U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 07:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,445,399 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm definitely not going there any time soon.

My favourite tweet that I've seen through all of this said "Can't even look at an orange right now." Some fellow named Jeremy Keehn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 08:49 PM

239 posts, read 140,307 times
Does anyone know how attitudes towards the US/Americans differ across Canada? Are negative opinions more prevalent in certain provinces or is it fairly uniform through Canada? I've been under the impression that people in Ontario and Quebec are more likely to have strong opinions towards the U.S. than western Canadians, though that's probably not true.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:01 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,779,288 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
Does anyone know how attitudes towards the US/Americans differ across Canada? Are negative opinions more prevalent in certain provinces or is it fairly uniform through Canada? I've been under the impression that people in Ontario and Quebec are more likely to have strong opinions towards the U.S. than western Canadians, though that's probably not true.
Interesting questions ... but I have not idea what the answer is? I think it depends more of the topic ex Americans in what context. I know from my experiences it is not really a hate/dislike towards American's ... but certain types of Americans or values ex. people that believe they have the right to have guns, people that think it is okay to be shoot and kill unarmed people because they are a certain skin colour.... crazy things that this that seem to happen in the USA which seem so clearly wrong ... but seem to make sense to Americans in those areas.

Now my beef is Americans who can vote for a clearly openly racist and sexist man .... not sure how a parent could sit down and explain to their female child how they could support a man who talks about women (even his own female children) so crudely. Disgusting behaviour. What message is that sending. Anti Bullying ... um well I guess you can throw that one out the window too. After all if bullying gets to a job as a president ... then it must be okay.

Crazy ... crazy ... crazy ! That craziness syndrome going on in that region of the world better not be spreading north .

Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 PM

873 posts, read 814,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
My beef isn't with Americans themselves but the actual country and what it stands for.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 PM

3,901 posts, read 2,726,232 times
Calgarian in California assaulted on election night; was taunted with homophobic slurs:

Calgarian in Santa Monica assaulted on U.S. election night | Metro News

Old 11-09-2016, 11:37 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,750,830 times
To answer the OP's question, no. I am still willing to travel to the US.

I don't see a lot of change happening, at least as far as Canada is concerned. Mr. Trump may say a lot, and he may be uneducated in international law (and law in general), and Canada-US treaties, but I'm pretty sure that he will surround himself with people who know both of the above, and who will advise him accordingly.

I don't see his NAFTA threats as anything to worry about--to the best of my knowledge, the 1988 FTA is still in effect despite NAFTA (i.e. NAFTA does not supercede the 1988 FTA), so anything he does to NAFTA should not affect Canada.

It is important to note that Mr. Trump is not, and won't be, a dictator. He can only act in accordance with the US Constitution and anything he initiates (with very few exceptions) must be passed through Congress. To us Canadians, used to our Parliamentary system, it sounds like a slam-dunk with a Republican congress, but in the American system, it is not. American Congresspeople can vote in the best interests of their district, even if it goes against the wishes of their party. To that end, I can see him caving on "No foreigners!" to the interests of border states that depend on cross-border tourism and shopping; especially on the Canadian border.

Mr. Trump has been elected as the US President. Now, he no longer can play to disaffected voters in the United States; he has to play to the world. None of us outside the US had a voice in the election; but now, he will have to deal with our democratically-elected leaders, who can carry our voice to him. This is our chance to tell him what we think.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:11 AM

5,951 posts, read 7,320,675 times
While I don't support him by any stretch, he hasn't made a mention of Canada at all. I think nearly all of his anti NAFTA rhetoric is directed to Mexico instead of Canada. I think I'm more likely to make visits to Canada now though.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:50 AM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

I don't see a lot of change happening, at least as far as Canada is concerned. Mr. Trump may say a lot, and he may be uneducated in international law (and law in general), and Canada-US treaties, but I'm pretty sure that he will surround himself with people who know both of the above, and who will advise him accordingly.

I don't see his NAFTA threats as anything to worry about--to the best of my knowledge, the 1988 FTA is still in effect despite NAFTA (i.e. NAFTA does not supercede the 1988 FTA), so anything he does to NAFTA should not affect Canada.

It is important to note that Mr. Trump is not, and won't be, a dictator. He can only act in accordance with the US Constitution and anything he initiates (with very few exceptions) must be passed through Congress. To us Canadians, used to our Parliamentary system, it sounds like a slam-dunk with a Republican congress, but in the American system, it is not. American Congresspeople can vote in the best interests of their district, even if it goes against the wishes of their party. To that end, I can see him caving on "No foreigners!" to the interests of border states that depend on cross-border tourism and shopping; especially on the Canadian border.

Mr. Trump has been elected as the US President. Now, he no longer can play to disaffected voters in the United States; he has to play to the world. None of us outside the US had a voice in the election; but now, he will have to deal with our democratically-elected leaders, who can carry our voice to him. This is our chance to tell him what we think.
The American public cheering this protectionist azzhat on need to stop and consider what's been happening to Trump's Brand name throughout this cycle.

They need to consider how that would apply to them in general as a country if this boob goes about ripping up long term agreements negotiated in good faith.

Who will ever trust them again to even consider entering into an agreement with them that relies upon some co-operative give and take if they have to consider every agreement being worthless beyond a 4 year turn-over?

Trump did nothing but pander to those Americans believing solidly that their country sacrifices all and gains nothing while every other country gains with no sacrifice.

He's even made comments about rolling back the Obama normalization of relations with Cuba. This clown knows no boundaries.....yet.

Those of us with a footprint in the U.S. will now watch and wait to see the resultant tenor of the American public. My wife and I will simply dump our house and car down there and winter in some other warmer destination like the aforementioned Cuba instead.

A flight, is a flight, is a flight and golf is still golf wherever.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:11 PM

34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times
For the next 4 years RWNJs are going to be running the show down there, lets see what they can do in 4 years.
Evidently a big wall will be built thus solving their illegal immigrant problem.
ISIS will be bombed out of existence and there will be no more Muslims in the USA thereby solving the terrorist threat.
All the jobs will be brought back to the USA thereby making every one rich and happy.
All the legislation enacted during the Obama years will be repealed which will make all the righties happy.
Healthcare? you're on your own.
Climate change? nothing but a hoax.
Best of luck to our American neighbors, you wanted change? be careful what you wish for,you just might get it.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:20 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Good post.

I wonder if he even knows about FTA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or