U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 3,650 times

Advertisements

I recently immigrated to Canada from the states. I love it here in Canada but want to move away from the major city I currently live in. I have very little Canadian travel experience so I have no idea where I would be better suited. If you know of an area that has what I'm looking for, I'd love to hear about it. Here is my criteria:

Must haves:
* Population under 250k. (My current city's population is ~500k with a high pop density and I feel claustrophobic.) If a small town, I'd like to be within 25km of a city
* High average age, at least 45. No college towns.
* "Nice" climate. My definition of a perfect climate is lots of rainfall and thunderstorms (especially in Summer) and minimal to no snow and freezing temps (minimal in the Canadian context....)
* Plenty of outdoor recreational attractions within or close by, e.g. public parks and hiking trails.
* The standard things everyone wants: easy access to health care and jobs, low crime rate, a thriving and happy community in general
* Medium/low/affordable cost of living, including real estate

Nice-to-haves but not required:
* Near a coast
* Beautiful scenery
* Ethnically diverse population
* Liberal mindset
* Public transportation

Last edited by eologic; 09-02-2016 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Added more criteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 07:11 PM

34,442 posts, read 41,547,959 times
Victoria BC might meet your requirements.=
Victoria BC | Things to Do, Events, Hotels | Tourism Victoria

Old 09-02-2016, 09:14 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,127,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Victoria BC might meet your requirements.=
Victoria BC | Things to Do, Events, Hotels | Tourism Victoria
Yes it might however you will rarely if ever get a thunderstorm there.

Drizzle or rain pretty much for 7-8 months. I never once saw a full moon when I lived there due to low cloud cover.

I wouldn't say it's a great place for jobs, or fits this requirement you have "medium/low/affordable cost of living, including real estate" and that's because it is the only place in Canada that meets your requirements and many others have figured that out too.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:33 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,179,926 times
Windsor is the thunderstorm capital of Canada. (we just had a tornado rip through the city.......but ignore that lol)
208K people in the city proper
Median age is 36
Average 51 inches of snow per year
Hot humid summers
Parks and trails map
http://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/.../Trail-Map.pdf
4 most diverse city in Canada. 20% born outside the country.
In the heart of the Great Lakes
Jobs........meh
Public transit......meh
Liberal? I think so.
Pretty low crime rate.
Detroit is a 5 minute drive across the river. Downtown Detroit is fantastic, despite what people say.

I dunno. Give'er a look. I love it here.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 PM

30,895 posts, read 31,799,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Yes it might however you will rarely if ever get a thunderstorm there.

Drizzle or rain pretty much for 7-8 months. I never once saw a full moon when I lived there due to low cloud cover.

I wouldn't say it's a great place for jobs, or fits this requirement you have "medium/low/affordable cost of living, including real estate" and that's because it is the only place in Canada that meets your requirements and many others have figured that out too.
If you really lived in Victoria, I'd like to know when, because I've lived here since 1991 and have never experienced the climate as you have described it....You are right about the lack of thunderstorms though, but we also do not get hurricanes or tornadoes.

With 2,193 hours of bright sunshine annually during the last available measurement period, Victoria was the second sunniest city in British Columbia after Cranbrook. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor...lumbia#Climate

Old 09-03-2016, 12:17 AM

873 posts, read 816,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Windsor is the thunderstorm capital of Canada. (we just had a tornado rip through the city.......but ignore that lol)
208K people in the city proper
Median age is 36
Average 51 inches of snow per year
Hot humid summers
Parks and trails map
http://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/.../Trail-Map.pdf
4 most diverse city in Canada. 20% born outside the country.
In the heart of the Great Lakes
Jobs........meh
Public transit......meh
Liberal? I think so.
Pretty low crime rate.
Detroit is a 5 minute drive across the river. Downtown Detroit is fantastic, despite what people say.

I dunno. Give'er a look. I love it here.
Windsor's population is 319,246 though. And Victoria's is 344,630. So a little bigger than OP would like. These are the metro populations.

Last edited by GM10; 09-03-2016 at 01:08 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 12:46 AM

5 posts, read 3,650 times
I looked into Victoria a while back and it looks attractive and it matches a lot of my criteria except the pop is slightly high. Are there any decent peripheral smaller towns? I would certainly settle for something like that. Windsor looks promising, although I drove through the edge of it once and it seemed pretty gritty, but of course that's insufficient evidence to declare the city as a whole gritty. I also got monstrous food poisoning there but now I'm just going off-topic. Anyhow this is all me fantasizing. in the end I'll probably just live wherever I find a decent job in my field.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:03 AM

293 posts, read 162,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eologic View Post
I looked into Victoria a while back and it looks attractive and it matches a lot of my criteria except the pop is slightly high. Are there any decent peripheral smaller towns? I would certainly settle for something like that. Windsor looks promising, although I drove through the edge of it once and it seemed pretty gritty, but of course that's insufficient evidence to declare the city as a whole gritty. I also got monstrous food poisoning there but now I'm just going off-topic. Anyhow this is all me fantasizing. in the end I'll probably just live wherever I find a decent job in my field.
I think you are looking for utopia.

1) Average age 45+ : kind of a geriatric community

2) Good job market - maybe about nursing and care giving for older population. Are you into it ?

3) Mild climate and near the coast - west coast

4) Affordability - sorry, but west coast is probably the most expensive

5) Good job market: small city and good job market don't really walk together

6) Diversity - immigrants usually flock to the big cities (mostly because of the lack of jobs in smaller places)...

7) Rains and thunderstorms in the summer - that is really funny. Maybe you should consider Phuket, Thailand - though not in Canada, but mild climate, torrential rains and thunderstorms in the summer, near the coast, average age 45+ (a lot of older expats), diversity (a lot of younger thai girls to accommodate the aging foreign population ), liberal - sure

Seriously, I wonder why you didn't move to some place in Oregon or Washington...

Old 09-03-2016, 05:44 AM

34,442 posts, read 41,547,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eologic View Post
The smaller the city the less opportunity for jobs, other towns to look into would be Duncan,Nanaimo, Squamish.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:32 AM

4,249 posts, read 8,148,882 times
Any Atlantic province fits your description - except for the "thriving job market".

The ocean tempers the winters down, which become wet - or wet-snow winters. Really cold days maybe 3-4 weeks. Summers are also tempered down and are pleasantly warm, without heat waves as they are known inland. I am talking about coastal towns. Of course, deep inland in New Brunswick the climate becomes harsher.

In Nova Scotia, for example, towns are mostly on the coast. Population there is older and under 10,000 people. If something bigger is needed, it would be Halifax - 300,000 people. Raw nature is close to reach, some are provincial or national parks, but really the raw coast with its raw beauty is everywhere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...in_Nova_Scotia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._New_Brunswick

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._Edward_Island

They are graying provinces, where the young leave and the slice of retirees becomes larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or