U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 AM

9,439 posts, read 18,355,294 times

Advertisements

As a native New Englander, many parts the Maritimes region reminds me of a slower, less developed, less crowded version of New England. The rocky shores, old lighthouses, coastal marshland, and small plots of farmland all reminded me of rural and coastal parts of New England. The clapboard homes, village and town aesthetics all drew similar comparisons. Saint John, NB to me looked sort of like a more industrial and economically challenged version of Portland, Maine.

The landscapes start changing and looking different in Prince Edward Island with the iron colored soil, rocks, and red sand beaches with more of a pastoral identity all its own. Nova Scotia's coast is definitely more remote, which to me is an advantage over the crowded summer weekends at New England beaches. Cape Breton has some more superlative coastal scenery along the Cabot Trail.

I won't draw too many comparisons with Newfoundland to New England, as Newfoundland is truly in a world of its own; especially in terms of the people, and remoteness and ruggedness of its coastline. Also some of New England's weather challenges are a walk in the park compared to Newfoundland. Though even in St. John's I noticed the row homes on the hillsides had a very similar architectural style to the ones in South Boston (Irish neighborhood in Boston).

I think what stands out in the Atlantic Canada is its undisturbed beauty and friendly people. I've found people very approachable and sociable around the Maritimes and Newfoundland. There seem to be a lot of nostalgic relics everywhere, like the small towns with General Stores that have a little bit of everything. It's a long hike to get out there. The drive from Boston to Halifax is about the same driving time as getting from Boston to North Carolina. But one of the biggest reasons why I enjoy visiting Atlantic Canada so much is because its such a beautiful coastal region that's as far away from the rat race as you can get.

In terms of accommodating a larger tourism base, the weather presents challenges even in the summer. It's such a short season and there can be wash out rainy days as I've experienced up there where you have to improvise and change your plans, and if you aren't outdoors, there may not be a whole lot to do. However when you do catch a nice day up there and you have the beach all to yourself in the sun, its pretty fantastic with a lot of picturesque scenery to boot.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-02-2016 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 10:14 AM

9,439 posts, read 18,355,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hawaii is actually easier to reach than NF because of reasonable air fares and good connections.
I don't think Hawaii is easier to get to from New Hampshire than Newfoundland. I flew one way on West Jet from St. John's to Boston back in July and that ticket was around $200. It was a one hour flight from St. John's to Halifax, an hour connection in Halifax (where you clear US customs, really easy) and another short one hour flight to Boston from there. Compare that to a six hour flight to the west coast, connecting time, and then another five hour trans Pacific flight to Hawaii, and the airfare is probably going to be about double what it is to reach Newfoundland. With all that said if you have any opportunity to get to Hawaii, by all means jump at it. I'd go with that option first before anywhere in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So someday I will sit on Cape Spear with a hot coffee laced with some Screech and watch the rising sun and the setting moon at the same time.
Watching the sunrise over the Atlantic from Signal Hill (with Cape Spear in the distance) was probably the highlight of my trip up to Newfoundland. The early morning light covering the hillsides of St. John, the harbor, and the open waters of the Atlantic was awesome. I went to Cape Spear too, it was incredibly windy there. It's a beautiful spot if you catch it at the right moment. But with some 40 - 50 mph wind gusts whipping off the cold water made my stay there quite a bit shorter than planned. I'd like to go back again, catch it on a nice day and hike the East Coast Trail from Cape Spear back to St. John's.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-02-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 10-09-2016, 10:56 PM

97 posts, read 60,314 times
Every ex-/Haligonian(?) I've met has a wicked sense of humour; the wilderness of central New Brunswick is - seriously! - enchanted, I wonder whether it be along some lay(?) line/s like Stonehenge is; Nova Scotia bears so many coves on the ocean coast; lots of endearing doll faces throughout southwestern Cape Breton. Quebec City feels very Maritimesque if you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or