U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2016, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281

Advertisements

My reality.

The next president of the USA is either going to be Trump or Hillary. Given that choice, it has to be Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2016, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,839 posts, read 1,693,661 times
Reputation: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"Leeches", although a characteristic and familiar refrain, is hardly an adjective that lends itself to that of an accurate assessment either.
It was a deliberately harsh characteristic. Just to show that there can be criticism laid on both sides - and it can be equally self-righteous and condescending.

Besides, accusing someone of "leeching" isn't the same as calling them a leech... it's a different level altogether. I can tell my wife she's being bitchy, but God help me if I ever call her a *****

But I have a feeling you get my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 AM
 
18,262 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Reputation: 13314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
It was a deliberately harsh characteristic. Just to show that there can be criticism laid on both sides - and it can be equally self-righteous and condescending.

Besides, accusing someone of "leeching" isn't the same as calling them a leech... it's a different level altogether. I can tell my wife she's being bitchy, but God help me if I ever call her a *****

But I have a feeling you get my point.
Yep! Although we again will have to agree to disagree with your generalized characterization in response to debating this offering of yours:

"And the rest of the Western word has not been pulling their fair share of the load long enough, letting the US do all of the heavy lifting. Not always in a smart way, I'd be the first to agree. But I think it's the high time we pointed our attention to fixing our internal problems, and let our friends buy themselves whatever defense they can afford. And if they can't be bothered with spending money on their own protection, perhaps they will be better off finding another sugar daddy. I am not talking about Canada, necessarily. For instance, Russia openly poisons a person under British protection, shoots down a Dutch passenger plane, and these countries have really nothing left to do but swallow this. Because neither is capable of taking Putin on. If the US just stepped away, how long would it be until the whole regions are dominated by the countries that have been investing into their militaries instead of welfare programs ? You know, China in SE Asia, Iran in the ME, etc. And I can just see a nice nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan, Israel and Iran, South and North Koreas. Perhaps even China and Japan. Surely will be good for the world.

Could the EU and Canada and the rest of the "golden billion" replace the US as the global peacemaker ? Probably, but not without major investments - that would definitely impact the quality of life - and major sacrifices, and likely not in a timely manner. The US provides over 70% of NATO strength, and there's currently no alternative to NATO. I doubt that the rest of our glorious Allies combined would be able to change the course of events much in short enough time to prevent any of the pressure point from exploding."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 AM
 
15,386 posts, read 5,205,963 times
Reputation: 5907
I want to reflect on a few things here first if I may. My first trip to Canada and actually anywhere outside the US was to Canada this summer.I loved it, myself ,wife and youngest daughter all took a road trip up the East coast to PEI and were there for two weeks.I can honestly say they (you) were some of the nicest people I have ever met and I never really understood how much it meant to other countries like Canada how our politics or elections affect other countries.Yes I apologize for my American ignorance.
Americans and this election are plain crazy.I am one who feels that both candidates are less then attractive
but Donald Trump is an embarrassment that just won't go away .As Mrs Clinton said and many people agreed with her but it was a political no-no Trump supporters are just deplorable .Example the leader of the KKK(Klu Klux KLan) is a man by the name of David Duke anyone that does not think he is deplorable is just bat crazy,simple as that.Thing is many of Trump supporters are anti Obama supporters ,people who hated him from the start for obvious reasons and now look at this as get(pay) back time.Yes I know it's stupid but unfortunately this is one American election that has gotten away from the American people.
As you can probably guess I am voting Mrs Clinton who all so has her own problems,is she perfect or great ...NO.She does know what a country needs to run Donald Trump does not and yes it is that simple.People say well Bill is a womanizer,so, he won't be president and he isn't running and remember the Clintons are not the ones who have had three different spouse's.Just saying.Hillary Clinton sat in front of a Congressional hearing and for almost eleven it twelve hours answered every question thrown at her be it Benghazi or e-mails and came out looking more presidential then when it started. Look I admit we as Americans have our problems and we need to and are working on them .Guns are a big problem but remember 5% of all Americans own almost 65% of all the guns .Police behavior ,training needs to be looked at there is a problem. All American Police are not bad and it is a small group that makes them all look bad but this also must change.
Okay I will sign off now by asking you the Canadian People not to do what I am going to do ,please don't lump all Americans together.All of us are not crazy. I will also say that my time in Canada was short I can honestly say every single Canadian citizen I met was wonderful and my wife and I are looking forward to the time we can go back.Be well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,745 posts, read 4,163,343 times
Reputation: 15456
If he gets in, the country is still the same country, just with another leader.

I love taking short weekend shopping/holiday/casino trips into the states and that isn't about to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,745 posts, read 4,163,343 times
Reputation: 15456
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I want to reflect on a few things here first if I may. My first trip to Canada and actually anywhere outside the US was to Canada this summer.I loved it, myself ,wife and youngest daughter all took a road trip up the East coast to PEI and were there for two weeks.I can honestly say they (you) were some of the nicest people I have ever met and I never really understood how much it meant to other countries like Canada how our politics or elections affect other countries.Yes I apologize for my American ignorance.
Americans and this election are plain crazy.I am one who feels that both candidates are less then attractive
but Donald Trump is an embarrassment that just won't go away .As Mrs Clinton said and many people agreed with her but it was a political no-no Trump supporters are just deplorable .Example the leader of the KKK(Klu Klux KLan) is a man by the name of David Duke anyone that does not think he is deplorable is just bat crazy,simple as that.Thing is many of Trump supporters are anti Obama supporters ,people who hated him from the start for obvious reasons and now look at this as get(pay) back time.Yes I know it's stupid but unfortunately this is one American election that has gotten away from the American people.
As you can probably guess I am voting Mrs Clinton who all so has her own problems,is she perfect or great ...NO.She does know what a country needs to run Donald Trump does not and yes it is that simple.People say well Bill is a womanizer,so, he won't be president and he isn't running and remember the Clintons are not the ones who have had three different spouse's.Just saying.Hillary Clinton sat in front of a Congressional hearing and for almost eleven it twelve hours answered every question thrown at her be it Benghazi or e-mails and came out looking more presidential then when it started. Look I admit we as Americans have our problems and we need to and are working on them .Guns are a big problem but remember 5% of all Americans own almost 65% of all the guns .Police behavior ,training needs to be looked at there is a problem. All American Police are not bad and it is a small group that makes them all look bad but this also must change.
Okay I will sign off now by asking you the Canadian People not to do what I am going to do ,please don't lump all Americans together.All of us are not crazy. I will also say that my time in Canada was short I can honestly say every single Canadian citizen I met was wonderful and my wife and I are looking forward to the time we can go back.Be well.
Great post!~ Exactly the way I see it too and glad you and your family were treated well on the Canadian east coast. Rep given!

