the jurisdiction you will be married in.

Step 2. Begin immigration process. Click on the link and read.. Every part of the process is explained

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
forget the "and dependent children" part.
You are the spouse. She is the sponsor.

It's a 2 step process..
Step 1. Get married. (no immigration paperwork involved in that part) Look to see what you need to do as far as getting a marriage license in the jurisdiction you will be married in.

Step 2. Begin immigration process. Click on the link and read.. Every part of the process is explained

Is it true that i can be a canadian citizen if i marry a canadian citizen?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopoknat View Post
Is it true that i can be a canadian citizen if i marry a canadian citizen?

No.

Marrying a Canadian citizen does not guarantee you the right to become a Canadian citizen.

Read through the the pages at the link provided by the other member; the official answers to many of your questions are located on that site.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
No.

Marrying a Canadian citizen does not guarantee you the right to become a Canadian citizen.

Read through the the pages at the link provided by the other member; the official answers to many of your questions are located on that site.

Thanks Cornerguy
But my problem is.. I am a Permanent Resident (green card holder) here in U.S and currently a Filipino Citizen, and we want to marry ASAP, What is your best advice for me? (besides consulting a lawyer)

Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Thanks Cornerguy
But my problem is.. I am a Permanent Resident (green card holder) here in U.S and currently a Filipino Citizen, and we want to marry ASAP, What is your best advice for me? (besides consulting a lawyer)

My best advice is to visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site at:

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

and thoroughly read through those sections which apply to your specific situation.

Before you proceed with marriage and make plans for the rest of your lives, you both need to know what sort of process is required in order to meet your goals.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:57 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,058 times
Quote:
Thanks Cornerguy
Please be advised, if you marry your Canadian girlfriend and decide to move to Canada with her, you will likely lose your Permanent Resident status here in the US. The only way to maintain your US residence in this situation is to travel back and forth and not stay in Canada for any long period of time (say no more than 3 months each time you visit).

You have to decide which citizenship would be more important to you: US or Canadian? If you marry her now and file for Canadian residence you will have to live in Canada to fulfill the requirements. You cannot be a permanent resident of Canada and America at the same time. Please also note that you will have to become a permanent resident of Canada before you can become a Canadian citizen.

My advice to you would be to wait until you become a US citizen before you go ahead with this. Then you can move around and live anywhere freely without the worry of losing your American residence. You can be a dual citizen of Canada and the United States eventually (that's something that I also dream of). However doing this while only a permanent resident of the US will not work as there are strict immigration laws that you have to follow to maintain your resident status.

On the other hand, if you want to forego becoming an American Citizen and just go for the Canadian citizenship, you can always roll the dice. The first step would be to marry her and then she could file for you as your spouse as outlined in the link above and then you could move to Canada to live with her as a permanent resident of Canada. After obtaining permanent resident status in Canada, you can then apply for Canadian citizenship after a certain time... it's the same process you would normally go through here in the U.S.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you've been a landed immigrant to the USA for 5 years go and become an American citizen like NewYorkGuy suggests that way if things dont work out in Canada you will have no trouble moving back to the USA and maybe you can sponsor your wife to move to the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada