U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:55 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,277,280 times

Advertisements

Is this a joke?

I grew up with a parent in a wheelchair. We never really had issues outside the occasional too-narrow aisles in tiny shops or waiting for a non-disabled person to finish in the handicap stall. You know there aren't 300 million here right? And I'm willing to bet our ratio of physical disabilities is lower with universal healthcare and lower obesity rates.

I have a disabled child in the province of Alberta. We receive $50,000 in funding per year to his therapy services. The vast majority of others receive a similar assistance. He went from nonverbal Autism to moderately-high functioning and I am proud to say, has outgrown services which we voluntarily discontinued from now. So, get off your high horse and look at the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 03:07 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I disagree with saying that Canada comes even close to concerns about accessibility on the same scale as the United States.

As for Forest Service campgrounds in the United States there is NO comparison. I retired from a 40 year career in Forestry with 25 of those years managing recreation facilities on National Forest land.

It is tough to provide handicapped access on many wildlands. At least the United States tries. I could NOT buy or site a toilet that was not accessible for the last 20 years of my career. In Canada, I saw ONE, imported handicapped toilet from the states.

Here is something for you try. Remember we will ALL be disabled sometimes in our lives. I was disabled for three months with a broken ankle and two years when my daughter was in a stroller.

Go to a Canadian campground or city. Get a pair of crutches, put your ankle in a "boot" and live it. It will change your perspective.

In 1968, at my new college campus I made a comment to an instructor that there were many "handicapped" people on campus and he noted that it was the first college campus in California built to be fully accessible. The only people that noticed were those that needed the access. That's good design.

For someone to build a major facility like Liard Hot Springs and NOT provide for access is criminal in my eyes.

Canada is a rich country. It needs to quit being defensive about its shortcomings and respect the UN Charter on providng access to its citizens.
Did you see the link of accessibility in parks that I posted? Also there IS access at Liard Hot Springs, just not INTO the springs themselves. Could be a reason for that.

I agree that having a broken ankle in a boot gives one a different perspective, but I'm not sure that is a good comparison. Anyone limping along is going to have some issues even with ramps, etc.
Wheelchair access is a better way to judge IMO and services for the blind and the deaf as well.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:41 AM
509 509 started this thread

2,976 posts, read 4,081,098 times
For a facility to a hot springs to provide a accessible path, but NOT access to the hot springs is worst than stupid. It is insensitive and mocking of peoples disabilities.

Good design lets all people with different physical restrictions access facilities to the greatest extent possible. BTW the "accessible" path to Liard Hot Springs is very dangerous for the blind, even though it is fine for wheelchair access to a hot springs that people in wheelchairs cannot use.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
For a facility to a hot springs to provide a accessible path, but NOT access to the hot springs is worst than stupid. It is insensitive and mocking of peoples disabilities.

Good design lets all people with different physical restrictions access facilities to the greatest extent possible. BTW the "accessible" path to Liard Hot Springs is very dangerous for the blind, even though it is fine for wheelchair access to a hot springs that people in wheelchairs cannot use.
Mocking people with disabilities? That's rather over the top.

Without knowing the parks budget and not knowing the logistics of getting access into the springs, I wouldn't start such excessive name calling.

But back to the OP's question about accessibility laws. Yes the exist. Yes Canada has very good access compared to many places and yes of course more can be done...but just like more can be done south of us as well.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:19 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,288,627 times
Quote:

When I was at Liard it was simply in a semi primitive state, is it now fully developed? It used to be a sort of boardwalk over the bog and then a dock with a changing room and that was it.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:05 PM

7,226 posts, read 6,579,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
When I was at Liard it was simply in a semi primitive state, is it now fully developed? It used to be a sort of boardwalk over the bog and then a dock with a changing room and that was it.
It's still semi-primitive.

Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park - BC Parks

Quote:

....... There is a hot spring open to the public called Alpha pool with water temperatures ranging from 42 C to 52 C. Facilities include a change house and composting toilet. A boardwalk, which leads to the hot spring pools, passes through a warm water swamp and boreal forest that supports rich and diverse plant communities as well as mammal and bird species. Visitors are asked to stay on the boardwalk at all times in this area so as not to disturb the sensitive habitat......
Photo courtesy of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A...h_Columbia.JPG

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada