U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,070,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
You could always come down to Australia and face the heat.
I rather take the heat than the ice.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 04:01 AM

597 posts, read 352,498 times
And it is finally lovely in Sydney, just to possibly make you jealous. Was about 27 today, no aircon needed at home, sunny! Next eight days will be sunny but a little warmer. Actually we could do with some decent rain.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 PM

17 posts, read 7,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
And it is finally lovely in Sydney, just to possibly make you jealous. Was about 27 today, no aircon needed at home, sunny! Next eight days will be sunny but a little warmer. Actually we could do with some decent rain.
Never been to Australia, but it must be an interesting experience to have Summer and Winter seasons being in a different period of the year compared to other part of the world. Not sure if I could get used to it if I were living there.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:23 PM

244 posts, read 216,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleder View Post
Thanks everyone! Just an update I've visited each city this year for interviews and I was impressed with Vancouver and Montreal. I feel more comfortable with the idea of learning French during residency now. Felt Calgary was nice but definitely the downtown seemed more empty. Ottawa was nice as well, particularly Byward market but not as densely populated as I would like most likely.

New ranking for me I believe from a city point of view (did not interview in Winnipeg): Vancouver > Toronto > Montreal >> Ottawa > Calgary > Edmonton > Hamilton > London > Halifax > Saskatoon
This is a rare thread where we actually get to see an update from the OP, so a big to that. It looks like you're still in the decision-making phase. I'm close with a number of people who have recently graduated from, or are still at the tail end of their medical studies, and the ones I know live in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and Ottawa. I've personally visited all of the cities on your list except Saskatoon and Hamilton, and am quite familiar with your top six choices, so I'll offer my (long) take. It's a public holiday in BC and I'm bored.

Liveliness
Toronto and Montreal by a wide margin, I've been out at random times of the night in both cities and was not bored. TO especially: It's just on another scale by Canadian standards and is truly a world-class city despite what the rest of Canada thinks. There's so much vibrancy and buzz at all hours of the day you won't be bored. My friends who live in Montreal really like it there; I can see the culture and charm, but I would hesitate (with your background, IMO) to commit up to 9 years there. I found it very different from other parts of Canada.

Vancouver isn't known for its nightlife. It's not a top choice if you're young, single and looking to party. However what might play into your favor is that you are east Asian. If you speak Mandarin and have friends, Richmond has a fairly vibrant night scene mostly consisting of karaoke, pool and late night snacks (don't forget the daily evening auto show; it can rival the new york international auto show and I'm not even joking). It's a fairly insular culture though and not the friendliest to outsiders. That said, Vancouver is an excellent access point to nature, from the Sunshine Coast to Tofino, the Gulf Islands and the Okanagan.

Ottawa is actually decent I found, but a step below the top three cities. Byward market has some life to it at night, and I see people on the streets in the evenings. There's a mass exodus at 6PM in Calgary during the workweek the the downtown core dies. You'd have to squint pretty hard to find a decent nightlife outside of the University or just going to friends houses. It's even worse in Edmonton. Jasper and Banff are nice, but not as diverse or interesting as southwestern BC IMO.

The rest of the cities are not going to compete in this category.

Crime
I don't think crime is a major issue in any of the cities you had listed compared to other parts of the world, any more than taking the usual precautions.

East Asian food/culture/people
Vancouver - or moreso, Richmond is basically the mecca of Chinese food, particularly Cantonese but ever moreso other parts of China as well with an influx of immigrants from the mainland. It isn't your old San Fran Chinatown either; it's vibrant, modern, heavily developer-oriented with new condos popping up every few months, but terribly planned out with obscene traffic throughout the week.

The Asian population in Toronto is similarly as large, but not quite as dense as in Vancouver. I know of Asians in Montreal, but I don't believe that is a strong subset of the population, nor would their cultural influence be keenly felt and accessible. I can say Calgary has acceptable Asian food, but there will basically be one decent choice of every category, unlike in Vancouver and Toronto where every sub-sub cuisine has a dozen options jockeying for #1 on Yelp. There is a sizeable Asian population in Calgary as well.

There are pockets of Asian communities in Ottawa, Edmonton, London & Hamilton but very insignificant representation. I think it's more or less nonexistent in Halifax and Saskatoon.

People
Toronto will be the most business-oriented, home of the TSX and Bay Street... it will be most similar to those East Coast major US cities that are often featured in film. Vancouver's business is in real estate and development, but is more laid back and casual overall (though, people are more on-edge due to house pricing). I've never had a chance to work in Montreal because I am not bilingual; I feel the corporate world there is also vibrant but may be shut-out to people who do not speak the language. Calgary actually has a fairly high density of white-collar professionals for its size - the oil crash has hurt, but will recover and I've no doubt it will continue to be the capital of Canadian resource development companies. Ottawa has some infrastructure development in recent years, but you're going to be seeing civil servants and politicians, not corporate execs there. Halifax is the hub of the Atlantic provinces and, for its size, is a pretty powerful and influential city in that part of the country... but fairly irrelevant outside of it.