We also have an idiot in power IMO. You just have to wait it out and hope that they surprise us with intelligent decisions during their rein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,839 posts, read 1,693,661 times
Reputation: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I want to reflect on a few things here first if I may. My first trip to Canada and actually anywhere outside the US was to Canada this summer.I loved it, myself ,wife and youngest daughter all took a road trip up the East coast to PEI and were there for two weeks.I can honestly say they (you) were some of the nicest people I have ever met and I never really understood how much it meant to other countries like Canada how our politics or elections affect other countries.Yes I apologize for my American ignorance.
Americans and this election are plain crazy.I am one who feels that both candidates are less then attractive
but Donald Trump is an embarrassment that just won't go away .As Mrs Clinton said and many people agreed with her but it was a political no-no Trump supporters are just deplorable .Example the leader of the KKK(Klu Klux KLan) is a man by the name of David Duke anyone that does not think he is deplorable is just bat crazy,simple as that.Thing is many of Trump supporters are anti Obama supporters ,people who hated him from the start for obvious reasons and now look at this as get(pay) back time.Yes I know it's stupid but unfortunately this is one American election that has gotten away from the American people.
As you can probably guess I am voting Mrs Clinton who all so has her own problems,is she perfect or great ...NO.She does know what a country needs to run Donald Trump does not and yes it is that simple.People say well Bill is a womanizer,so, he won't be president and he isn't running and remember the Clintons are not the ones who have had three different spouse's.Just saying.Hillary Clinton sat in front of a Congressional hearing and for almost eleven it twelve hours answered every question thrown at her be it Benghazi or e-mails and came out looking more presidential then when it started. Look I admit we as Americans have our problems and we need to and are working on them .Guns are a big problem but remember 5% of all Americans own almost 65% of all the guns .Police behavior ,training needs to be looked at there is a problem. All American Police are not bad and it is a small group that makes them all look bad but this also must change.
Okay I will sign off now by asking you the Canadian People not to do what I am going to do ,please don't lump all Americans together.All of us are not crazy. I will also say that my time in Canada was short I can honestly say every single Canadian citizen I met was wonderful and my wife and I are looking forward to the time we can go back.Be well.
I don't like either of them but I believe that while electing The Donald will be an embarrassment, electing Hillary would be another nail into the coffin of American democracy, after this we may as well just give up elections all together and just let the couple powerful oligarchic families take turns running the country.

As to KKK voting for Trump - whom do you think the radical racist haters and murderers from BLM are voting for ? Both sides have some fringe elements supporting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,330 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Reputation: 5389
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I want to reflect on a few things here first if I may. My first trip to Canada and actually anywhere outside the US was to Canada this summer.I loved it, myself ,wife and youngest daughter all took a road trip up the East coast to PEI and were there for two weeks.I can honestly say they (you) were some of the nicest people I have ever met and I never really understood how much it meant to other countries like Canada how our politics or elections affect other countries.Yes I apologize for my American ignorance.
Americans and this election are plain crazy.I am one who feels that both candidates are less then attractive
but Donald Trump is an embarrassment that just won't go away .As Mrs Clinton said and many people agreed with her but it was a political no-no Trump supporters are just deplorable .Example the leader of the KKK(Klu Klux KLan) is a man by the name of David Duke anyone that does not think he is deplorable is just bat crazy,simple as that.Thing is many of Trump supporters are anti Obama supporters ,people who hated him from the start for obvious reasons and now look at this as get(pay) back time.Yes I know it's stupid but unfortunately this is one American election that has gotten away from the American people.
As you can probably guess I am voting Mrs Clinton who all so has her own problems,is she perfect or great ...NO.She does know what a country needs to run Donald Trump does not and yes it is that simple.People say well Bill is a womanizer,so, he won't be president and he isn't running and remember the Clintons are not the ones who have had three different spouse's.Just saying.Hillary Clinton sat in front of a Congressional hearing and for almost eleven it twelve hours answered every question thrown at her be it Benghazi or e-mails and came out looking more presidential then when it started. Look I admit we as Americans have our problems and we need to and are working on them .Guns are a big problem but remember 5% of all Americans own almost 65% of all the guns .Police behavior ,training needs to be looked at there is a problem. All American Police are not bad and it is a small group that makes them all look bad but this also must change.
Okay I will sign off now by asking you the Canadian People not to do what I am going to do ,please don't lump all Americans together.All of us are not crazy. I will also say that my time in Canada was short I can honestly say every single Canadian citizen I met was wonderful and my wife and I are looking forward to the time we can go back.Be well.
Where do you live in the US? I want you to read this short article from NPR. I actually heard the interview on Monday morning. The Georgia auto mechanic sounded normal enough until the very end of the interview when he went off the rails:

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/geo...he-government/



“Hillary wants to be elected and Donald Trump wants to be elected,” Jimmy Arno said. “They’re going to talk bad about everything that they can about the other candidate so that you vote for them. I discount the whole thing, because I want to know what your plan is to help the country, that’s what I want to know. Donald Trump, if I understand him correctly, and I hope I do, he wants to stop the flow of illegal people in this country. Stop the flow. Well, by stopping the flow, more Americans have an opportunity to go to work because they’re not losing their jobs to illegal immigrants.”


