U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:51 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,044,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Any Atlantic province fits your description - except for the "thriving job market".
Thunderstorms are uncommon there too, except in northern New Brunswick.

If you substitute the shores near Lake Ontario, instead of the ocean coasts, you could find some small cities that meet most of the other criteria. Consider: Kingston, Cobourg, Port Granby, Port Hope, maybe Oshawa, or anywhere around the Prince Edward Peninsula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 3,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
I think you are looking for utopia.

1) Average age 45+ : kind of a geriatric community

2) Good job market - maybe about nursing and care giving for older population. Are you into it ?

3) Mild climate and near the coast - west coast

4) Affordability - sorry, but west coast is probably the most expensive

5) Good job market: small city and good job market don't really walk together

6) Diversity - immigrants usually flock to the big cities (mostly because of the lack of jobs in smaller places)...

7) Rains and thunderstorms in the summer - that is really funny. Maybe you should consider Phuket, Thailand - though not in Canada, but mild climate, torrential rains and thunderstorms in the summer, near the coast, average age 45+ (a lot of older expats), diversity (a lot of younger thai girls to accommodate the aging foreign population ), liberal - sure

Seriously, I wonder why you didn't move to some place in Oregon or Washington...
Utopia--yes, basically!!

Old 09-03-2016, 11:38 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Well if Utopia is what you are after,have fun=
Welcome to Utopia, Ontario

Old 09-03-2016, 12:46 PM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eologic View Post
I looked into Victoria a while back and it looks attractive and it matches a lot of my criteria except the pop is slightly high. Are there any decent peripheral smaller towns? I would certainly settle for something like that. Windsor looks promising, although I drove through the edge of it once and it seemed pretty gritty, but of course that's insufficient evidence to declare the city as a whole gritty. I also got monstrous food poisoning there but now I'm just going off-topic. Anyhow this is all me fantasizing. in the end I'll probably just live wherever I find a decent job in my field.
What is your field of work?

Old 09-04-2016, 06:20 AM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,492,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eologic View Post
I recently immigrated to Canada from the states. I love it here in Canada but want to move away from the major city I currently live in. I have very little Canadian travel experience so I have no idea where I would be better suited. If you know of an area that has what I'm looking for, I'd love to hear about it. Here is my criteria:

Must haves:
* Population under 250k. (My current city's population is ~500k with a high pop density and I feel claustrophobic.) If a small town, I'd like to be within 25km of a city
* High average age, at least 45. No college towns.
* "Nice" climate. My definition of a perfect climate is lots of rainfall and thunderstorms (especially in Summer) and minimal to no snow and freezing temps (minimal in the Canadian context....)
* Plenty of outdoor recreational attractions within or close by, e.g. public parks and hiking trails.
* The standard things everyone wants: easy access to health care and jobs, low crime rate, a thriving and happy community in general
* Medium/low/affordable cost of living, including real estate

Nice-to-haves but not required:
* Near a coast
* Beautiful scenery
* Ethnically diverse population
* Liberal mindset
* Public transportation
Burlington, Ontario ...where I live, checks most of your boxes.

Population: 180,000

Lot's of older people, especially near the Lake, upscale seniors residences.

Nice climate, after BC, about as good as Canada gets, Burlington highs average 1C warmer
every month than Toronto, not quite Windsor but close, average July high is 28C / January 0C
Southern Ontario has the most thunderstorms in Canada but no where near like places in USA,
west coast has the least, both for Canada and USA.

Minimal snow, BC coast is best for that, Burlington averages 100 cm / 39 inches,
Oakville next door, only 31 inches, lower than both Toronto and Windsor.

Parks, hiking trails, yes got that covered. The Bruce Trail goes thru Burlington,
On top of the Niagara Escarpment, Mt. Nemo Conservation Area.

Access to Healthcare, Brant Hospital is currently undergoing a 100 million dollar expansion.
Jobs....lots of industrial zoned areas along QEW.
Cost of living / real estate....cheaper than Toronto but still expensive,
Nearby Hamilton is better in that regard, Windsor even better.

Near a coast.....well we have Lake Ontario, Spencer Smith Park along the shoreline downtown
is great, we even have a sandy beach area.
Ethnically diverse....yes, pretty much, it's no Mississauga but getting there.
Public transportation....Burlington Transit is very good, also The Go Train gets you to Toronto fast.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:59 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Windsor's population is 319,246 though. And Victoria's is 344,630. So a little bigger than OP would like. These are the metro populations.

That's why I said the city proper. Windsor's "metro" counts basically the entire northern half of Essex county.
Windsor, Tecumseh, Amherstburg, and Lakeshore.

All farm land with a couple little towns in it. Kinda hard to see the grey representing the populated areas. And even the big southern portion of Windsor on that map is airport/industry/farm land.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:25 PM

873 posts, read 813,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
That's why I said the city proper. Windsor's "metro" counts basically the entire northern half of Essex county.
Windsor, Tecumseh, Amherstburg, and Lakeshore.

All farm land with a couple little towns in it. Kinda hard to see the grey representing the populated areas. And even the big southern portion of Windsor on that map is airport/industry/farm land.

The metropolitan area is more important when considering population. Everyone from those areas probably travels to work in Windsor. Generally when people think population, they think of the city's metro area.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:53 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
The metropolitan area is more important when considering population. Everyone from those areas probably travels to work in Windsor. Generally when people think population, they think of the city's metro area.

Yeah, I guess you're right there. lol

Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 AM

8,576 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Nanaimo/Courtney/Comox/Campbell River/Port Alberni/Port Hardy/Prince Rupert B.C.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 3,645 times
Parts in the east coast look promising what with the small, old populations. Thanks everyone for your help and responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or