Weather
Warmer weather? Dislike hot summers? Don't mind rain? Seems obvious Vancouver was hand-picked for these weather categories. This would be Vancouver >>>> Halifax > Toronto >= Hamilton > London > Montreal > Ottawa > Calgary > Edmonton > Saskatoon

Size
The list of CMAs by population should help you out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Canada

Cost of living is a big deal to making choices as to where to live. If you remove that factor entirely, there are some cities that are honestly non-starters (outside of family living there and unwilling to relocate). And vise-versa, if that factor becomes keenly important to you, certain cities are non-viable for living.

Going by your ranking (Vancouver > Toronto > Montreal >> Ottawa > Calgary > Edmonton > Hamilton > London > Halifax > Saskatoon):

I think Vancouver is clearly the best choice based on your criteria outlined for climate, Asian culture and food, proximity to many natural getaways and lack of concern for cost of living. Toronto is the second choice as it's just massive, on another scale for things to do and the heart of Canada's corporate world. Hamilton is close enough to TO that it should really jump up your list to as high as #3 as you can make the commute once a weekend for activities; you'd be too busy during the weekdays to enjoy the night anyway. Montreal as a very distant third solely for the different culture, but if you can afford to and are accepted to the specialty program in Vancouver and Toronto, I don't see a particular reason to invest 5-9 years there for you... you can always visit on a vacation someday.

Go to Ottawa for a high-ranking government position and if you know French; not for med school (my friends are there only because they got accepted into the program they wanted from U of Ottawa only; they would've picked any of the above three or even Calgary instead).

Calgary can be considered, but I did not enjoy living there and I have basically the same life criteria as you did. I considered it a downgrade from Vancouver in virtually every category other than affordability, cost of living and resource sector jobs. I thought there wasn't even a med program at U of C though? I've had friends go to Edmonton (U of A) for med school. It's colder, less accessible, less white collar and fewer interesting things to do than Calgary, and the mall is horrible. That said, a city is what you make of it and you can save a lot of money there.

Personally I'd pick Halifax over Edmonton, probably in a tie with Ottawa and Calgary, if you don't mind wind and rain as the Maritimes at least have some pretty interesting and diverse natural sights and cute towns in the region. No reason at all to go to London (too far from a major city, small and quaint) or Saskatoon (all of the above + arctic madness) in your situation.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 AM

9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
This is a rare thread where we actually get to see an update from the OP, so a big to that. It looks like you're still in the decision-making phase. I'm close with a number of people who have recently graduated from, or are still at the tail end of their medical studies, and the ones I know live in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and Ottawa. I've personally visited all of the cities on your list except Saskatoon and Hamilton, and am quite familiar with your top six choices, so I'll offer my (long) take. It's a public holiday in BC and I'm bored.

Liveliness
Toronto and Montreal by a wide margin, I've been out at random times of the night in both cities and was not bored. TO especially: It's just on another scale by Canadian standards and is truly a world-class city despite what the rest of Canada thinks. There's so much vibrancy and buzz at all hours of the day you won't be bored. My friends who live in Montreal really like it there; I can see the culture and charm, but I would hesitate (with your background, IMO) to commit up to 9 years there. I found it very different from other parts of Canada.
I find Montreal to be livelier than Toronto. The place literally doesn't sleep. It's as close to NYC as you can find in Canada IMO.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:36 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I find Montreal to be livelier than Toronto. The place literally doesn't sleep. It's as close to NYC as you can find in Canada IMO.
I knew someone would have had to of countered the personal experience of someone else. I was waiting for that shoe to drop lol.. Maybe Svelten actually got around Toronto and went to those lively places that actually do exist and was framing his/her opinion based on those experiences that he/she experienced. Toronto's nightlife scene is broad based over broad areas. It is difficult for someone living here to experience it all let alone a casual visitor.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 4,080 times
Thanks again everyone! I wanted to update everyone on what happened. I'm headed to Toronto for my residency!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
Good luck to you!

Old 03-19-2018, 10:55 AM

9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I knew someone would have had to of countered the personal experience of someone else. I was waiting for that shoe to drop lol.. Maybe Svelten actually got around Toronto and went to those lively places that actually do exist and was framing his/her opinion based on those experiences that he/she experienced. Toronto's nightlife scene is broad based over broad areas. It is difficult for someone living here to experience it all let alone a casual visitor.
lol... Just stating my personal opinion based off of MY experience. No different than what Svelten posted.

Much like I find Miami to be a boring city, while others praise it like it's a top nightlife destination.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:08 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
lol... Just stating my personal opinion based off of MY experience. No different than what Svelten posted.

Much like I find Miami to be a boring city, while others praise it like it's a top nightlife destination.
Yeah but you piggybacked off of his experience so it sort of lacks authenticity. Of course, its your experience lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or