Jimmy Arno told NPR he was considering joining a local militia group, because he wants to be prepared in case his darkest fears become a reality.


“Should martial law, civil war — whatever — break out in this country, they will uphold the Constitution and rebuild our loss,” he said. “The war that’s going to break out if Hillary Clinton’s elected, if that happens. Your patriots are going to overthrow the government.”


There are many many more Trump supporters even worse than this guy that advocate killing HC if she is elected.

This should give all of us pause that a sane man would advocate overthrowing the Fed Govt cause an election did not go his way. Think of where this man lives, think of the framed portrait he has hanging over his sofa (good ol Bobby Lee), and then try to understand why to this day it seems the US South is still a noose around our neck.

I still think there should have been mass executions of southerners (at least the Plantation owners and the Confederate Officers) with jail time for the grunt confederates after the last Civil War for their treason and taking up arms against their own nation simply because a free and fair election did not go their way. If the Fed Govt had been much tougher against those anarchists back then, today's southerners may have a different mindset than to threaten Civil War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,950 posts, read 7,318,149 times
Reputation: 3731
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Where do you live in the US? I want you to read this short article from NPR. I actually heard the interview on Monday morning. The Georgia auto mechanic sounded normal enough until the very end of the interview when he went off the rails:

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/geo...he-government/



“Hillary wants to be elected and Donald Trump wants to be elected,” Jimmy Arno said. “They’re going to talk bad about everything that they can about the other candidate so that you vote for them. I discount the whole thing, because I want to know what your plan is to help the country, that’s what I want to know. Donald Trump, if I understand him correctly, and I hope I do, he wants to stop the flow of illegal people in this country. Stop the flow. Well, by stopping the flow, more Americans have an opportunity to go to work because they’re not losing their jobs to illegal immigrants.”


Jimmy Arno told NPR he was considering joining a local militia group, because he wants to be prepared in case his darkest fears become a reality.


“Should martial law, civil war — whatever — break out in this country, they will uphold the Constitution and rebuild our loss,” he said. “The war that’s going to break out if Hillary Clinton’s elected, if that happens. Your patriots are going to overthrow the government.”


There are many many more Trump supporters even worse than this guy that advocate killing HC if she is elected.

This should give all of us pause that a sane man would advocate overthrowing the Fed Govt cause an election did not go his way. Think of where this man lives, think of the framed portrait he has hanging over his sofa (good ol Bobby Lee), and then try to understand why to this day it seems the US South is still a noose around our neck.

I still think there should have been mass executions of southerners (at least the Plantation owners and the Confederate Officers) with jail time for the grunt confederates after the last Civil War for their treason and taking up arms against their own nation simply because a free and fair election did not go their way. If the Fed Govt had been much tougher against those anarchists back then, today's southerners may have a different mindset than to threaten Civil War.
Sigh...... What is remotely patriotic about threatening to overthrow a government that's voted in by the most people? When I see things like this (which usually come out of the South) I sometimes think we in the North should have just let them leave when they did. When taking the South out of many indicators (health, education, crime, etc) the US looks much better overall.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 09-29-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 01:55 PM
 
15,386 posts, read 5,205,963 times
Reputation: 5907
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Where do you live in the US?

I still think there should have been mass executions of southerners (at least the Plantation owners and the Confederate Officers) with jail time for the grunt confederates after the last Civil War for their treason and taking up arms against their own nation simply because a free and fair election did not go their way. If the Fed Govt had been much tougher against those anarchists back then, today's southerners may have a different mindset than to threaten Civil War.

I live in the mid Atlantic of the US.So you think there should have been mass executions after the civil war and that would have stopped all the trouble, how very Hitler esq of you.Unfortinatly there is an ignorant eliment that comes out in every election and this more than anything else is the embarrassing thing about US polotics. If anyone thinks killing someone else is the answer they are just simply too stupid to understand they are the problem ,not the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top